Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you start the ball rolling?

How did you start the ball rolling?

Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:49 am
Just Joined

4amigos will become famous soon enough
Default How did you start the ball rolling?

Hello everyone my name's Louise and my hubby's steve. We have 2 children, we are living in Spain and are so excited about our possible new life in Australia. Im so sorry if this question has been asked before but how did you all start things off?
Did you visit Australia first?
Did you get in touch with an agent, or just go ahead and apply online
Anything you would do differently if you had to do it again?
Sorry if i have asked too many questions that have been asked before!
Looking forward to getting to know everyone here!
Lou & Steve
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:57 am
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How did you start the ball rolling?

HI All

Not visited not used an agent done it all myself pain in the arse but belive it will be worth it

Hoping to be there september 07

Regards

Martin

(OW Welcome to this site)
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome! Really you have never been? and done the visa all by yourself? Wow i bet that has save you some money, was your application straightforeward?
good luck by the way!

Anyone moving to Adelaide in the next year or 2?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 4amigos
Thank you for the welcome! Really you have never been? and done the visa all by yourself? Wow i bet that has save you some money, was your application straightforeward?
good luck by the way!

Anyone moving to Adelaide in the next year or 2?
Hoping to be there by June.Try and do a search on Weasy,who's just gone out there.She'll tell you loads about the place.Plus there's pomsinadelaide forum and adelaide brits forum that are great sources of information.We're going on a 495 sir visa.
Nick
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:22 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4amigos
Hello everyone my name's Louise and my hubby's steve. We have 2 children, we are living in Spain and are so excited about our possible new life in Australia. Im so sorry if this question has been asked before but how did you all start things off?
Did you visit Australia first?
Did you get in touch with an agent, or just go ahead and apply online
Anything you would do differently if you had to do it again?
Sorry if i have asked too many questions that have been asked before!
Looking forward to getting to know everyone here!
Lou & Steve
Welcome to BE guys.

We started with the online points test. We were short, so decided we needed an agent. We contacted a few agents and selected George Lombard who then guided us through the rest of the process.

I've been to Australia before for a year, but my husband has never been.

Ask as many questions as you can think off, the folks on here are a friendly bunch. There's a search option too, and in most cases, and questions you've got have been asked and answered before
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We spent a couple of years 'thinking about it' - (making the move) - Ste had previously done a 2 yr round-the-world trip, a year of it in Aus.

Eventually (!), we went to London to see an agent, had 'the interview', got the paperwork ball rolling and then booked and went on a short three week vacation to Aus (us, 2 tiddlypeeps and one M-I-L in tow),

I was deadly keen to migrate but had the proviso that I would not make the jump unless I visited - for me, with two kids in tow, it was too much of a risk without visiting - everyone is different though.

Basically, we had a holiday (which in other words meant get a feel for the place - I am quite instinctive and if I didn't like it, I knew I would know straightaway...) There is no way in 3 wks you can realise what it is like to live and work in another country and I knew that - for me (and us) getting a 'feel' for the place was the main priority -

Liked it a lot, had a great time - we covered a fair few miles in three weeks - saw Syd, Mel & Cns - lots of driving, lots of fun for the kids, a small amount of job enquiry/house enquiry/etc but the main thing was to go and have a holiday (remembering to take the visitor sunnies off) and have a good look around.

I'd always advocate a visit first but that is from my perspective - many can't afford it (our 3 wk trip cost us 10,000 pounds stirling - 3 adults, 2 kids, flights, car hire, hotel accomodation, spending money etc) which we slapped on the mortgage (as we were very lucky that we had a small mortgage).

For us it was worth the expense and the risk (Ste knew he wanted to go because he'd lived here before but to him it was worth the expense to make sure I liked it too - it can become far more costly to traverse the earth, only to return a short while later....)
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:44 am
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steandleigh
We spent a couple of years 'thinking about it' - (making the move) - Ste had previously done a 2 yr round-the-world trip, a year of it in Aus.

Eventually (!), we went to London to see an agent, had 'the interview', got the paperwork ball rolling and then booked and went on a short three week vacation to Aus (us, 2 tiddlypeeps and one M-I-L in tow),

I was deadly keen to migrate but had the proviso that I would not make the jump unless I visited - for me, with two kids in tow, it was too much of a risk without visiting - everyone is different though.

Basically, we had a holiday (which in other words meant get a feel for the place - I am quite instinctive and if I didn't like it, I knew I would know straightaway...) There is no way in 3 wks you can realise what it is like to live and work in another country and I knew that - for me (and us) getting a 'feel' for the place was the main priority -

Liked it a lot, had a great time - we covered a fair few miles in three weeks - saw Syd, Mel & Cns - lots of driving, lots of fun for the kids, a small amount of job enquiry/house enquiry/etc but the main thing was to go and have a holiday (remembering to take the visitor sunnies off) and have a good look around.

I'd always advocate a visit first but that is from my perspective - many can't afford it (our 3 wk trip cost us 10,000 pounds stirling - 3 adults, 2 kids, flights, car hire, hotel accomodation, spending money etc) which we slapped on the mortgage (as we were very lucky that we had a small mortgage).

For us it was worth the expense and the risk (Ste knew he wanted to go because he'd lived here before but to him it was worth the expense to make sure I liked it too - it can become far more costly to traverse the earth, only to return a short while later....)

Excellent Quote

Regards

Martin

</IMG>

Last edited by martin4414; Mar 24th 2007 at 10:55 am.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Have to agree with that.We wnt for 3 weeks - 2 adults and 2 kids - cost about £7000 in all,but we did everything we could - money no object.Hubby wasn't too keen on going before the holiday,but it blew him away.Now we're just waiting for the visa!!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick11
Have to agree with that.We wnt for 3 weeks - 2 adults and 2 kids - cost about £7000 in all,but we did everything we could - money no object.Hubby wasn't too keen on going before the holiday,but it blew him away.Now we're just waiting for the visa!!!
"Spooky Darling", as Dame Edna would say, we're from Nottingham too!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your responses. We have done a points test and fall short of 120 but have enough for SIR visa so will have to get some expert advise i think, as really dont know a lot about it!
I know what you mean about visiting a place and living in it...very different! We had a lot of holidays in Spain before we moved here, and while we love living here it is not the same as being on holiday here.
Thank you for the websites on Adelaide, will go and have a look at them now
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

"Spooky Darling", as Dame Edna would say, we're from Nottingham too!
OOHH where abouts - we're in Giltbrook - inbetween Eastwood and Kimberley
Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nick11
OOHH where abouts - we're in Giltbrook - inbetween Eastwood and Kimberley
Eek! Are you stalking me? We lived in Giltbrook and Kimberley for a while too!

What school did you go to?