Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:45 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do you remember Bondipom? Poster in Sydney, from the very very early BE days.......he had a roach lay eggs in his keyboard, first he knew of it was when all these nasty little f**kers started crawling out of his keyboard while he was posting. I'd not been here long, was terrified of touching the computer for weeks
Never mind the roaches, we've got something much scarier growiong out of my laptop

Originally Posted by rammygirl
They are in the Adelaide hills. This Autumn was particularly crunchy!
Yes, this year has been quite bad, after a couple of better years. Still not found anything that really deters them.

Originally Posted by rammygirl
It does depend where you live. The more rural the more wildlife. An apartment in a city is unlikely to get many spiders. Even in a semi rural setting here I see less spiders than I did in the UK. Boundry sprays do work.
In nearly 4 years I have had one small huntsman inside the house, and seen a handful outside none enormous.

If you cope in the UK you can cope here.
Yes, sprays do work. We are on the edge of Sturt Gorge and we have huntsman, redbacks, white tips, funnel webs all around us. I spray the house every few months and we don't have a problem. Even keep the ants out.
Attached Thumbnails How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?-20170616_180823_001.jpg  
Old Jun 16th 2017, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
It seems like EVERYONE in Australia gets about 3 huntsmen a year in their home and cars and most people get a funnel web each year /
That's complete nonsense about funnel webs. Funnel webs are in the Sydney area mostly and I've lived here for over 35 years and I've never seen one. Neither has anyone I know ever seen one. It's utter rubbish to say they're found in people's homes each year. They live underground and they're a complete non-event - particularly if you're going to be living in Brisbane or Melbourne.

We get about one huntsman a year in our house. Spraying keeps them away. I see far fewer spiders in Sydney than I ever saw in the UK.

Look, very few people actively LIKE spiders yet 25 million people live here happily. Think about it - if they really did walk across your face every night, jump out at you while you're driving etc - do you think people would stay?
Old Jun 16th 2017, 10:24 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Rammygirl / thank you. May I ask where abouts you live? I need to find a consensus of people from a suburban area that all say they don't get spiders in the house...and that's where we'd live!
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:05 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
That's complete nonsense about funnel webs. Funnel webs are in the Sydney area mostly and I've lived here for over 35 years and I've never seen one. Neither has anyone I know ever seen one. It's utter rubbish to say they're found in people's homes each year. They live underground and they're a complete non-event - particularly if you're going to be living in Brisbane or Melbourne.

We get about one huntsman a year in our house. Spraying keeps them away. I see far fewer spiders in Sydney than I ever saw in the UK.

Look, very few people actively LIKE spiders yet 25 million people live here happily. Think about it - if they really did walk across your face every night, jump out at you while you're driving etc - do you think people would stay?
I guess not...but I'm like a magnet for these things! A man on here said he had a rash on his stomach that was found to be a huntsman who would take a short cut across him in the night and gave him a slight allergic reaction. Also, when opening his front door one fell on him. Another lady said she opened her umbrella and one fell on her head and another lady said one was on her hair whilst driving. You have to admit, they're pretty intimidating spiders! I worry that if one was on me whilst driving I'd seriously crash...and I have three children so that's a big worry for me. It's hard to understand unless you have a phobia I guess but even talking about it on here is helping. Just having reassuring comments like yours helps...even if it's met with three or four to the contrary. But it's all been eye opening and helpful
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rasen78
Never mind the roaches, we've got something much scarier growiong out of my laptop

Yes, this year has been quite bad, after a couple of better years. Still not found anything that really deters them.

Yes, sprays do work. We are on the edge of Sturt Gorge and we have huntsman, redbacks, white tips, funnel webs all around us. I spray the house every few months and we don't have a problem. Even keep the ants out.

What is that? It looks like a cute turd with feet! Pet or intruder? If spiders looked like this I'd be fine!!!
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I guess not...but I'm like a magnet for these things! A man on here said he had a rash on his stomach that was found to be a huntsman who would take a short cut across him in the night and gave him a slight allergic reaction. Also, when opening his front door one fell on him. Another lady said she opened her umbrella and one fell on her head and another lady said one was on her hair whilst driving. You have to admit, they're pretty intimidating spiders! I worry that if one was on me whilst driving I'd seriously crash...and I have three children so that's a big worry for me. It's hard to understand unless you have a phobia I guess but even talking about it on here is helping. Just having reassuring comments like yours helps...even if it's met with three or four to the contrary. But it's all been eye opening and helpful
Bear in mind that a lot of people on forums rub their hands with glee when they encounter a new poster eager for information as it gives them the chance to have a bit of fun and to regurgitate their lurid tales of the wildlife.

Take most of it with a pinch of salt
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Rentals usually get bug sprayed, but you can get it done quite cheap. It was only after a year or two spiders or roaches started to appear(Our house being an ex rental). We have put up a unit that sprays every 1/2 hr which keeps out the flys(usually) and mozzies, I reckon it works on roaches and spiders to. But you may get the odd one. No Redbacks in the house but they like garages as bugs wander the floors(their prey).So if you leave footwear in there bang them a few times on the floor before putting them on. And they are not deadly, more people die of Wasp and Bee stings in the UK. Very young and very old are at risk!, As said get it sprayed and it can last for a year or more. Educate the kids though, don't poke hands under rocks, leaves or outside furniture where something may lurk. Been here 9 years NO worries. Worry about our Cats biting a Cane toad but don't think its happened yet.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rammygirl / thank you. May I ask where abouts you live? I need to find a consensus of people from a suburban area that all say they don't get spiders in the house...and that's where we'd live!
I live in the Adelaide Hills, but seriously anywhere urban would be no different to the UK as far as spiders in the house. Spraying makes it even less likely you will get any indoors. I have never had any in the car.

Don't let people wind you up!

I honestly saw more spiders in the UK and we had lots more webs around the outside of the house there too. Choose a property with little vegetation close to the house and get barrier spray down. I am not saying you won't ever see a spider but it shouldn't be worse than where you are now.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 12:53 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yeah, I'm not keen on the f**kers either

Portuguese Millipedes are my pet hate - thankfully no longer an issue around these parts
Do you remember a few years ago the train collision in Clarkson when the tracks were slick with them? The track was coated in the ****ers and a train was unable to stop and slid into a stationary one.

As for spiders, get your house sprayed twice a year and you're ok.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 1:16 pm
Banned

Do you spray inside as well as outside? I'd worry about the health issues with spraying inside - is this ever an issue raised in Australia? Are there affective ways to spray your home inside that don't carry potential health risks such as an increased risk of cancer? With all that is said about pesticides and cancer this round be a big worry for me. Any help would be great
Old Jun 16th 2017, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is any satisfactory way to be rid of spiders at home unless you live in a sealed bubble. I'm terrified of the creatures, yet lived in Australia for over half a century. We used to have the gap under our house sprayed every year, however when one of our dogs developed throat cancer and had to be put down (she would lie between the kitchen and laundry where fumes could seep through), we stopped the treatment.

I will not frighten you with my Australian experiences, but even back in England I still look around the walls and ceilings, and under my pillow every day. Unexpectedly when I moved into this flat in Torbay, I opened my front door one morning, and found 13 of the critters sitting around waiting to be invited in for a cuppa. After the building was steam cleaned and repainted, everything improved, but I still watch out for them.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I would honestly prefer living with the spiders and other critters than living with the spray. I don't like the potential residual long term effects of living around insecticides. I realise lots of people are going to claim safety. However how many times have government agencies told us something is safe only to be told a generation later that errm sorry we get it wrong, they are not. Too far up the food chain for me.

I only ever use fly spray sparingly when I absolutely have to.....more than 10 flies in the house of something.... and when Mossies are bad.

Now Mossies are a real threat, they carry some potentially very dodgy virii and parasites.

You dont hear people carrying on about the side effects ABD79.... I think it's something that most people feel they have to live with.

I've never sprayed for Spiders or Cockroaches, however airborne sprays probably a little bit more often that I did in the UK and very rarely with skin spray for mosquitos, but that's when I cannot take it any more and I'm about the last to use it.... I'd rather put on thick clothing and cover up even in the heat.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 16th 2017 at 11:38 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Bear in mind that a lot of people on forums rub their hands with glee when they encounter a new poster eager for information as it gives them the chance to have a bit of fun and to regurgitate their lurid tales of the wildlife.

Take most of it with a pinch of salt
Totally agree. And its human nature (mainly an Brits nature) to gravitate to the bad rather than the good.
Old Jun 17th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fan of chemicals either and never used tha barrier sprays before. But after being in the Hills and the millipede invasion I gave in. It works, but I do make sure I clear up the bodies every morning before the birds eat them. Only sprayed the areas outside where they were coming in. The numbers have declined now so it has been 6 or seven weeks since I sprayed. Only the odd one or two now.

Never did it for spiders as we really don't get them in the house often enough to bother. Now that big field cricket that found its way in did make me jump though. And there does appear to be a tiny lizard living behind the sofa..............
Old Jun 17th 2017, 3:16 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

When you go away for a few days bug bomb your house when you leave

Pack of 3 about $12 at Bunnings

They work well

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.