Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Melbourne

Hotels in Melbourne

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hotels in Melbourne

Ok you lot in Melbourne. I am hoping to take my mum and dad to Melbourne for a few days starting 2nd Feb and would like recommendations of things to see, places to go and a nice inexpensive place to stay. Any help gratefully received.

Jo
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

goingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nicegoingau is just really nice
Default Re: Hotels in Melbourne

we used this website for booking our hotel in sydney, but they cover other aeras.

http://www.wotif.com/?country=AU

we did ring and confirm booking just to be sure about an hour later, everything was fine
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I like the location of the Travelodge - next to Eureka Tower and the Belgium Beer Cafe on Southbank. We stayed back in Sept and paid $99 for us and the girls - microwave, basic cutlery/plates and kettle. No pool/gym of course.

Rachel
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Ok you lot in Melbourne. I am hoping to take my mum and dad to Melbourne for a few days starting 2nd Feb and would like recommendations of things to see, places to go and a nice inexpensive place to stay. Any help gratefully received.
As goingau mentioned, Wotif is a great resource for inexpensive hotels.

What to see?
And then your biggest problem is how to choose from the thousands of excellent eateries!

I recommend the restaurant tram for starters. Book today!

Bon voyage!

Last edited by Johnsyweb; Jan 3rd 2008 at 7:21 am. Reason: Added hyperlinks
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 10:33 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

There's a free tram which runs around the city and points out all the main museums, parks and attractions. My hubbie and I found it very useful although as we only went for a short visit we didn't actually get to see most of them!! But there's certainly plenty to see.

I'd give the zoo a miss, it was expensive and most animals were asleep or looked suicidal so quite sad.

The old gaol is very good, you can see the beam from which Ned Kelly was hung and tour around the cells etc. We also took a day trip from Mellie to see the Philip Island penguins and I would highly recommend this! For an extra few bucks on top of the price (something ridiculous like $20) you can upgrade to the 'delux' experience meaning we got better viewing positions than everyone else and our own park ranger (to about 8 people) who explained what we were seeing. Absolutely amazing experience. Also included visits to a wildlife park and a stop off for cream teas!

have a great time!

Therese
Old Jan 4th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
There's a free tram which runs around the city and points out all the main museums, parks and attractions. My hubbie and I found it very useful although as we only went for a short visit we didn't actually get to see most of them!! But there's certainly plenty to see.

I'd give the zoo a miss, it was expensive and most animals were asleep or looked suicidal so quite sad.

The old gaol is very good, you can see the beam from which Ned Kelly was hung and tour around the cells etc. We also took a day trip from Mellie to see the Philip Island penguins and I would highly recommend this! For an extra few bucks on top of the price (something ridiculous like $20) you can upgrade to the 'delux' experience meaning we got better viewing positions than everyone else and our own park ranger (to about 8 people) who explained what we were seeing. Absolutely amazing experience. Also included visits to a wildlife park and a stop off for cream teas!

have a great time!

Therese
Thanks everyone for the tips.

Jo
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

The only tip I'd add is that the YHAs have double and twin rooms aswell as dorms, and you can make your own breakfast etc, which may be your thing. Or not.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:42 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Rydges is a dump which I didn't expect at those prices.
Quay West does some really nice suites if you can afford it, great location on the river bank too. Saville Park Suites was a bit further out (NE corner of the CBD) but the suite was excellent with even a laundry.