Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to 'gee' up daughter?!!!!!

How to 'gee' up daughter?!!!!!

Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default How to 'gee' up daughter?!!!!!

Hi all,
We have now firmly decided to return to Perth with our two kids 8 & 5. Whilst on holiday last week we put it to the kids and although our son (5years) doesn't seem bothered in the slightest, our daughter really surprised us with her refusal to go!! She was born there, and been back when 4 years old for a brief and rather unhappy period, and I guess this is also putting her off going again. She is a shy girl and its only been the last year that she has really come out of her shell confidence wise. She has some great friends and really loves her school. This is tearing my wife apart with the worry of her being 'set back' once again of having to start over in Australia.
How did you guys cope with kids, starting (and finding!) schools etc?
I say that she will be fine in the long run but doesn't completely stop the worry!!!
Dan
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice
Default Re: How to 'gee' up daughter?!!!!!

She will be worried as all of us are when moving to the unknown, but my experience (with Daughter aged 7 on arrival) is they fit in and adapt pretty quickly.with support and encouragement.
apart from school you could get her involved with something like Guides, netball, swimming, Karate or another pursuit to make friends and feel involved in something.
We have been here a while now and had a drama whn we said we were moving (from rented to our own home) as the area is new, but the transition has gone well she is still in the same school and Loves having her "own house"
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Yeah thanks for that!
Stupidly I hadn't even thought of other activities!! Derr!! She loves dancing so that would be a great thing for her to get into over there! Thanks again!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dan, My youngest was 8 when we first went, and it took her a few weeks to settle in, but she soon made wonderful friends, and loved the lifestyle.

I would jolly her along with lots of plans for good things to do and places to go. If you could find other BE's with daughters of a similar age in the area you're going to, she mightn't feel so worried. When she starts to talk about it with school friends, she'll find most of them are envious, which should moke her more positive about it all.