Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to buy a house

How to buy a house

Old Jan 17th 2005, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to buy a house

If you guys have SKY TV here in the UK try channel 250 (Real Estate channel) Programme called "Location Location" and "Hot Auctions" is based in Australia and shows auctions and gives a good idea of it.
Sad I know.... I found it when off work sick one day.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about

I have not been to perth before so i may not be the person to ask but i have family in Ellenbrook & Henley brook & have been told that they are very nice areas, Ellenbrook is a bit cheeper, both are 30 mins from the beach & a new shopping centre has opened up in ellenbrook.

We are looking at the Vines & Ballajura, they are close to Henley brook & Ellenbrook.

Sarah
Old Jan 17th 2005, 10:21 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

ABCD - check out the book "Don't sign anything!" by Neil Jenman.

He's an estate agent who was sickened by the whole Australian agency scam and set up an "Ethical" agency scheme.

He has it all down - the "conditioning" of the seller, who is led to believe he will get one figure but as soon as the contract is signed he is conditioned to believe it is unrealistic and will have to be reduced for a sale. The same thing in reverse for buyers - they are led to believe that a house will go for a lower figure to get them "in" and then they find out the truth.

The new regulations "curbing" the scams (like dummy bidders and imaginary phone bidders) have introduced fines but by all accounts the agents are building these into their costs and accept getting caught every half dozen scams!

Real estate here is a minefield. Make sure you bring or buy a mine detector!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

I've decided to wait out the first half of this year to see what direction the housing market goes. If there are signs of a crash then it may be safer to bank the cash and rent. Check out:

http://www.cracker.com.au/threads.as...yid=11061&pg=2
Old Jan 18th 2005, 5:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
ABCD - check out the book "Don't sign anything!" by Neil Jenman.

He's an estate agent who was sickened by the whole Australian agency scam and set up an "Ethical" agency scheme.

He has it all down - the "conditioning" of the seller, who is led to believe he will get one figure but as soon as the contract is signed he is conditioned to believe it is unrealistic and will have to be reduced for a sale. The same thing in reverse for buyers - they are led to believe that a house will go for a lower figure to get them "in" and then they find out the truth.

The new regulations "curbing" the scams (like dummy bidders and imaginary phone bidders) have introduced fines but by all accounts the agents are building these into their costs and accept getting caught every half dozen scams!

Real estate here is a minefield. Make sure you bring or buy a mine detector!
The one thing that really puzzles me about Neil Jenham is his pushing of his book called "Real Estate Without Agents". It's even advertised in all of the Jenman Real Estate Agents shop fronts.

It pushes how to: "SELL YOUR PROPERTY AND PAY ZERO COMMISSION" http://www.jenman.com.au/BS_S_No_Agent.php

Now... the agents pay him to train to sell property, and then make a living from selling property, yet he makes them advertise "not to use an agent " ?

I honestly am a bit puzzled.

Old Jan 18th 2005, 5:31 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The message is - don't trust anyone - even him!

Make up your own mind - no-one else will do it for you, certainly not with your benefit in mind.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 6:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
The message is - don't trust anyone - even him!

The other problem when i've been looking to buy a house, is that I like to look at what's on offer in the windows, but at the Jenman offices they don't display the houses for sale, you have to go in and tell them what you want, so they can select choices for you.

I only ever went in once, they kept me for too long, and didn't have anything I fancied anyway. I did decide I wouldn't sell through them though.

The problem with the other agents is that they don't always identify which suburb the property is in.

One word for Real Estate agents "Frustrating"