Housing in Oz

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice
Default Re: Housing in Oz

I agree you, this is my conclusion since we came to Sydney. My wife and two sons have similar views about the weather over here. Completely and utterly OVERRATED. The Aussies are creative when it comes to marketing their stuff, the truth is something else (unfortunately .

Originally Posted by folic

I've never understood the big fuss about Aussie weather. Australia's painted as one long comfortably warm and sunny paradise, when in reality, that's far from true
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
If you are NZ citizens book yourselves a one way ticket and get on the plane. You get a "perpetual" visa on arrival called TR444. There are no forms to fill in, you do not have to apply for it and you are guaranteed entry unless you are someone who Australia does not want no matter what their visa (eg convicted murderer).

Once you are here TR444 is on a day to day practical basis as good as PR. There are 1000s of Kiwis living here on that basis.

We were looking for the lifestyle of NZ combined with good economic realities and we have found that and more in Melbourne.

BB
thats just what i wanted to hear!! we really like Melbourne but dont really know the suburbs and the 'nice' places...any advice??
also, i believe if we come, students cannot get student loans for uni - is there any way round this as our daughter is 17 and due to start in another year..
thank you so much for your reply!!
oh.....and what about the health insurance - someone told me we have to have it and the cost is huge??!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Housing in Oz

Originally Posted by krissie
thats just what i wanted to hear!! we really like Melbourne but dont really know the suburbs and the 'nice' places...any advice??
also, i believe if we come, students cannot get student loans for uni - is there any way round this as our daughter is 17 and due to start in another year..
thank you so much for your reply!!
oh.....and what about the health insurance - someone told me we have to have it and the cost is huge??!!
Krissie, you do not need health insurance. NZ Citizens have full access to medicare which is the public health system and is cheaper than its equivalent in NZ.

I don't know about the student loan thing for your daughter, you will have to ask a uni what their policy is for NZ citizens. For most purposes NZ citizens are treated like Australians but I don't know about student loans specifically.

There are lots and lots of nice places in Melbourne, it depends on your budget and requirements of location, you need to give me some more specific info. PM me if you like.

BB
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gere
I agree you, this is my conclusion since we came to Sydney. My wife and two sons have similar views about the weather over here. Completely and utterly OVERRATED. The Aussies are creative when it comes to marketing their stuff, the truth is something else (unfortunately .
To be fair - I don't think Australia does say it's weather is the best. It's an idea that other people in the world have..I don't recall seeing hours of Australian newsreel when I was in the UK. Most of my information came from British folklore.

There was an article today in the Melbourne Age about how Australia needs to think about how it markets itself and the predicament it finds itself in. There were a lot of Australians having a whinge there too.

Originally Posted by folic
So, rather than spend our lives paying the electricity companies, I told the family to toughen up. It's a matter of attitude. It gets down to 7 and 8 degrees celsius inside the house quite often here in winter (sometimes lower).

I wear polyester pajamas and usually a couple of washed-thin dressing gowns over the pajamas, finished with 'Mother's Day' type K-mart slippers (yes, got them for Mother's Day .. like cold little bricks, they are)

People comment sometimes about our reluctance to install full-house air-conditioning, like them. I shrug. The truth is, it saves money. And as a result of saving money, we haven't had to take out a mortgage on any of the last three properties we've bought. So, to us, it's worth being mortgage free and adding an extra cardigan. But I don't say that, because it sounds like boasting. And Aussies hate boasters.
Made me laugh. My view is that a) people should 'harden up' - on some level. My mother tells me that central heating in the context of a generation or so again was a thing that many people obsessed about as it meant they had arrived - it might even have been a bit of a keeping up with the Jones's thing. I don't think there is anything wrong with central heating of course. I'll never forget working in a storage room for a few weeks where people wore beanies and scarves. All that I wore was a jumper. Most of them were young kids from backgrounds where there had been very little schooling in independence or character-building.

b) A jumper is necessary in winter. If you are wearing a t-shirt at home in the winter then you either have a very warm house or you have set the thermostat too high! Remember Jimmy Carter...

c) That said - the house was cold when I got back so we lit the fire!
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:58 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Just a point about double glazing and hot weather. Double glazing in itself will not help to reduce heat. However, properly shaded double glazing can help to reduce heat ingress by 30%.

Depends where you live in OZ of course. Down here we have 8 months a year on the cool side. Elsewhere one can have 9 warm months.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 5:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Depends where you live in OZ of course. Down here we have 8 months a year on the cool side. Elsewhere one can have 9 warm months.
And the other 3 are just plain HOT !