British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How did you all find out about britishexpats.com? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-did-you-all-find-out-about-britishexpats-com-219536/)

Jimbo9 Mar 24th 2004 2:15 pm

How did you all find out about britishexpats.com?

I found out about it after I posted a thread on fool.co.uk , after we had signed up with agents. I only wish I had found out about it earlier!!!

It would have saved me £1500 in fees. Our application was a bog standard one with the missus being a nurse, but the agents never mentioned this site to us. A bit ironic given that they post on the immigration forum all the time!!

We have learned an awful lot from this site, and thanks to all the people who take time to answer questions and share opinions.

What are your experiences?

maxpaxx Mar 24th 2004 2:20 pm

Re: How did you all find out about britishexpats.com?

Originally posted by Jimbo9

I found out about it after I posted a thread on fool.co.uk , after we had signed up with agents. I only wish I had found out about it earlier!!!

It would have saved me £1500 in fees. Our application was a bog standard one with the missus being a nurse, but the agents never mentioned this site to us. A bit ironic given that they post on the immigration forum all the time!!

We have learned an awful lot from this site, and thanks to all the people who take time to answer questions and share opinions.

Mines quite funny!

I sold a book about emigrating to Aus on Ebay when I had finished with it.

When the lady sent the cheque she included a note which said she would hate me to miss out on this wealth of knowledge if I didn't already know about it...I accidently threw the note away but had a vague idea of the name..took bloody ages to find it though!
:D

andrea jc Mar 24th 2004 2:29 pm

My agent told me about this site...which I took to be a good sign! I'm using oe visas and they've been excellent so far.

Andrea jc

dreamers Mar 24th 2004 2:36 pm

I was just doing search after search for anything I could find on Oz and this came up - as you say, can't beat it for advice and general chat too! Totally addicted to it now.:)

kath29 Mar 24th 2004 2:46 pm

I did an internet search and up it popped. Have to say it's fast becoming an addiction for me too and I haven't even applyed for a visa yet:) I'm still fact finding.As I,m a nurse should I apply without using an agent?

WBB Mar 24th 2004 2:51 pm

i was told about it by a mate.
:)

Larissa Mar 24th 2004 2:56 pm

Originally posted by kath29
I did an internet search and up it popped. Have to say it's fast becoming an addiction for me too and I haven't even applyed for a visa yet:) I'm still fact finding. As I'm a nurse do you think it would be a waste of time using an agent?
Yes!!! You can find out everything you need to know on here.

I found it using a search engine, but didn't use it for a while as it used to be more intimidating back then? Maybe I've just got used to it though!

Jimbo9 Mar 24th 2004 2:58 pm

Originally posted by kath29
I did an internet search and up it popped. Have to say it's fast becoming an addiction for me too and I haven't even applyed for a visa yet:) I'm still fact finding. As I'm a nurse do you think it would be a waste of time using an agent?

Yes, absolutely - it will make me feel a lot better if you don't after we wasted so much cash. As a nurse you will sail through in terms of time taken to grant your visa. Only delay will be getting references and exam transcipts when getting your skills assessed.

good luck

Troood Mar 24th 2004 3:03 pm

Hiya

I'm a Recruitment Consultant (boo, hiss) and called a candidate up about a job. He told me he was emigrating to NZ the next day. We started chatting about his move and my plans to do the same and he recommended this site. I've not looked back since and have recommended it to lots of other people.

katherineiv Mar 24th 2004 4:10 pm

Hi all,
I found this site by going on another site.
I go on a site called essential baby.com where i went to meet other mums in oz and find out abit then one of the girls gave me this site.............
have got loads of imfo from here :D

cheers katherine :beer:

teach Mar 24th 2004 4:45 pm

Hiya,

I found this site when I asked Jeeves about emigrating to Oz. Best info he has ever given me, lol. Quite addicted now.

Sarah

soapy© Mar 24th 2004 4:49 pm

i was walking down the street and tripped over it.:p
i just wish we had found it sooner too. the amount of cash we would have save!!!!!

soapy

callé Mar 24th 2004 5:07 pm

Since Im a Brit livig in USA I read the Telegraph on line and posted a question on their expat sight. Avery helpful lady answered my question and told me about this site. (thank you, thank you):D

jensteve Mar 24th 2004 5:44 pm

Can't remember exactly, no one told me about this site, so I must have found it surfing.
Wish I had found it sooner though as would have not used an agent as all the information is on here. See lots of very helpful people on here.

Jenny

Sandy.l Mar 24th 2004 7:02 pm

I think I got the link from this site:

http://www.escapeartist.com/

I was a bit too shy to get involved at first so I spectated for ages, but I've got over it now. I find that the forums can feel a bit cliquey sometimes but mostly I find everyone really friendly and a bit of a laugh.

There are minds of useless and useful information on here! Both of which I enjoy!

sandy

mlbonner Mar 24th 2004 7:25 pm

Not sure whether it was google or jeeves that told me about this site, but i'm so glad i found it!

Have already recommended it to two other friends and will continue to do so!! :cool:

EssexNobby Mar 24th 2004 7:54 pm

I saw it mentioned in the UK based migration newspaper Australian News :)

Simone Mar 24th 2004 8:12 pm

I have no idea....

Surfing... link maybe via that escape artist site.
I think it was around the time I was looking for (dutch) people's personal stories on emigrating(fun!), but there's not many(well, not many that have their own website and post regular updates, though I've found 1 old dutch one (the've stopped posting) and 1 other good one, and some english ones of course.

We don't have a forum like this here, and I started on here via the Immigration forum, and then got hooked...
The only reasonable good Dutch thing we have is this http://www.prikpagina.nl/list.php?f=490
It's a sort of message board instead of a forum.
And it's for all emigration, not just Oz/NZ stuff, though that is what most posts are about.
But as you can see, the format isn't great(an understatement!), and there isn't that much posting going on.
It's all the same topics as here though, visa's, agents, shipping....

lindseyden Mar 24th 2004 8:22 pm

Originally posted by Simone82
I have no idea....

Surfing... link maybe via that escape artist site.
I think it was around the time I was looking for (dutch) people's personal stories on emigrating(fun!), but there's not many(well, not many that have their own website and post regular updates, though I've found 1 old dutch one (the've stopped posting) and 1 other good one, and some english ones of course.

We don't have a forum like this here, and I started on here via the Immigration forum, and then got hooked...
The only reasonable good Dutch thing we have is this http://www.prikpagina.nl/list.php?f=490
It's a sort of message board instead of a forum.
And it's for all emigration, not just Oz/NZ stuff, though that is what most posts are about.
But as you can see, the format isn't great(an understatement!), and there isn't that much posting going on.
It's all the same topics as here though, visa's, agents, shipping....

I was reading a website written by somone who emigrated and she really made me laugh, she recommended this site and I am too now addicted to it. Great advice and mainly fun apart from the odd person who thinks he's funny but is in fact extremely crass!!

bondipom Mar 24th 2004 8:29 pm

I did the first stage partner visa in the UK without this board but last year whilst looking for tips on final stage processing I found this place. Ended up in an argument with Ceri and got hooked.

snowhite Mar 24th 2004 8:57 pm

I was getting addicted to GO MATILDA then someone there mentioned this site and now Im addicted to this one !!!:scared:
But only when my computer lets me ,anyone else having problems getting on here ?:confused:

nikkers Mar 24th 2004 8:59 pm

Hi

I think we found this site from the Irons family web site.

It has been great but is really addictive.

As a nurse I had thought of using an agent but now am applying myself :D after advice and help from this site.

The expats meetings will help with making friends when you first arrive....Can't wait to put faces to names!

Nikki x

nosuchluck Mar 24th 2004 9:02 pm

Through Australian News, great paper by the way, wish i'd found this site earlier too, takes alot of the impatience out knowing other people are in a similar position also there is a whole mine of information on here as opposed to the advice our agent has given us!
best wishes
rach x

gedge Mar 24th 2004 11:16 pm

Found it down the back of the search engine sofa!
Of course I was about 6 months too late as we had already submitted application.
Now I can't stop telling everyone about it.
So many people I know have emigrated recently or are in process of doing so (not all to OZ I might add).

ABCDiamond Mar 24th 2004 11:37 pm

I am sometmes on an Australian Property Investment forum Somersoft and someone mentioned, and gave the link for this one, so I checked it out, and now live here :D On the forum that is ! :D :D

renth Mar 24th 2004 11:38 pm

I used to post on usenet newsgroups and the Autralian immigration one had loads of messges "posted from britishexpats.com" So I stopped using usenet and had a look at the Expats web site.

ANA123 Mar 25th 2004 2:53 am

I found it on the day we received our visas:(
Still though we could have done with it earlier, its been invaluable since and the info and advice from here has made the transition much easier than it may have been.

wombatboy Mar 25th 2004 3:04 am

yeah i found it surfing.
A real pisser i didnt come across it a couple of years back cos i was in visa strife then and it was well stressful.
Great forum though. Apart from pathetic arguments by trolls.:rolleyes:

DianeOZ Mar 25th 2004 4:19 am

I used to go on the onestop.wa site which eventually folded up, then I think it was Jopaulss who told me about this one.

scitta Mar 25th 2004 6:19 am

Hubby found it while surfing the net for info. on Oz during our visa process.

Now more than him, I am addicted to this site, and no prizes for guessing why :D , too much valuable information, and loads of helpful replies.

Guess by the time we make the final move to Oz., it will look too familiar to us with all the info gathered from this site.

Great site *****

bubcay Mar 25th 2004 6:36 am

After reading millions of posts on this forum, I am ashamed to admit that I can not recall how I stumbled upon this site. I only know that it was 6-7 months after I applied for immigration.

IMHO this is the best site I have ever browsed through, and I really appreciate every single advice I got here.

Cheers to you all.
:D :D :D

sky Mar 25th 2004 7:39 am

I was just searching for NZ stuff and surfing the net and think the site just came up on one of my searches

Pollyana Mar 25th 2004 8:16 am

I found it through Alan Collett, the migration agent with Go Matilda; I e-mailed him with some basic finance questions after reading the Aussie Outlook paper, and he said I could either pay his company, or ask on here!!! (they were fairly basic question)
Been here ever since........ :eek:

lostkiwi Mar 25th 2004 10:34 am

Buddy who was emigrating to Canada told me about it - been addicted ever since - have to drag myself away from time to time so that I don't think about being stuck here to much.

Great advice & help from all...
Much better now PB has gone (anyone remember him?)

helinuk Mar 25th 2004 11:42 am

I was on a yahoo forum for British expat mums , when I said I was going to oz for a recce last November another mum (who is now living in Brisbane )told me about the site. :) thank you Siobhan:)
We've learnt so much just by reading the threads.

noodle Mar 25th 2004 12:12 pm

Originally posted by helinuk
I was on a yahoo forum for British expat mums , when I said I was going to oz for a recce last November another mum (who is now living in Brisbane )told me about the site. :) thank you Siobhan:)
We've learnt so much just by reading the threads.
I thought I told you about this site Helen?!!!

Anyway, I found it by doing a search on askjeeves.

evorobin Mar 25th 2004 1:39 pm

As no one from adelaide has replied I feel obliged. I think I found it on a google search although having been in oz for two years it's a bit strange having already emmigrated...

Anyway through this site I found adelaidebrits which is also very good. Personally we found the paperwork fairly straight forward and never considered an agent.

helinuk Mar 25th 2004 1:55 pm

Originally posted by noodle
I thought I told you about this site Helen?!!!

Anyway, I found it by doing a search on askjeeves.
Really , how did I know you before the forum? who are you when you're not noodle? :confused:

OzTennis Mar 25th 2004 2:36 pm

Originally posted by helinuk
Really , how did I know you before the forum? who are you when you're not noodle? :confused:

:D

I stumbled on this site when doing a Google search on spouse visa (I was going to say for my wife but that would be stating the obvious!!). I was looking at some website and there was a link to BE's. I signed up as TennisOz, someone stole my identity a few months later to launch a tirade of abuse at others (I now know who it was) then I re-signed as OzTennis with a password even I can't remember!

As others have said it is a fantastic site for gathering information, sometimes getting the news before it is in the news and for exchanging views. Just as in life itself you get your wide cross-section on here so it can be informative, amusing, educational, and sporty - which are the main areas I concentrate on. And yep, I come from Melbourne and live in Scotland now so I go on a bit about them I know. :D As most of you know it can be quite addictive as well because of how good it is and as someone said when you start signing your normal emails with your username here you know you've got a problem!

OzTennis:)

Mummy Mar 25th 2004 2:44 pm

Originally posted by katherineiv
Hi all,
I found this site by going on another site.
I go on a site called essential baby.com where i went to meet other mums in oz and find out abit then one of the girls gave me this site.............
have got loads of imfo from here :D

cheers katherine :beer:
Hi Katherine - you found the site OK then!