Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hot water tank - Repair or Replace?

Hot water tank - Repair or Replace?

Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice
Default Hot water tank - Repair or Replace?

I'm struggling to get a response from the plumbers I've called so thought I would ask on here.

My hot water storage tank is playing up, it sometimes trips the circuit, it did it twice about six months ago then it did it a couple of times yesterday, but now it has started leaking. It’s not leaking fast, it was just trickling yesterday and trickling slower now. I don’t know where the leak is (inside somewhere) the water is coming out from a couple of holes in the external shell. There is a hole in the external shell for the electric cable to go in and the protective pipe for this electrical cable is screw/clamped to the side of the tank. The water was coming from where the screw hole of one of the clamps holding on the protective pipe, if I blocked this hole the water would start coming from the bigger hole where the cable goes in.

I suspect it needs replacing, but would like a more knowledgable opinion.

Thanks
showdan
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hot water tank - Repair or Replace?

Originally Posted by showdan
I'm struggling to get a response from the plumbers I've called so thought I would ask on here.

My hot water storage tank is playing up, it sometimes trips the circuit, it did it twice about six months ago then it did it a couple of times yesterday, but now it has started leaking. It’s not leaking fast, it was just trickling yesterday and trickling slower now. I don’t know where the leak is (inside somewhere) the water is coming out from a couple of holes in the external shell. There is a hole in the external shell for the electric cable to go in and the protective pipe for this electrical cable is screw/clamped to the side of the tank. The water was coming from where the screw hole of one of the clamps holding on the protective pipe, if I blocked this hole the water would start coming from the bigger hole where the cable goes in.

I suspect it needs replacing, but would like a more knowledgable opinion.

Thanks
showdan
If it is old and close to the end of its useful life, replace it. By the time effort and money are expended, you could end up with higher expenses than buying a new one, and still have to replace soon.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:23 am
ABCDiamond

Check what government grants are available at the moment for changing to a better type.

You never know, you may get lucky. I changed my old electric one for a new heat pump for under $500, including installation.

Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Thanks for the advice.

The tanks is just over 8 years old, so wouldn't have thought it was too far off its expected life.

Have been looking at the solar ones which look like they will cost me around $2,000 after rebates or $1000 for a heat pump after rebates.

There's a reasonable possibility we will be moving house sometime in the next few years, so will probably make more sense going for the cheaper heat pump?

Any recommendations on suppliers etc would be great if anyone has any.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by showdan
Thanks for the advice.

The tanks is just over 8 years old, so wouldn't have thought it was too far off its expected life.
Have been looking at the solar ones which look like they will cost me around $2,000 after rebates or $1000 for a heat pump after rebates.

There's a reasonable possibility we will be moving house sometime in the next few years, so will probably make more sense going for the cheaper heat pump?

Any recommendations on suppliers etc would be great if anyone has any.
It depends on quality, but 10-15 years seems to be the useful life range.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We swapped our tank for an instant gas water heater- not only is our bill much less per quarter, but we have as much hot water as we need, and a freed up cupboard in the laundry. It will pay for itself in 2 years(we've had it for about a year).
Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

What_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really niceWhat_a_life is just really nice

if its leaking, its either had it or it could be leaking where the electrical element is connected, eg screws / bolts are lose. It probably trips off because water is on the electrics (or a common problem i have found on rheems is the stat has gone) if its leaking from a welded joint it needs replacing.

with regard to changing it, solar is the best option if you have somewhere for the panels and clear line of sight of the sky. heatpumps can be noisy, as electric prices rise so will your electric bill fo the heat pump, as with the solar heat pumps cant be installed just anywhere outside, so you need the correct position.

chepest option is your moving is to buy a used tank, eg where someone have upgraded to a larger one or installed solar / gas / heat pump etc.

J
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what type of system you have now but I've just replaced my solar hot water system for a new larger solar one.

I had the same problems you have with my previous one IE it would trip the electric booster and sometimes leak. It was the pressure relief valve which lets water out when the tank gets to hot to stop it exploding. Unfortunely my tank was 30 years old and the relief valve would sometimes stick open, and spray water over the bare electric wires, and I would have to strip the valve down to reset it. About 2 years ago the tank actually split at the seam and I had to weld it back up.

I don't think you can weld a new tank up as the material ther're made of is very thin theses days and designed to be a throw away item (an expensive throwaway).

I would just go with a new system. When I looked at changing mine I priced all the options (didn't look too much at the heat pump) and the gas option was the cheapest, then the electric and the most expensive was the solar with an electric boost. But with the solar it is the cheapest to run so it pays for itself in about 7 years after that its free hot water but with the other options you keep on paying.

Keel
Old Dec 24th 2010, 5:09 pm
Banned

wenger230 is an unknown quantity at this point

hot water (e.g. a hot water tap is opened for a sink, shower, tub, or washing machine) the tankless water heater's water flow turbine senses the flow and starts the heating process.

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 28th 2010 at 6:46 pm. Reason: spam removal