Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad is the housing crisis in Perth?

How bad is the housing crisis in Perth?

Old Apr 26th 2023, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad is the housing crisis in Perth?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't agree with that and living in a city suburb would not be my impression of an outdoor life + many in the UK prefer soccer over basketball. Even when I was in the UK many years ago there were astro pitches everywhere and kids could also play in fields without having to worry about snakes/spiders. I also lived near the coast and surfing/kayaking was very popular all year round + I can't think of many towns that don't have a sports ground. Australia actually has a higher obesity rate than the UK or Ireland https://data.worldobesity.org/rankings/
Not sure where in Australia you are referring to. I live within 9km of Sydney CBD and my son plays or trains for football (soccer to avoid weirdo AFL confusion) 5 times a week mostly on astro turf however his home ground Saturday games are on grass. We live 5 mins from a surf beach. No snakes or spiders at his football. You sure you have the right information there?
Old Apr 26th 2023, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotty9000
Actually it is definitely true that kids have many more opportunities to play outside in Oz compared to the UK. Many modern Australian suburbs have cleverly designed street plans to avoid rat runs and the kids have basketball hoops facing the street. Plus in general the public playground and sports facilities are an order of magnitude above what you can expect in the UK. There just seems to be more money available for public facilities in Australia. Unfortunately dogs' recreation is taken more seriously in the UK than childrens' recreation.
far more kids outside in UK at least when I lived there than in Australia. What age are we talking? Stranger danger is huge here to the extent that young children are usually not allowed to play outside house confines without a parent present.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
So what are the stats? 25% of houses sold in Perth become meth labs?
Who knows? Probably higher in inner city. But whatever foreigners being allowed to purchase houses distorts the market and encourages money laundering at the very least. Try buying a house in China.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
far more kids outside in UK at least when I lived there than in Australia. What age are we talking? Stranger danger is huge here to the extent that young children are usually not allowed to play outside house confines without a parent present.
Do us all a favour. Refer to Perth rather than Australia.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who knows? Probably higher in inner city. But whatever foreigners being allowed to purchase houses distorts the market and encourages money laundering at the very least. Try buying a house in China.
Alrighty then.
Old Apr 28th 2023, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where in Australia you are referring to. I live within 9km of Sydney CBD and my son plays or trains for football (soccer to avoid weirdo AFL confusion) 5 times a week mostly on astro turf however his home ground Saturday games are on grass. We live 5 mins from a surf beach. No snakes or spiders at his football. You sure you have the right information there?
Wash your mouth lol it’s Football we always called in football while in Aus if anyone said anything it we still said football and Not Aussie No Rules (our nickname for AFL. Off subject now but Inwould like to add that I am sooooo chuffed for my team Manchester City FC world war three may happen when we verse (cannot even bring myself to type it but….here goes ) Man Utd (my DH is a red😳) in the FA cup (our boys are blues and will be going to Wembley) but my DH and I will be in Bulgaria (maybe a good thing lol) but just a shout out to all the “Football Fans in a Australia keeping the Faith in the beautiful game.
Old Apr 30th 2023, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hipooro
I am from Wales and planning a move to Perth on a WHV and I have heard it's just as bad as here in Europe.
How hard is it to find a place? I'm a single man looking at the CBD.

If I saved 3-6 months of rent would that make things easier, what is the CBD like for rent and finding places to live?

Thanks.
I live close to CBD and it would prove hard to find a rental. Perhaps if lucky a share house but probably not as many these days as in previous times . Of course you could be lucky. A Back packer that stayed by us for a short time, found buying a camper van the best option. There are free camp grounds around the metro area but not entirely attracting the best of people . Lots of drug manufacturing in inner city so many places are taken by a certain clientele.
Obviously you could get lucky in finding a place just may need to search further out.
Old Apr 30th 2023, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by brits1
Wash your mouth lol it’s Football we always called in football while in Aus if anyone said anything it we still said football and Not Aussie No Rules (our nickname for AFL. Off subject now but Inwould like to add that I am sooooo chuffed for my team Manchester City FC world war three may happen when we verse (cannot even bring myself to type it but….here goes ) Man Utd (my DH is a red😳) in the FA cup (our boys are blues and will be going to Wembley) but my DH and I will be in Bulgaria (maybe a good thing lol) but just a shout out to all the “Football Fans in a Australia keeping the Faith in the beautiful game.
WestHam and Tottenham coming to Perth in July. Plan to see them. Would prefer to see Liverpool though.
Old Apr 30th 2023, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alrighty then.
It's far removed from being alright but that is the course that the country has taken.
Old May 2nd 2023, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

It's far removed from being alright but that is the course that the country has taken.
Not Perth but this must be one of those modern suburbs in Australia . It seems the gardens are really smaller these days and those who have a large garden are only focused on their lawn.
Where is the biodiversity they always talk about? It's great they don't want to sell, they could at least plant a few trees. Story is from last year so no idea if they still held on to it.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/defi...3495432c92142a

Last edited by Moses2013; May 2nd 2023 at 10:08 am.
Old May 2nd 2023, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not Perth but this must be one of those modern suburbs in Australia . It seems the gardens are really smaller these days and those who have a large garden are only focused on their lawn.
Where is the biodiversity they always talk about? It's great they don't want to sell, they could at least plant a few trees. Story is from last year so no idea if they still held on to it.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/defi...3495432c92142a
Surprised it hasn't been compulsory purchased. Oh wait, new government in NSW that don't promote people's freedoms as much as the former lot. Watch this space. Mind the pun.
Old May 4th 2023, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

WestHam and Tottenham coming to Perth in July. Plan to see them. Would prefer to see Liverpool though.
OMG Liverpool …you have lost all my respect now lol it should be good though seeing Spurs and the Hammers play, we once watched Wolves play in Perth and it was just great to watch an English team play in Aus especially in Perth.
Old May 4th 2023, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Surprised it hasn't been compulsory purchased. Oh wait, new government in NSW that don't promote people's freedoms as much as the former lot. Watch this space. Mind the pun.
reminds me if when we first built in Canning Vale)in Perth) it was mainly very large homesteads, a few garden centres and mainly semi rural hence why we bought and fast forward within a couple of years most sold and it became a very built up area at first it was not so bad as the land was sold with large blocks but as the land became more expensive the developers charge more for much smaller blocks and houses became very close to each other (one of the reasons we moved…again)
Old May 7th 2023, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

House across the road from me has a rental sign outside. Just waiting to see if a repeat of last two times tenures are repeated. Both those included constant closed blinds, seldom going out and alleged illegal practices.
Old May 7th 2023, 1:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

House across the road from me has a rental sign outside. Just waiting to see if a repeat of last two times tenures are repeated. Both those included constant closed blinds, seldom going out and alleged illegal practices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.