Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

Old Jun 15th 2017, 9:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad are the bugs & spiders in the suburbs of Brisbane?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You'll be fine. I've seen as many spiders in the UK as I did in Australia, and I lived there for over 50 years.

Ahhh, but, the spiders in the UK are all harmless, unlike those in Australia.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 9:37 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've been here 14 years, saw 1redback out in the country my first year, and have see a couple of Huntsmen when out at the ex-MiLs place, rural, 3 hours from Brisbane.
They are there, my mate used to point out the webs in the power wires on the street. And I've certainly seen redbacks there. However if you are oblivious, you will probably miss seeing them unless you come face-to-face.

There are a lot less down Melbourne way, gets too cold it seems.

Either that or the snakes get 'um ....
Old Jun 15th 2017, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, don't worry about spiders. There are some in the parks and things you will see that are a lot larger than the UK, but apart from that, not an issue. Drop bears on the other hand......... https://australianmuseum.net.au/drop-bear
Old Jun 15th 2017, 10:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABD79
Amazulu - please tell me you just like playing on people's fears? :-/ Is it really THAT bad? I mean I'm expecting SOME spiders but spiders crawling on my face while I sleep, on my shoulder while I watch television, a sailing down from the sun visor while I'm driving...that kind of thing I'm hoping wouldn't be an every day occurrence :-/ Can I ask where you're from originally and where you live now please? And experiences you've had spider wise? I'm freaking out a little here :-/
The Huntsman spider is very common in most parts of Australia and most houses will have at least one at some time during the year. They are our friends though as they control vermin:

We're used to them in our house and now just ignore them
Old Jun 15th 2017, 10:53 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, although I dislike chemicals, I now have fly spray and insect killer at the ready all the time (my landlord is too tit to install flyscreens), and the units I live in are pest treated every so often by the Real Estate. My place is old and wooden, so should be a haven for insects but I rarely see much beyond the flies. Oh, and the occasional cockroach, those are the spawn of the devil and freak me out far more than spiders, but over the years I have learnt to keep cans of Mortein handy and zap the beggars as soon as they appear -and to be honest, its only 2 or 3 a year.
The spiders here tend to do outdoors more than the Uk ones that love fridges etc. If I have to move something like that, I warn any resident insects by shouting at them first ( ) then spray underneath, then move it. Worst thing I ever found under a fridge was a mouse, in my last place. I was quite pleased about that, been telling my then husband for weeks that we had a mouse and he wouldn't believe me!

Well that makes me feel a bit better Thank you I can't help but think though, what the heck are huntsman spiders still doing around cities?! You'd think they'd take the hint and leave by now
For some reason I'm not so worried about cockroaches (although it depends how big they are in Australia!) I've never actually seen one so that's probably why I don't feel scared...maybe I would be if I was faced with one! For every person who seems to say the spiders are OK in Australia, I do seem to find about 2-3 horror stories :-/ Maybe I'll just make a bubble and live in that
Old Jun 15th 2017, 10:57 am
Banned

ABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond reputeABD79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The Huntsman spider is very common in most parts of Australia and most houses will have at least one at some time during the year. They are our friends though as they control vermin:

We're used to them in our house and now just ignore them

Eeeeek :-/ Yes we even heard about that spider here in the UK I was hoping that not EVERY home would get them. That perhaps some neighbourhoods just didn't really get them for some reason. Some people on here have said they'd never had one...I guess I was hoping to find that be the case for the majority of people but it doesn't seem to be looking that way :-/
Old Jun 15th 2017, 11:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Eeeeek :-/ Yes we even heard about that spider here in the UK I was hoping that not EVERY home would get them. That perhaps some neighbourhoods just didn't really get them for some reason. Some people on here have said they'd never had one...I guess I was hoping to find that be the case for the majority of people but it doesn't seem to be looking that way :-/
We get the occasional huntsman passing through - I tend to ignore them although it can be hard sometimes. Mostly they hang around higher up near the ceiling - one of the cats will get them if they're on the floor or lower down. Nothing like the sound of a cat crunching a spider.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:46 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well that makes me feel a bit better Thank you I can't help but think though, what the heck are huntsman spiders still doing around cities?! You'd think they'd take the hint and leave by now
For some reason I'm not so worried about cockroaches (although it depends how big they are in Australia!) I've never actually seen one so that's probably why I don't feel scared...maybe I would be if I was faced with one! For every person who seems to say the spiders are OK in Australia, I do seem to find about 2-3 horror stories :-/ Maybe I'll just make a bubble and live in that
They are large and they fly......
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:56 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

They are large and they fly......
Yeah, I'm not keen on the f**kers either

Portuguese Millipedes are my pet hate - thankfully no longer an issue around these parts
Old Jun 15th 2017, 1:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Portuguese Millipedes are my pet hate - thankfully no longer an issue around these parts
Do you remember Bondipom? Poster in Sydney, from the very very early BE days.......he had a roach lay eggs in his keyboard, first he knew of it was when all these nasty little f**kers started crawling out of his keyboard while he was posting. I'd not been here long, was terrified of touching the computer for weeks
Old Jun 16th 2017, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

They are in the Adelaide hills. This Autumn was particularly crunchy!
Old Jun 16th 2017, 5:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by rammygirl
They are in the Adelaide hills. This Autumn was particularly crunchy!
I've heard that Adelaide is pretty bad at the moment - horrible creatures

They seem to get activated by autumn rains but an extended dry spell kills them off - which is what happened over here a few years ago
Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:17 am
Banned

I'm not too keen on big bugs that fly I have to say - it's the thought of them flying in my face! But it's nothing that would put me off moving there. But spiders, that's a different story. It seems like EVERYONE in Australia gets about 3 huntsmen a year in their home and cars and most people get a funnel web each year. This completely freaks me out! I really was hoping there'd be somewhere in Australia you could live where they just weren't so common. It's a real game changer for me as I have a real phobia. I'd willingly have hypnosis but I would need to feel like seeing a huntsman in my home was no different to seeing a cute Guinea pig and I just don't think that's ever possible...no hypnosis can be that strong! :-/
Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It does depend where you live. The more rural the more wildlife. An apartment in a city is unlikely to get many spiders. Even in a semi rural setting here I see less spiders than I did in the UK. Boundry sprays do work.
In nearly 4 years I have had one small huntsman inside the house, and seen a handful outside none enormous.

If you cope in the UK you can cope here.
Old Jun 16th 2017, 8:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Brings a whole new meaning to the word "website"!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.