Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do I get AUD notes into Oz bank account from UK?

How do I get AUD notes into Oz bank account from UK?

Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default How do I get AUD notes into Oz bank account from UK?

Hi all

We emigrate in 2.5 weeks and will be transferring most of our money using HiFx however we have a number of dollars which is in good old folding. (over $10k)

Does anyone know how I get this money into an Oz bank account without taking it with us, i.e. from the UK?

I dont want to exchange it back and then re-exchange it ideally.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sean and Rach
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get AUD notes into Oz bank account from UK?

Originally Posted by seanpears99
I dont want to exchange it back and then re-exchange it ideally.
You are saying you have $10,000 lying around the house??? (Where exactly do you live ?) And you want to get it to Oz without physically carrying it in your back pocket?

Well, obviously that's sensible. I'd phone HiFX or Ozforex and see what they can do for you. I know both use Barclays Bank in the UK. Maybe (very maybe) you can physically pay it into the HiFX account or Ozforex account at a Barclays branch.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Thanks, I live in Lapland, just next to Santa

I was hoping I could telegraph the money like in the old westerns lol
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:45 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Put it in a jiffy bag, I will pm you the address.....
Old Jun 16th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Windsor2 will become famous soon enoughWindsor2 will become famous soon enough
Post Re: How do I get AUD notes into Oz bank account from UK?

Seanpears99

As you may know we work closely with Westpac (the oldest and largest Aussie bank).

I'll pass your message on to them and ask them to come back to me with your best options.

Hope this helps

Mark Bodega
Director - HiFX
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

You can bring in up to $10k each without declaring it I think, and as you say, 'we', why not just bring it in your hand luggage having changed it for large demonination notes?

What's the problem with that?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

It was only the risk of taking it on my person and it not being there when I got there.

I am sure if I dropped it or lost it, I could go straight to customer services and it would have been handed in
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Windsor2 will become famous soon enoughWindsor2 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

As promised I've spoken to Westpac and they've come back with the following:

"Unfortunately we (Westpac) cannot accept cash deposits in the UK so it really comes down to whether the customers own bank will accept the funds. If it's the same as Australia then the bank will then convert it into GBP then transfer the funds which will again be converted back to AUD. This will not work out well for the customer. Western Union may be able to offer something or perhaps a bank over here will send the funds without having to convert the currency. That will depend on the policies of each bank. Otherwise they will have to take the cash back to Australia with them".

Best Regards

Mark Bodega
Director - HiFX

Last edited by Windsor2; Jun 17th 2009 at 12:05 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for taking the time to investigate this Mark.

We will be using HiFx to transfer the rest of our money so your commitment is a good indicator of the service to expect.

Regards

S & R
Old Jun 17th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

We took ours in our hand luggage and deposited as soon as possible.........I think it may be not more than AUD5K per person but would stand under correction......it's not too bulky if it's not in small denominations!