Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you meet your Aussie partner?

How did you meet your Aussie partner?

Old Jul 25th 2004, 12:55 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
As long as all he did was collide with it....... mind you, I'm assuming it was him that was doing the cycling, could've been the sheep......!

Pretty much what I was thinking at the time!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 1:10 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you meet your Aussie partner?

Originally posted by bundy
Are you sitting comfortably?

I arrived in Nundle, NSW on a backapcker network bus in October 1999. The first stopover out of Sydney was this sheep station with backpacker hostel attached out in the middle of nowhere. I fell in love with the place the instant I hopped off the bus and decided to stay a couple of days.

The first time I saw Mr B he was running about in a violent floral print shirt making everyone laugh. The second time I saw him - and the first time I spoke to him - he came running up to me and dropped his pants to show me a massive wound on his hip from where he had just collided with a sheep whilst cycling down the hill. The third time I saw him he was riding a mocked-up 'bull' made of a 44-gallon drum suspended from the ceiling. He was wearing only a sock (you can use your imagination as to where the sock was placed ).

I arrived on the Thursday, kissed him on the Tuesday, woke up with him on a camping trip on the following Friday, moved in with him (living on an old bus) the day after. We were 22 and 21 years old respectively. We've lived together ever since.

I didn't leave the sheep station for 12 months, until we came back to the UK in October 2000.

And the rest, as they say, is history.
And try working that into your spouse visa application!!!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 5:32 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

I met Jen on the internet in 2000. We found out that we grew up about 3-4 miles away in rural Essex as kids. We met up, liked each other very much and went on to meet each other most weekends.

It was only a lot later that I found out that she had Oz citizenship from a 7 year stay in Brisbane in the 80's. After we got married and had kids Jen wanted to go back to Oz which is why I got my Spouse visa. We are planning to go to Melbourne even though neither of us have ever been there before!

Dave (the Pom) & Jen (the Aussie)
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

jimcrow is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm the Ausssie and for any of you that know Sydney sad to say that we met in Jacksons on George in the early hours of New Years Day 2003. I had been to a party and after cruising up George Street towards home finally found myself in Jackson's. My bloke had been in the lovely establishment all evening as he didn't know any better !! No seriously a great night had as we spent time in that January sightseeing, partying and getting to know each other and I am now living in England and we are in the process of applying for Spouse visa to move back to Oz.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 7:04 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Originally posted by jimcrow
I'm the Ausssie and for any of you that know Sydney sad to say that we met in Jacksons on George in the early hours of New Years Day 2003. I had been to a party and after cruising up George Street towards home finally found myself in Jackson's. My bloke had been in the lovely establishment all evening as he didn't know any better !! No seriously a great night had as we spent time in that January sightseeing, partying and getting to know each other and I am now living in England and we are in the process of applying for Spouse visa to move back to Oz.
Oh my.... Jacksons on George!! Now that is a blast from the past!! I remember having many a great night out there...

Sam
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:23 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

met mine a mere 10 days after i arrived in oz on my pr visa. went to a free music gig, got dragged off from the bar by this chick who correctly recognized me as being a pom. had a chat with the group she was with, and as i was leaving them to head home her housemate showed up. we were introduced, but just said "hello" to each other, nothing more. later on while drinking copious amounts of vodka on my balcony, i thought that she was the most beautiful person i had seen, and i had to meet her. so i headed out to the pub i'd overheard they were going to and tracked her down. the rest, as they say, is history......
Old Jul 26th 2004, 12:44 pm
ceinwen

Im the Aussie and met my hubbie in the uk .
He worked for a well known British bank and I was a nursery nurse at St Marys Hosp Paddington.I was constantly going into the bank to complain about charges !!!(due to a shopping habbit)and apparently he was very taken but didnt want to get in trouble (I liked him too ) .
Anyway hes other workmates got so fed up with him going on about me one of them asked me for my number and we ended up going out on 2 dates over a weekend .On the second date he asked me to marry him and I said yes !!

He actually didnt know I was an Aussie at the time as being in the Uk for 15 yrs I had no accent but I had been longing to come home and 5 yrs later with two daughters and a bump in tow seemed like a good time.

Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

As you can guess from my "name" I am the Aussie and was born to 10 pound poms in Whyalla, came over here when I was 3. Met hubby at work after he'd been "stalking" me for a week (I was totally unaware of his presence) till he collared me in the car park and started chatting me up. We ended up going out and nearly 15 years later are still together (we married about 9 months after we met). He didn't know straight away that I was an Australian citizen as I didn't have the accent (obviously enough). He's in the process of applying for a spouse visa so we can go to live over there.

So those of you holding out for a way to get to Australia - find out if your partner is a closet Aussie - they're not all necessarily that easy to spot!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ski trip to Victoria

met mine on a bus from Adelaide to the ski fields in Victoria. Her flat mate went out with a bloke I shared a house with at the time, and was asked to "look after her" for the weekend.
She was a bundle of fun on the ski fields and we had a great time toboganning in the snow . . . . just me being a big kid again!
On the way back, I asked her what she got up to during the week, but got a heap of busy schedules, so just left it at that once we got back . . . until she walked in my back garden about 2 months later and wanted me to take her to New Zealand for 2 weeks???
18 months later we married, shifted to Tasmania and now have 3 kids and are back in Adelaide.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I'm the Aussie...well I was a pom...moved to Oz when I was 10, then got Aussie Citizenship. Lived in Oz for 20 years and decided to go back to UK for a long holiday when my marriage broke up.

I was going to paint the town red and have a great time, meet lots of people, then come back to Oz just before Xmas, think about what I wanted to do with my life and move on from there.

Met Him Outdoors about 5 weeks after I got to UK. Was in the pub I frequented every week with all my workmates(I worked in a Large Hotel in Reading so only got one night off per week) and the girls and I had a bet on to see who could chat up the best looking bloke in the pub.

Me being the shy sensitive type, my friend went up to him and said "my friend likes you!!".....how embarassing. Anyway we ended up chatting, he took my phone number, rang me on the weekend, we went to Reading for a drink....and that was that.

I moved to the same town that he lived in, we eventually moved in together, he then moved back home (long story) and I bought my own place in Guildford.

Then after 6 years we had a beautiful daughter, and bought a house together. As our daughter was growing up, we then started talking about moving to Oz. He'd never been so could only imagine what it was like from my ramblings.

Anyway I managed to convince him that Oz was much better for bringing up our daughter....so here we are!!
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

lizzel is an unknown quantity at this point

I met my Aussie man whilst we were both working on South Molle Island in the Whitsundays. I had been backpacking around S.E.A and Oz and ended up working in the bar on this amazing island.

As my visa stated, I had to leave after working for 3 months in 1 place, but after a couple of weeks I managed to go back and this cute chef had started work whilst I had gone.

We got very drunk one night and neither of us remember much for that night or most of the following day, but we knew we had to spend time together sober! One week later, I moved into his appartment.

3 months later, I had to leave and spent 2 weeks travelling around New Zealand. When I came back to the island he had told me that whilst I was away he had sorted out a working visa to come home with me to the UK!

We spent a few months travelling around Oz and flew to UK almost 2 years ago. He proposed last July and we are getting married next June on the Island that we met on.
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:15 am
Banned

Kendonakasaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kala
Went to my local bar in Crawley one friday night, decided I fancied the man working behind the bar, chatted him up, got loads of free drinks off him (he he), got his number, went out on a date (first propper date in my life, as in actually meeting a person stone cold sober in daylight) the following sunday (very nervous) 3 1/2 years later we are married and he is still in CRAWLEY of all places. We are off to Geraldton (his home town in Oz) next year

Kala
(ps this falling in love with a guy from the other side of the world realy isn't that romantic, The amount of paperwork involved just to be able to have a relationship is SCARY
Hey Kala, you wouldn't happen to be small and Irish would you??
Old Jul 27th 2004, 8:21 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I met my other half at a Walkabout bar in Nottingham.

After a rather large day on the beer after a Forest match the lads ended up for a beer and a dance in the local outlet. Myself after a few to many needed to sit down before falling down and the only space left was a chair where 3 young ladies were chatting. So over I went sat myself down introduced myself the rest as they say is history. She was visiting a friend who was on a exchange course at Nottm Uni and the other half was based in London (aint they all). As Forest were playing Crystal Palace the following week I suggested we could meet after the match we did and we have been together since. It was tough in the start only seeing each other at weekends in either London or Nottingham but I wouldnt change it for the world.

TT

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
There's quite a few people here going to Oz on spouse visas....Bundy, Pollyanna, MLBonner, Pants, OzTennis, The Dagboys, and many more. I'm just curious as to how you all met your Aussie partners?

I'm not personally married to an Aussie so can't contribute to this thread!! I was just chatting with an Aussie friend who married a Pom and it was a really interesting story as to how they met..and then managed a long-distance relationship until they could be together...awwww!