Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

talking to the 10pound pom,;;

talking to the 10pound pom,;;

Old Sep 19th 2005, 9:53 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default talking to the 10pound pom,;;

At dinner on Sunday night, over a bottle of Barossa Shiraz , my father told me about his first week at work in Australia . He had been recruited from Westland Helicopters in Yeovil somerset to work at Commonwealth Aircraft Factory, at Fishermans bend in Melbourne, the year was 1963 and they were building Mirage jet fighters for the RAAF. A number of new chums[ immigrants]had questioned , some work practices [whinging poms] he was informed by his manager "you as immigrants to our country, are here to meet our expectations , not us meet yours " well they must have done a job , the "Mirage" exceeded expectations. HOW would you NEW CHUMS react to that today................. mm
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:03 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: talking to the 10pound pom,;;

is the reaction really that different today? Maybe worded a little differently, but I think the same sentiment it still bubbling just under the surface.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
At dinner on Sunday night, over a bottle of Barossa Shiraz , my father told me about his first week at work in Australia . He had been recruited from Westland Helicopters in Yeovil somerset to work at Commonwealth Aircraft Factory, at Fishermans bend in Melbourne, the year was 1963 and they were building Mirage jet fighters for the RAAF. A number of new chums[ immigrants]had questioned , some work practices [whinging poms] he was informed by his manager "you as immigrants to our country, are here to meet our expectations , not us meet yours " well they must have done a job , the "Mirage" exceeded expectations. HOW would you NEW CHUMS react to that today................. mm
I have no problem with that sentiment. Whatever country I go to I expect to live by their rules. Not everyone does and I am sure there were some who didn't like it in 1963 - Human nature and all that.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 10:32 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
is the reaction really that different today? Maybe worded a little differently, but I think the same sentiment it still bubbling just under the surface.
Yes Banjo ,but arn,t we more tolerant today,?? ........... mm
Old Sep 19th 2005, 11:53 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I have no problem with that sentiment. Whatever country I go to I expect to live by their rules. Not everyone does and I am sure there were some who didn't like it in 1963 - Human nature and all that.
I agree, dont want to be like those awful Brits who emigrate to Spain and still insist on reading the Sun and eating a full English breakfast and all that!
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:03 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I agree, dont want to be like those awful Brits who emigrate to Spain and still insist on reading the Sun and eating a full English breakfast and all that!

good point !!

When in Rome !!

I am proud to be here, but Im happy with who I am, how i got here and where Im goin.. anyone has a problem with that , then thats there hard shite !

MIL was here few weeks back, few days in.. and shes like ooo sausages arent as nice as Safeway (uk) and ooo Chinese food here isnt as nice as uk....

12 weeks in shes like WHY THE FOOK CANT THE UK BE MORE LIKE OZ !

We were astounded
Old Sep 19th 2005, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
I would hope that the Aussie Management techniques are not the same as they were in the sixties, and that managers would embrace new ideas, or at least listen to them.
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on the above. If you cant accept the way the country works and live within their limitations then you really are in the wrong place.