Reload this Page >

how does the nursing differ?

how does the nursing differ?

Old May 15th 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

lou_pete will become famous soon enough
Unhappy how does the nursing differ?

Hi
We are moving to Victoria at the end of the year (we hope), can any other nurses give me a little insight as to how the nursing differs from the UK? I have read all sorts of scarey things- like the 'foreign nurses' get all the horrible hours and are basically treated like an inconvenience. This is really giving me the willies about relocating, but I can't believe its like this everywhere.
Just hoping to get a better insight.
Thanks.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how does the nursing differ?

Originally Posted by lou_pete
Hi
We are moving to Victoria at the end of the year (we hope), can any other nurses give me a little insight as to how the nursing differs from the UK? I have read all sorts of scarey things- like the 'foreign nurses' get all the horrible hours and are basically treated like an inconvenience. This is really giving me the willies about relocating, but I can't believe its like this everywhere.
Just hoping to get a better insight.
Thanks.
Have you been on to the nursing forum on this site? You can browse there and see what people say. I won't go into my experiences as I tend to be a bit negative. Nursing seems to be like it was in the UK in the early 1980's - in my opinion, but with the added procedures/policies for fear of litigation, as in any wstern type country I expect. Others will see it differently - have a browse in the nursing forum to get a feel of views on the different specialities etc. Community is very different to hospital in the way nurses practice, get paid etc, for example. It's a huge subject, difficult to make an overall assessment of. Can say that foreign nurses (in my experience in QLD) are not given all the horrible shifts/jobs etc and are very welcomed by the majority of organisations and colleagues. I don't see them being treated any differently. I certainly haven't been. There will always be individuals who are not so friendly - the world over.