Hornsby?

Old Sep 17th 2005, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

melbal35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hornsby?

Anyone able to give any info on Hornsby? Considering it as a 'possible' area to move to - with a 7 and 4 year old in tow. What are the schools like? Do you have to be in a 'catchment' area to get into the school of your choice? Basically any info on what it's like as an area, both pros and cons welcomed. Thanks!
Old Sep 17th 2005, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hornsby?

Originally Posted by melbal35
Anyone able to give any info on Hornsby? Considering it as a 'possible' area to move to - with a 7 and 4 year old in tow. What are the schools like? Do you have to be in a 'catchment' area to get into the school of your choice? Basically any info on what it's like as an area, both pros and cons welcomed. Thanks!
Not sure what Hornsby is like to live in, but it has a lovely shopping mall. Its about 30-45 mins on the train to CBD depending which train you catch.

Jo
Old Sep 17th 2005, 11:55 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Not sure what Hornsby is like to live in, but it has a lovely shopping mall. Its about 30-45 mins on the train to CBD depending which train you catch.

Jo
We stayed in hornsby for about a month, very nice, good shops with a westfield in the town. Nice town center, people freindly and the place is clean. A fair way from the coast still and very hot in summer. We used the maternity services there to start with and that experience was very poor with lost results and records, mis information etc. I don't think this is particular to Hornsby though. I would put Hornsby high on the places to live if you must live in or near Sydney.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 2:11 am
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by arkon
We stayed in hornsby for about a month, very nice, good shops with a westfield in the town. Nice town center, people freindly and the place is clean. A fair way from the coast still and very hot in summer. We used the maternity services there to start with and that experience was very poor with lost results and records, mis information etc. I don't think this is particular to Hornsby though. I would put Hornsby high on the places to live if you must live in or near Sydney.
we live there now and like it. for families with kids though i'd be looking at hornsby heights as well... more family orientated. but generally hornsby is a good safe spot with plenty of amenities.

try renting first but i doubt you'd hate it
Old Sep 18th 2005, 6:41 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjonboy
we live there now and like it. for families with kids though i'd be looking at hornsby heights as well... more family orientated. but generally hornsby is a good safe spot with plenty of amenities.

try renting first but i doubt you'd hate it
Oh I need to add if you've got dogs it might not be such a good place. Its very dog unfriendly both from the perspective of where to take them and the little creatures that seem to really like Hornsby. Hornsby is a hot bed of activity for the Paralysis tick and if you've got dogs its a question of when they get them and not if they get them. Also there are a lot of leeches in that area too. Obviously I don't mean the CBD but the houses are all very much in and around the edge of the bush. We took 3 dogs for a walk, 2 were ours and when we got back our too were covered in lyches and it looked like a blood bath. The other dog had 2 paralysis ticks on its head! This was around december time.
Old Sep 18th 2005, 7:56 am
Just Joined

thanks for the info....

Any idea how long it would take to drive to the coast and also Hornsby Heights has been suggested, how far away is that from Hornsby train station into CBD?

As Hornsby is on the train line I take it it is easy to get home from CBD late at night... any views?
Old Sep 18th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by melbal35
thanks for the info....

Any idea how long it would take to drive to the coast and also Hornsby Heights has been suggested, how far away is that from Hornsby train station into CBD?

As Hornsby is on the train line I take it it is easy to get home from CBD late at night... any views?
http://www.cityrail.info/timetable/t...&day=wd&dir=up You can also catch inter-urbans from the central coast which go via the main northern line. These trains terminate at Central (fewer stops). Check out the Night Rider bus.
www.131500.com.au is another transport site.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:41 am
India-M'chester-Syd('05)

base_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant future

We are living in Hornsby fo last 4 months. I'd whole heartedly recommend this place.

Good points:

1. Clean
2. mostly professional people
3. westfield is quite big
4. hornsby station is one of the big ones in North Shore Line
5. several national parks nearby
6. family friendly

hornsby heights is 5-8 mins drive from the station. on couple of occasions, my wife came back home quite late at night using the train, she never had any problem
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:00 pm
Wahroonga Boy

Wahroonga Boy will become famous soon enough

Hornsby and the surrounding areas are great. 90 mins to get to the Hunter valley, 20 mins to get to Brooklyn and the nearest ocean beach is 35 mins. Bush is nearby, long walks down by Berowra waters and the national park. The only downside seems to be public secondary schools. They appear to be mostly fee paying with only a couple of good non fee paying schools.

Getting back late at night is fine. Just be prepared for a long journey. One night I was heading home and the trains had been replaced with busses. Took about 2 hours to get home.

It is a great place for families,
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Default !

Originally Posted by Wahroonga Boy
Hornsby and the surrounding areas are great. 90 mins to get to the Hunter valley, 20 mins to get to Brooklyn and the nearest ocean beach is 35 mins. Bush is nearby, long walks down by Berowra waters and the national park. The only downside seems to be public secondary schools. They appear to be mostly fee paying with only a couple of good non fee paying schools.

Getting back late at night is fine. Just be prepared for a long journey. One night I was heading home and the trains had been replaced with busses. Took about 2 hours to get home.

It is a great place for families,

It's all sounding good for Hornsby so far...can anyone offer any advice on (state) preschools/primary schools in the area? Are they any good? Any schools recommended in particular? Do you have to be in a 'catchment' zone to get into the school of your choice? And how did those with kids find they adjusted to the move/new school/home etc?
Think that's it for now - thanks for all the help!