Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House prices to fall moderately

House prices to fall moderately

Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:10 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House prices to fall moderately

Originally Posted by Kelli28
I'm currently looking at buying and a few people have told me to start at 100k less than the asking price as most houses are way overpriced.
Unfortunately, that only gets a result as long as there is not someone else out there willing to pay the asking price.....It is only when EVERYONE becomes unwilling to pay that price that the seller must then start lowering their expectation.

That is what has transpired over the last several years in Ireland and the UK, but in the 'nice' areas of Australia (where there is ongoing high demand as they are the places everyone wants to live), that does not yet seem to be the case.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I'm currently looking at buying and a few people have told me to start at 100k less than the asking price as most houses are way overpriced.
Have you ever heard the expression "to catch a falling knife". None of us knows what's going to happen but just be careful and be absolutely certain of your priorities.

I see some of the guys who were in a rush to buy a 'family home' in Ireland in the aftermath of the peak. I can't decide whether these guys have been effected more spiritually and emotionally than the guys who bought before the peak but they are absolutely kicking themselves. 20% off peak 'asking prices' seems like a bargain until 'selling prices' are 40% odd off peak 'selling prices'.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:07 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Have you ever heard the expression "to catch a falling knife". None of us knows what's going to happen but just be careful and be absolutely certain of your priorities.

I see some of the guys who were in a rush to buy a 'family home' in Ireland in the aftermath of the peak. I can't decide whether these guys have been effected more spiritually and emotionally than the guys who bought before the peak but they are absolutely kicking themselves. 20% off peak 'asking prices' seems like a bargain until 'selling prices' are 40% odd off peak 'selling prices'.
Maaaaaate, what a shock finding you on a property thread.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

None of us knows what's going to happen
Shit, all this and you've just posted what I've been saying all along!

I knew you would come around and agree with my way of thinking eventually. Good for you.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Quality contributions from the peanut gallery as per usual. Trolling is the term I believe.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Quality contributions from the peanut gallery as per usual. Trolling is the term I believe.
Peanuts taste good!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
This phrase gets used fairly often. But is it really true?
I believe so. Its ok for an agent to tell you how much to market your property for.....BUT if you cant get a buyer at that price, then clearly its not worth that price.....Agents only go on whats sold around you in the last 6 months, however when a glut of similar properties flood the market it gets harder to sustain a higher price....and down they come...

On the flip side, we sold our last property for more than we thought, we had 6 offers in the first weekend, even the agent was shocked...so that house was worth more than we thought people were prepared to pay...

Its a funny old game
Old Jan 25th 2011, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts are you looking, Kelli?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:45 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Logan ... so rough even the floods won't visit ...

Last edited by DeadVim; Jan 25th 2011 at 5:49 am.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:47 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Come to Logan ... so rough even the floods won't visit ...
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_WOYWtdWM5zQ/S6...g/IMG_0795.JPG
My word, what a big one !
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:49 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My word, what a big one !
Complete with terrorist training room in the back

(edit) Was a bit antisocial
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too, am always hanging around the property threads, so much so i have been reading crap about the house prices falling for 4 years, and conclude that i could've afforded a small, modest property 4 years ago, and can definately now afford bugger all, what frightens me now , is the thought that perhaps in the next 4 years i wont be able to afford the rent either
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Me too, am always hanging around the property threads, so much so i have been reading crap about the house prices falling for 4 years, and conclude that i could've afforded a small, modest property 4 years ago, and can definately now afford bugger all, what frightens me now , is the thought that perhaps in the next 4 years i wont be able to afford the rent either
Or you could have bought four years ago. Then maybe you'd now be struggling with your repayments and maybe unable to sell. Maybe in four years time prices will have fallen 20% or 30% and you would have been in negative equity. You have to make your own decisions. There are plenty of maybes.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Unfortunately, that only gets a result as long as there is not someone else out there willing to pay the asking price.....It is only when EVERYONE becomes unwilling to pay that price that the seller must then start lowering their expectation.

That is what has transpired over the last several years in Ireland and the UK, but in the 'nice' areas of Australia (where there is ongoing high demand as they are the places everyone wants to live), that does not yet seem to be the case.
Thats the thing there is always someone willing to pay the price.

There are plenty of Australians willing to pay 9 times their income for a house but their mortgage is only 2.5 -3 times their income, they have the luxury to have plenty of equity in real $$ and not Pommie Peso's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.