Housing bonds

Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:06 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Housing bonds

I've read quite a few threads on this forum from folk who have been in rental properties in Oz and have experienced difficulties getting their bond back when they vacated the properties. It seems from their stories that the estate/letting agents appear to go to just about any lengths to justify not releasing the original bond.

I just wondered, is this widespread or do the majority of tenants get their bonds back when they leave? Were the posters here just unfortunate or is this a general rip-off tactic that most agents employ? If you rent here in Oz, should you just assume that you won't get your bond back and write it off from the word "go"?

I'm interested to hear others' opinions and experiences on this subject please - we're moving over to WA next week and will be looking to rent for the immediate future. Like to know where we (might) stand with this issue.

TIA.

Sue
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing bonds

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
I've read quite a few threads on this forum from folk who have been in rental properties in Oz and have experienced difficulties getting their bond back when they vacated the properties. It seems from their stories that the estate/letting agents appear to go to just about any lengths to justify not releasing the original bond.

I just wondered, is this widespread or do the majority of tenants get their bonds back when they leave? Were the posters here just unfortunate or is this a general rip-off tactic that most agents employ? If you rent here in Oz, should you just assume that you won't get your bond back and write it off from the word "go"?

I'm interested to hear others' opinions and experiences on this subject please - we're moving over to WA next week and will be looking to rent for the immediate future. Like to know where we (might) stand with this issue.

TIA.

Sue

Hi
We got our bond back no problem, and I don't think we left the house as clean as when we moved in. I was quite surprised it was so simple as I had read that people have problems.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:41 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

Hi,

We rented a flat a couple of years ago in Sydney and our bond was returned absolutely no problem at all, we even moved out early and broke the tenancy agreement.

My understanding is that the Australian system of the landlord having to register the bond with the state/city means that non-returning of the bond is much less likely to happen. I believe they are looking at a similar system in the UK.

Cheers.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 10:56 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i've never had a problem getting my bond back. will be getting my fourth bond back anytime soon.