British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   house selling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/house-selling-196947/)

fimart Dec 15th 2003 3:15 pm

house selling

Hello,

Has anyone got any avice about selling houses? Is the market as bad as the media makes out. We must be sold by July 2004 and if our house is not on the market now will we make it?

Enzo&Chloe Dec 15th 2003 3:21 pm

The market, is pretty bad down south.

However it depends on what you are selling and price. Like everything if you overprice , no one will come round, underprice and it will sell fast.

Tips, make sure house is Tidy, and do all the little jobs you were planning on doing. Get at least three valuations, and look the estate agent, what they would do to improve your chances of a sale.

Best of luck

Troood Dec 15th 2003 3:27 pm

Re: house selling

Originally posted by fimart
Hello,

Has anyone got any avice about selling houses? Is the market as bad as the media makes out. We must be sold by July 2004 and if our house is not on the market now will we make it?

Hi, we live in the middle of nowhere in Notts. We put ours on the market and got 5 offers in 5 weeks. We opted to go with the buyers that could move the quickest and agreed on a 4 week exchange date. We have tried to sell each summer for the last two years, without success. We were stunned that we sold so quickly this time round and during the month of October when the house and garden didn't look it's best. I guess it depends where you live, supply and demand etc. We aren't going to complete until e.o.Feb - which suits all concerned. Then we'll rent until we move to Oz (if we ever get our visa's).

I took the view, better to sell now as I kept reading and hearing about the down turn in the market and it was scaring me.

Choice is yours, but I'd go for putting it on the market now, fill the house with flowers and get the coffee on to make it smell "welcoming". It worked for us.

Good luck matey :)

PeterAndSue Dec 15th 2003 3:27 pm

My advice is curb appeal, curb appeal, curb appeal

the normal advice is location,location,location but since you already own the property

curb appeal, curb appeal, curb appeal

ossigeno Dec 15th 2003 3:28 pm

The market is fairly quiet at the moment because of the time of year. Who knows what will happen next year? Unfortunately when panic sets in people over react. Rather than underprice have you considered remortaging to release some equity then renting it?

Badge Dec 15th 2003 3:34 pm

it is 'slow' in so far as people are not panic buying at the asking price.. but a good sized home in a nice area should go for the right price ...eventually...I lived in an undesirable area and was concerned, but sold to my tenant at 'quite' a loss, but less hassle...I still got my budgeted goals though..

BM

sjn2003 Dec 15th 2003 3:47 pm

Hello,

Just remember you only need one offer from one buyer not hundreds of people rummaging through your house.

If you have a well looked after property in a decent area, be positive, it will sell.

Are there lots of For Sale signs in your road that have been there for a while? Always a telling sign.

What do you do if you put it on the market now and get an offer next week ? :scared:

sj oldfield Dec 15th 2003 5:21 pm

Hi,

When are you hoping to be off?
Have you a limited timescale in which you need to sell?

sandra

nosuchluck Dec 15th 2003 7:22 pm

Hello,

Hello
i work for Countrywide Estate Agents and although we have noticed a slow down (due to the time of year) we haven't seen the prices of property fall, i would suggest you put the property on the market in January and then fight off the buyers! that's what we intend to do and we only submitted our app in October!
best of luck
rach ;)

fimart Dec 16th 2003 11:12 am

If we did sell next week I suppose we could hope that they are in some terrible chain that people usually resent! am a bit worried about the for sale sign thing though. there was one house that still hasn't sold. However there are a lot of people just moving in and i haven't seen a for sale sign or it was down so quick we didn't notice! (a good sign I guess)

Originally posted by sjn2003
Just remember you only need one offer from one buyer not hundreds of people rummaging through your house.

If you have a well looked after property in a decent area, be positive, it will sell.

Are there lots of For Sale signs in your road that have been there for a while? Always a telling sign.

What do you do if you put it on the market now and get an offer next week ? :scared:

gwrees Dec 16th 2003 11:18 am

If we did sell next week I suppose we could hope that they are in some terrible chain that people usually resent! am a bit worried about the for sale sign thing though. there was one house that still hasn't sold. However there are a lot of people just moving in and i haven't seen a for sale sign or it was down so quick we didn't notice! (a good sign I guess)
I put my house up for sale september, weve just accepted an offer for it and have to be out by end of January. Thing is, we only applied for our skilled independant visa in August, no medicals or anything yet. Now I'm starting to panic when i read that some people wait 12 months for there medicals to come through.
Have I done the wrong thing???

fimart Dec 16th 2003 11:22 am

Great to hear they haven't fallen as that is waht the media keep on saying. that we are going to go into some sort of eighties negative equity thing. However I suppose if the media keep on going on like that it can only spark a lack of confidence in the market and therefore fulfill their prophesy! We are finishing up the curb appeal stuff and the kitchen and bathroom like all the programmes tell you to and will probably put it on in april when the garden will start to look ok. Thanks for advice! Good luck to you as well. are you going on the spouse visa as well?

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hello
i work for Countrywide Estate Agents and although we have noticed a slow down (due to the time of year) we haven't seen the prices of property fall, i would suggest you put the property on the market in January and then fight off the buyers! that's what we intend to do and we only submitted our app in October!
best of luck
rach ;)

tetley101 Dec 16th 2003 11:40 am

we put ours for up for sale last november.

a terraced in wimbledon. it does need a lot of work but surprised at the lack of interest.

We turned down a few stupid offers. eventually we got what we wanted (just about) and exchanged a couple of months ago.

can sort of relax

luckily we don't complete until 31 jan so that works out really well.

I would just be worried about any shock interest rate rises. and personally would rather have the money in the bank than wait to get any more rises in the market

booboo1 Dec 16th 2003 1:09 pm

it is total crap here in mk unless you have a two bed or smaller..
4 bed detached are for sale in abundance but no one is buying much and peeps seem to be either extending their properties or having loft conversions rather than moving Up.. My hubby has to validate by end of March and I can see him having to go over alone at this rate. I hate it so much and it is so frustrating I could crush a grape!!!!!

booboo:mad:

DavidT Dec 16th 2003 2:01 pm

Mine was on the market from May, very little interest via 4 agents, all tossers. only sold on a significantly lower offer, some 8 % reduction in market here in Swindon.
Survey done & clear today, just want to get on with life now so will go through & hope to screw someone at the other end in OZ:D