Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How does Brissy compare to Adelaide???

How does Brissy compare to Adelaide???

Old Apr 4th 2006, 4:50 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough
Default How does Brissy compare to Adelaide???

Hiya

Vague question i know but bear with me....

Weve been living in Adelaide for 1 year now, and although we do generally like it, we do find it a bit boring. There are pubs n clubs but just no atmosphere in the city ( no hustle n bustle). Even on a Friday night, theres hardly anyone out n about ( which i can understand in the burbs.. but not city centre ?) Adelaide was great in March hosting the festival, fringe, Clipsal etc.. but as that was everything crammed into 1 month, thats your wack til next year ..

There isnt a lot of shoppin, there are a couple of big malls, but certainly not much in the CBD. The city itself is rather small.. with only 1 tall building so isnt exactly a metropolis. I find employment rather restricting, who you know.. not what The beaches are nice but not "wow" that i have seen elsewhere, and only 2x of them have the trendy cafes, bars etc.. most have an icecream kiosk n thats that. The major plus about living here tho is that we have a 1/4 acre plot nice 3x bed 30 mins from city & 15 mins from beach...

I luv Melbourne, but the colder weather is a no no and im sure we wouldnt be able to afford anywhere near what we have now. Perth is very nice i thought, beaches were fab, but its just not for us at the moment, we like our frequent last minute city breaks, and the distance & cost is a no no for that.

I dont mean it to sound all doom n gloom, but these are the things i am struggling with at the moment, we dont wanna go out partying every weekend, but it is nice to know that you can "when" you want.. if you can understand what im waffling about

Brisbane is next for us to check out...so was wondering how Brisbane compares? I was not impressed with the summer weather here at all.. so i know that Brissie gets hot.. but humid. How far away is the gold coast from the southern suburbs? Can you have a decent city/beach commute...

Thanks

Karen x
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:11 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Default Re: How does Brissy compare to Adelaide???

Bump!
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Brisbane is a busy city, in comparison, i have only spent a few weeks a year in adelaide so not qualified completely.

gold coast is attractive beaches and all, around 1hours drive from brisbane, surfers etc, night clubs all the usual bumf,

there is a beach in brisbane city, on south bank as good as it gets, as really its all bayside, which is swampland really, and not the idyllic beaches you see on the posties,,,

apart from the islands of course... but i am sure one of the bayside swampies could give you more a indicative answer on to that one.

Brisbane is perfect for going up and down the coast for getting away at last minute.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sye
Hiya

I luv Melbourne, but the colder weather is a no no and im sure we wouldnt be able to afford anywhere near what we have now.
The average temperature difference between Melbourne and Adelaide on a month by month basis is only at most 3 degrees difference. I know where I would prefer to be living based on my visits to Adelaide
Old Apr 5th 2006, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sye
Hiya
i know that Brissie gets hot.. but humid.

Karen x
I find it's only unbearable for about 2 or 3 weeks in the year. This year I thought was a doddle!
Old Apr 5th 2006, 12:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
The average temperature difference between Melbourne and Adelaide on a month by month basis is only at most 3 degrees difference. I know where I would prefer to be living based on my visits to Adelaide
couldn't agree more. We cut short our Adelaide visit cos we were so bored
Old Apr 5th 2006, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Metropolitan Brissie is substantially bigger than Adelaide and the Gold and sunshine coasts aren't far away. It's also much greener than the countryside around Adelaide and, like others have said, has a real buzz about the place. I'd recommend it highly.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:19 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Hiya

Thanks for the info guys..Sounds like what we need

Were going for a nosey in June, and prob will do again.. as its gonna be next year before we can actually make a move ( waiting on a new visa & going holiday to Canada & UK)

I wouldnt see work being a problem either, Si's a civil engineer & im admin/ PA...so im feeling positive

I feel bad about slating Adelaide sometimes...We have had good times here and it deffo has been a good starter place, but it becomes apparent very quickly that once youve seen it..........Youve done it

Thanks again...food for thought

Karen x
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
Adelaide's winters are probably colder and wetter than people realise, comparable, in fact, to Melbourne. Sydney is a fair bit warmer, and Brissy is warmer again.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 1:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sye
Hiya

Thanks for the info guys..Sounds like what we need

Were going for a nosey in June, and prob will do again.. as its gonna be next year before we can actually make a move ( waiting on a new visa & going holiday to Canada & UK)

I wouldnt see work being a problem either, Si's a civil engineer & im admin/ PA...so im feeling positive

I feel bad about slating Adelaide sometimes...We have had good times here and it deffo has been a good starter place, but it becomes apparent very quickly that once youve seen it..........Youve done it

Thanks again...food for thought

Karen x
I've never been to Adelaide so can't comment but I don't think I've met an Aussie who has got a good thing to say about the place.

Kind of tells you something.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 4:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: How does Brissy compare to Adelaide???

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I've never been to Adelaide so can't comment but I don't think I've met an Aussie who has got a good thing to say about the place.
I love Adelaide. I'm planning to buy a house in the Adelaide hills when I go back home.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to Adelaide before, but we are heading up there this summer, I'm so sad to hear there is so much negativety about the place.
All we have heard outside BE is only positive stuff and thats from Australian as well as English who have lived or holiday there.
I'm sure all parts of Australia got its good points and its bad points.
Its so sad to hear so many people s%$g the place off.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 9:51 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
I've never been to Adelaide before, but we are heading up there this summer, I'm so sad to hear there is so much negativety about the place.
All we have heard outside BE is only positive stuff and thats from Australian as well as English who have lived or holiday there.
I'm sure all parts of Australia got its good points and its bad points.
Its so sad to hear so many people s%$g the place off.
I personally don't have a real problem with Adelaide; it's a perfectly nice city, but it just doesn't appeal to a lot of people because it's 'quiet' compared to other cities and fairly isolated. I actually like quiet as I'm, mainly going to Aus for the Natural history and open spaces, but I can completely understand why many folks want a bit more than what Adelaide has to offer, and like you say, there are compensations for living there too.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:22 am
The Analog Kid

sa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond reputesa-redback has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How does Brissy compare to Adelaide???

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I personally don't have a real problem with Adelaide; it's a perfectly nice city, but it just doesn't appeal to a lot of people because it's 'quiet' compared to other cities and fairly isolated. I actually like quiet as I'm, mainly going to Aus for the Natural history and open spaces, but I can completely understand why many folks want a bit more than what Adelaide has to offer, and like you say, there are compensations for living there too.
Ditto
We love Adelaide and our lads (16 & 13) love it too
Visited Adelaide, Sydney and Melbourne and Adelaide is the place for us so we fingers crossed will will head there.(If/when visa issued)
My sister has lived their for 16 years prefers it to Melbourne.

Also its ideally placed for visits to all the other major city's.

I suppose its like the difference between Lincoln/York and London/Manchester.
Some people cant handle London but others can handle Lincoln but it doesn't make them any less interesting.
Old Apr 6th 2006, 12:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sa-redback

Also its ideally placed for visits to all the other major city's.
Hmmmm, why?? Its only like a 30 hour drive to Perth and about 9 hours to Melly, just down the road

I can certainly think of other major cities that are more ideally placed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.