Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move back to Aus with my partner and 2 young kids

Hoping to move back to Aus with my partner and 2 young kids

Old Feb 4th 2021, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Magnetic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move back to Aus with my partner and 2 young kids

Hi, I'm posting here as I'd really appreciate some feedback from people who are thinking of or already have made the permanent move over to Aus especially if you have done it with kids.
My partner is a plumber and has a good chance of getting employee sponsorship before heading out. I'm a business analyst which is also on the skills shortage list, however I don't think I have sufficient education to grant a visa. We both have a big network of friends there from home or ones we met while living there a few years ago. I also have a huge number of family members (more than here even) there. My kids are very young, baby and preschooler. So now is the right time to do it as kids this young are so adaptable.
It's a massive move with so much to consider and organise at home and over there. For those who have done it, how hard did you find it with kids, did your kids settle in quickly? Was it tough finding suitable housing for a family that didn't break the bank? what length of time did you allow for planning and organising before moving? Any and all advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance everyone 😊
Old Feb 4th 2021, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move back to Aus with my partner and 2 young kids

Have you got visas? Did you get RRVs from your previous visit or will you be starting again? I wouldnt be going for sponsorship with a family - it doesnt guarantee a permanent move and you'd have to be prepared to go home if it all goes pear shaped. If you dont have a visa, your partner's skills are the ones most likely to get you in if you dont have a relevant degree. Think about negotiating that minefield before you worry about jobs. Your friends and family are going to be largely irrelevant in the visa process.

We've done it twice now - once over 40 years ago when we packed up, sold a house and moved in about 6 weeks and last year, just the two of us when we decided to leave, bought tickets, packed up a house, cleared out everything, locked it up and hope it sold and left in 3 days so you do what you've got to do when the time comes. When we did it with one kid he was a baby so he was happy wherever mummy and daddy were happy. If your kids have developed a bond with your families then the older they are the more they will find it hard to leave grandparents/aunts, uncles/Cousins especially if they have been doing child care. Be aware that when they grow older kids may regret the lack of extended family (both of mine, now adult, have commented that that was their single greatest regret about the life we lived and I worked very hard to ensure that they did have good family connections) and they may, like one of mine, go back to UK for a holiday and never return. Anything can and will happen in the future.

All depending on where you go, housing is going to take a huge chunk of your income - around here almost every family I know is dual income otherwise they would not afford the mortgage/rent. With a family it's going to be harder to "make do" accommodation wise. You'd best budget for around £50k for the move - visas, fares, quarantine, bonds, upfront costs like cars, insurances, being out of work, general set up etc etc

All you have to be is determined, self sufficient and more that a little bit selfish (not in a pejorative sense) and you will be fine.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Should think that a baby and pre-schooler would have no problem 'settling in'. Just as long as they have food and drink don't believe they care where they live.

When did you leave Australia.?
Old Feb 5th 2021, 6:43 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Funnily enough we did it the other way round and left Australia when mine were a baby and toddler, and came back to UK (both nearly adults now!). It's a good age to move as they haven't started school so it gives you time to settle in your new home before they start school. Also when they start school, you will make friends (as will your kids) and feel that real sense of community. Look into visas though as it could be a very slow process esp at the moment. If you can get enough points on a skills permanent residency visa that would be the best route - but time consuming. Wishing you well on your journey.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

I agree, kids are so resilient! I've been showing my daughter pictures of the beaches etc she was on board as soon as she heard she could wear shorts everyday

I left 10 years ago so quiet a while but the want to go back as never waned.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Did you find it hard to settle back into the UK or pine for the AU lifestyle at all? The PR route is definitely the way to go if we can, with the employer sponsorship after the 4 years it could lead us to the PR visa but that's more stress and cost I suppose.
Old Feb 18th 2021, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for all the info.

Having them miss out on the relationship with their Grandparents and cousins is certainly something that is a real drawback for me. I was very close to my grandparents. But as I mentioned I do have a huge extended family out there so I'm hoping that would partly alleviate that issue for the kids. Its never an easy choice when family is involved but I think ultimately it has to come down to whats best for your own family.

You're right, visas are absolutely the first minefield that we need to navigate but I know ATM they are only accepting visas for critical needs i.e. MD's and RN's. So I suppose no harm in doing plenty of assessment in the interim so we're in the know of whats ahead.