Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad is the housing crisis in Perth?

How bad is the housing crisis in Perth?

Old Apr 5th 2023, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

hipooro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How bad is the housing crisis in Perth?

I am from Wales and planning a move to Perth on a WHV and I have heard it's just as bad as here in Europe.
How hard is it to find a place? I'm a single man looking at the CBD.

If I saved 3-6 months of rent would that make things easier, what is the CBD like for rent and finding places to live?

Thanks.
Old Apr 6th 2023, 12:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad is the housing crisis in Perth?

Originally Posted by hipooro
I am from Wales and planning a move to Perth on a WHV and I have heard it's just as bad as here in Europe.
How hard is it to find a place? I'm a single man looking at the CBD.

If I saved 3-6 months of rent would that make things easier, what is the CBD like for rent and finding places to live?

Thanks.

It depends. If you're looking to rent, it's bad. You'll probably only be able to find a place on your own if you pay over the odds. You'd have a better chance if you look for a room in a share house

If you're buying then not a problem

Perth is bad but I believe it's worse in other cities like Sydney - the fact that our government is increasing the amount of immigration at this point shows just how out of touch they are with reality. Opening up to a massive increase in international student numbers right now is just bonkers for instance

Good luck

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 6th 2023 at 1:12 am.
Old Apr 6th 2023, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Good job you’re not looking for a rental in Canberra as it’s far worse.
Old Apr 7th 2023, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It depends. If you're looking to rent, it's bad. You'll probably only be able to find a place on your own if you pay over the odds. You'd have a better chance if you look for a room in a share house

If you're buying then not a problem

Perth is bad but I believe it's worse in other cities like Sydney - the fact that our government is increasing the amount of immigration at this point shows just how out of touch they are with reality. Opening up to a massive increase in international student numbers right now is just bonkers for instance

Good luck
Is it not hard to buy property anyway while on a WHV?
Old Apr 7th 2023, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Is it not hard to buy property anyway while on a WHV?
I'm not looking to buy.
Old Apr 7th 2023, 10:46 am
Just Joined

What about renting with someone else? A roomshare? Is that just as difficult to find somewhere to live?
Old Apr 7th 2023, 7:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hipooro
What about renting with someone else? A roomshare? Is that just as difficult to find somewhere to live?
Said to be easier than looking for somewhere on your own
Old Apr 9th 2023, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not at all sure if renting a room out is as popular as once was. Perth is very difficult to rent. We have the largest homeless in Australia population. (sleeping rough) We have over the past couple of years a massive increase in interstate arrivals to WA. I have never seen so many Victorian rego number plates before (but also all other states)
We recently had a young Northern European traveller stay by us (friend of a relative) and he told of his experiences in a CBD Backpacking hostel. He paid $240 (week) for a bed in a twenty four bed dormitory. He left after five days as impossible to sleep and opinion of Perth after such a short time was full of crack heads. A certain ethnic group appeared to be largely involved and selling included those staying in the hostel.

His solution was to purchase a van. He then stayed a couple of nights on free camp sites , but found very unsavory types staying there and didn't feel that safe. He has as a matter of reference, completely overhauled his camper van, (he had the ability to do most all the work himself ) and looked really great. That would be a way to do it. (he paid $10,000 for the van and around $4000 on the vast improvements, but again I stress you would need to be very 'handy' to keep costs low. He was a tradesman.

There was a number of rentals in my near city area at one time , (including renting a room) but sadly we have a big drug manufacture issue (Ice) which appears to be a revolving door to like minded individuals . Hence 'others' would find it hard to get a look in. I note they change occupancy without going onto the mainstream market. . But as you can probably fathom, we do have a problem with this issue in Perth. (and WA)
One thing regarding Back packers, I believe if you book as early as possible you may well get a better price. Just read carefully the comments, but then a lot are poor so probably would need to go with what appears to be the least worse. I should add a number closed during Covid times hence space availability is scarce.

Old Apr 11th 2023, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

MO_90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know what the rental/housing market is like in smaller towns around Perth?

Baldivis, Mandurah etc?
Old Apr 12th 2023, 8:09 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MO_90
Does anyone know what the rental/housing market is like in smaller towns around Perth?

Baldivis, Mandurah etc?

Same issue as Perth unfortunately. Maybe a but easier but still a huge problem down there

That area is a quite a way from the city but they do have a good train link

Last edited by Amazulu; Apr 12th 2023 at 8:52 am.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Baldivis, Mandurah etc?
Hi you could look at the “hill” subs of Perth ie Mount Nasura. Rolyestone, Kalamunda , Armadale Hills etc I have just looked on Domain and in Gosnells (which is a large sub covering older homes and also new builds) they have rentals on that site from around $400 per week. I think if you head in that direction which is not as well known with the British migrants you might have more luck.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi you could look at the “hill” subs of Perth ie Mount Nasura. Rolyestone, Kalamunda , Armadale Hills etc I have just looked on Domain and in Gosnells (which is a large sub covering older homes and also new builds) they have rentals on that site from around $400 per week. I think if you head in that direction which is not as well known with the British migrants you might have more luck.
No personal experience these days, but it looks like these areas also have plenty of applications and locals & Australian nationals might often have an advantage?

One example
https://www.domain.com.au/24-tenterd...-6110-16415687

ONLINE APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED PRIOR TO VIEWING
Due to the number of applications being received given the current market conditions, we have changed the way in which the leasing process is undertaken. If you are interested in the above property we recommend that you apply online at https://tenantoptions.com.au/ create a renter account and apply for the selected property.
We are still conducting home opens, however we do recommend applying prior to avoid disappointment as most properties are being leased to pre-approved applicants before the first home open is scheduled.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 12th 2023 at 9:29 am.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Gosnells does not have a good reputation. But it is close to a train line. A big immigrant area but with a load of social problems to accompany it.
Full marks to the council there though for making the area attractive with bush land and improving the centre. Always a lot of security at station, nowhere to go at night besides fast food. A lady I know living there claims to live next door to suspected drug dealers (but then so do I in a considered 'good' suburb. Her's by the sound is more feral. (mine are professionals) She would not go out after dark unless picked up by an Uber.

But I suspect a lot of stops along that rail line are little different. I guess one must take a rental where ever can get in these times.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Baldivis, Mandurah etc?
Pretty much the same. It's luck really for the moment. But further out will be possibly less likely to have the International student market competing for houses as well as interstate and migrants.
Old Apr 12th 2023, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Gosnells does not have a good reputation. But it is close to a train line. A big immigrant area but with a load of social problems to accompany it.
Full marks to the council there though for making the area attractive with bush land and improving the centre. Always a lot of security at station, nowhere to go at night besides fast food. A lady I know living there claims to live next door to suspected drug dealers (but then so do I in a considered 'good' suburb. Her's by the sound is more feral. (mine are professionals) She would not go out after dark unless picked up by an Uber.

But I suspect a lot of stops along that rail line are little different. I guess one must take a rental where ever can get in these times.
https://www.crimestopperswa.com.au/open-cases/
When you filter Gosnells there are around 30 open cases and looks like recent crimes have been solved quick enough.
https://www.crimestopperswa.com.au/o...ases-category=

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.