house selling

Old Dec 16th 2003, 2:24 pm
Perth Bound

Avery Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Re House selling

We are putting our house on the Market in Jan. I've just about finished all the decorating (done the whole house )
We have a similar problem with 3 or 4 detached houses in Aylesbury... there seem to be stacks of them available. I just hope time and money spent on it gives it the edge.

We've decided not to go to Perth till July now, so times not so much of a factor, though we have to spend a couple of months with the mother in law in Malta, just to let the kids say goodbye (we won't go back for a couple of years) so hope to have sold, moved and shipped by May.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 3:28 pm
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: house selling

Already have remortgaged for home improvements (stupid idea i know regret it so much!)so am panicking a bit about making what we re-mortgaged it for. We decided against the renting out as we don't want to be worrying about maintenance on a property in Uk while we are in australia. Also don't want to pay an agent to do nothing for us as landlords. I remember when we were renting and the owners lived overseas leaving some estate agents to oversee it. We had to try and deal with the absent owners most of the time if we wanted anything done because the agents wouldn't do anything. they claimed their fee for just making sure the rent was paid and nothing else. No maintenance or anything. So not really wanting to do the absentee landlord thing.

Originally posted by ossigeno
The market is fairly quiet at the moment because of the time of year. Who knows what will happen next year? Unfortunately when panic sets in people over react. Rather than underprice have you considered remortaging to release some equity then renting it?
Old Dec 16th 2003, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you see "Tenants from hell" on ITV tonight. No way would I rent my house out. It looks really stressful. The bloody bludgers.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:47 am
Back in Brisbane!

fimart is an unknown quantity at this point

I know!!! When we were renting we were pretty good tenants I think (paid the rent on time, tried to maintain most things ourselves, did up the garden etc) but still we always seemed to be calling up the landlord for various things and felt like were were hassling them. So if we were good than there is alot worse out there and it seems from that programme that even your worst tenant nightmare could easily become a reality. No I don't want to be a landlord for the world! We hope to have no need to return to England apart from to see family and have holidays. Not to sort out tenant disasters!!!

Originally posted by Muzzman
Did you see "Tenants from hell" on ITV tonight. No way would I rent my house out. It looks really stressful. The bloody bludgers.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 8:55 am
Badge

to be honest, being a landlord can be very stressful esp if the margins of profit you are making don't extend to the rip off management fees of the estate agents..and you have to go it alone..

I got involved in several stressful incidents but it was all worth it after 3 years..but there were times when I wished I hadn't done it..eg. I could have sold quicker and earlier...(on the other hand, I wouldn't have had my year in Australia, mortgage paid)

Badge