Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do house prices compare with wages

How do house prices compare with wages

Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:34 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do house prices compare with wages

Originally posted by jib
You mean Melbourne's full of bad actors

jib
No its full of cardboard houses. Then again so is most of Australia
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:59 am
Badge

Melborne is quite a bit cheaper than Sydney I found. I thought they would be about the same..

hard question to answer - for me personally, it is all quite affordable..

BM

Old Apr 26th 2004, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
hard question to answer - for me personally, it is all quite affordable..

BM
I wasn't as fortunate as you and couldn't afford the average house price in Toorak of over a $million . Brighton is not far off that for a 3 or 4 bed house. Places like Kew, Hawthorn, etc you're looking at $700k+ for a 3 bed with a small garden.

Maria, there are 300 suburbs in Melbourne....median house price per suburb ranges from $200k to over a $1m. i.e. there is a huge range of housing to suit all budgets. All depends on location, whether you head east/south east or north/west; how far out of the city you want to be, whether you want to be Bayside or not, etc etc.

Mike is right about the crime - there are certain areas you need to avoid. Springvale, Sunshine, Deer Park, Noble Park, Dandenong, Footscray to name but a few (and they all have such lovely sounding names too!). You just need to keep doing lots of research.

Good luck with your search
HP
Old Apr 26th 2004, 8:11 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by HiddenPaw

Mike is right about the crime - there are certain areas you need to avoid. Springvale, Sunshine, Deer Park, Noble Park, Dandenong, Footscray to name but a few (and they all have such lovely sounding names too!). You just need to keep doing lots of research.

HP
Personally, I don't mind too much about the crime - it will stop me from feeling too homesick.....

Anya.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 10:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mazzab2004
Hi there. I'm 31 and hubby is 38. You're probably thinking of Sue, a friend of mine who posted a thread about the best visa to apply for due to their ages etc. Sorry for any confusion
Maria
Maria
Thanks, that explains it. It's just that many people over 45 have been unable to get PR despite trying every which way.
I have got mine through a contributory parent visa.
I had tried in the past but was turned down because of my age despite being a registered Nurse. That is why I was curious.
Best wishes

G
Old Apr 26th 2004, 11:07 am
Just Joined

mazzab2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

HP
So which ones are the nice ones???
Old Apr 26th 2004, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't as fortunate as you and couldn't afford the average house price in Toorak of over a $million . Brighton is not far off that for a 3 or 4 bed house. Places like Kew, Hawthorn, etc you're looking at $700k+ for a 3 bed with a small garden.

Maria, there are 300 suburbs in Melbourne....median house price per suburb ranges from $200k to over a $1m. i.e. there is a huge range of housing to suit all budgets. All depends on location, whether you head east/south east or north/west; how far out of the city you want to be, whether you want to be Bayside or not, etc etc.

HP
The suburbs mentioned feature in the lowest rungs of median house prices by Melbourne suburb which is hardly unexpected. Like most places in the world you get a better class of criminal the more you pay for your real estate.

A report I read last week said that median house prices in all of Melbourne's 238 suburbs rose in 2003. As someone else said do a search on Melbourne in this forum and you'll throw up plenty of information.

OzTennis
Old Apr 26th 2004, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mazzab2004
So which ones are the nice ones???
Williamstown and ......... um, um

OzTennis
Old Apr 26th 2004, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by OzTennis
Williamstown and ......... um, um

OzTennis
Seriously, my quick guide off the top of my head thinking from A to Z:

Albert Park, Armadale, Auburn, Balaclave, Balwyn, Beacon Cove, Beaumaris, Brighton, Burwood, Camberwell, Canterbury, Carlton, Caulfield, Cheltenham, Darebin, Doncaster, Donvale, Eaglemont, Elwood, Essendon, Glenferrie, Greensborough, Hampton, Hartwell, Hawthorn, Huntingdale, Ivanhoe, Kooyong, Kew, Malvern, Mentone, Mont Albert, Mt Eliza, Ormond, Parkville, Prahran, Riversdale, Royal Park, Ripponlea, Sandringham, Sanctuary Lakes, South Yarra, Southbank, Surrey Hills, Toorak, Tooronga, Windsor AND Williamstown.

With apologies for any others I missed 'off the top of my head'. This is just a purely personal perspective I deliberately left out lots of nice suburbs in the outer suburbs and beyond you will notice - many of which are very affordable.

OzTennis
Old Apr 26th 2004, 8:31 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Seriously, my quick guide off the top of my head thinking from A to Z:
Your mind works in a strange way OT
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Bix
Your mind works in a strange way OT

Not really, I was looking at the listing of median house prices by suburb and it was arranged in alphabetical order and I grabbed them quickly from there!

OzTennis