Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

House prices to fall moderately

House prices to fall moderately

Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of
Default House prices to fall moderately

"House prices in Australia are expected to fall moderately over the next year, with the biggest declines to be recorded in Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth, according to a country-wide survey by National Australia Bank."

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busi...125-1a3ho.html
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House prices to fall moderately

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
"House prices in Australia are expected to fall moderately over the next year, with the biggest declines to be recorded in Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth, according to a country-wide survey by National Australia Bank."

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz - that's the hornets waking from their nest.......
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:55 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who tried to sell their home two years ago and couldn't get a buyer so they rented it out instead.

Now they need to sell up and have put it on the market for $90,000 less ($669,000) and that's $20,000 above what their agent valued it at.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
I know someone who tried to sell their home two years ago and couldn't get a buyer so they rented it out instead.

Now they need to sell up and have put it on the market for $90,000 less ($669,000)
Where is the house?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 11:58 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Benowa / Carrara area.

The agent told her that there are lots of people wanting to buy but not many of them can proceed with purchases because lenders are tightening up on loan criteria - 20% deposits etc. Self employed people, eg. tradies are also having problems because their income fluctuates so much that some banks see them as a poor risk.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Jan 25th 2011 at 12:03 am.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:02 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Where is the house?
I'm gonna guess...... WA?

Property is only worth what someone will pay. I think that when theres a surplus of same looking 4x2 built around the same time, theres no competition and then its a buyers market. The market where we live in Melbourne is definately cooling and prices are coming down by $10/ $20 k for properties that have been sat around for a while...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:04 am
Banned

Benowa is south of Brisbane on the gold coast (Queensland)
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

The agent told her that there are lots of people wanting to buy but not many of them can proceed with purchases because lenders are tightening up on loan criteria - 20% deposits etc. Self employed people, eg. tradies are also having problems because their income fluctuates so much that some banks see them as a poor risk.
Damn those blasted banks and their new found prudence.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Benowa / Carrara area.

Gold Coast, don't really watch the market down there so will be interesting to see if your friend manages to get a buyer.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm gonna guess...... WA?

Property is only worth what someone will pay. I think that when theres a surplus of same looking 4x2 built around the same time, theres no competition and then its a buyers market. The market where we live in Melbourne is definately cooling and prices are coming down by $10/ $20 k for properties that have been sat around for a while...
The new housing estates all over the country that are all the same, a way out of the city will suffer, but will be good for buyers wanting that kind of area to live. We have an auction in our street on Saturday - I'll walk down just to check out how things are moving and for what price around here.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:21 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones

"National house prices are likely to decline 0.5 per cent over the next 12 months, according to the poll of 237 property professionals"

.5% is 'moderate' ???!!
That is insignifigant !

I own a house, bought 5 years ago.
I would consider a minor fall to be up to 10% and a moderate fall to be between 11-20%, given the current overvalued prices.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
I would consider a minor fall to be up to 10% and a moderate fall to be between 11-20%, given the current overvalued prices.
While 0.5% is tiny, any correction would be unlikely to happen in one year. In Ireland when they set up NAMA they said that downturns last on average 7 years. I'm not sure what their basis for saying that was but that was their prediction.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:46 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
While 0.5% is tiny, any correction would be unlikely to happen in one year. In Ireland when they set up NAMA they said that downturns last on average 7 years. I'm not sure what their basis for saying that was but that was their prediction.
Based on bust lasting about same time as boom I believe Steve.
http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/ho...ars-54110.html
‘‘Deleveraging cycles tend to take about six to seven years, which would fit in with the length of the bubble cycle for Ireland, from 2001 to 2008."

Ireland house prices nationally are now 38% below their peak from 2007, and still dropping...
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0118/houses.html

Because I am acutely aware of how big the property bubble was in Ireland, and just how badly it burst, that is why I scoff at any drop in price of less than 20% here in Aus, given the ridiculous level that 'values' are curently at.

When we bought in 2005, we bought at a peak and were really depressed about it. However, the 'value' of houses in our area has almost doubled again since then. It would not bother me a jot now if 30% came off the current 'values' as our house would still be valued higher than what we paid for it, but more importantly, our outstanding mortgage is only half of what it was 5 years ago and our monthly repayment is now far, far less than what we would pay if we were renting a 3 bed house in our area.

Personally, I believe the country needs a signifigant correction in order to overcome the growing divide between the haves and havenots. I would be all for it, and I am speaking as a property owner !

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jan 25th 2011 at 1:47 am. Reason: added extra reference link
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:01 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

Property is only worth what someone will pay.
This phrase gets used fairly often. But is it really true?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:03 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently looking at buying and a few people have told me to start at 100k less than the asking price as most houses are way overpriced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.