Reload this Page >

Citizenship timeline and HECS-HELP

Citizenship timeline and HECS-HELP

Old Feb 16th 2021, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Citizenship timeline and HECS-HELP

Hi all,

I'm a PR and a Uni student. I got a CSP for Uni but not HECS-HELP, as I am not a Citizen. The problem I'm having is that I can't be in 2 places at once - at the Uni and at a job, to pay the Uni fees 😅 I can manage part-time study for a while but I can't do the entire degree part-time (it's a Science degree, which needs to be completed sooner than most other degrees). So, unless I can get HECS-HELP, I will have to drop out of my Uni course. My questions...

1. How long after getting Citizenship can I get HECS-HELP? Is there a delay period (like the 2yr NARWP when you become a PR)?

2. Looking at the current processing times for the Citizenship, there's different timeframes. Would I have to wait until after the ceremony to apply for HECS-HELP (25 months)? Or just the decision (17 months)?😃

Thanks for any guidance on this 😃
Old Feb 19th 2021, 8:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship timeline and HECS-HELP

Originally Posted by red7
Hi all,

I'm a PR and a Uni student. I got a CSP for Uni but not HECS-HELP, as I am not a Citizen. The problem I'm having is that I can't be in 2 places at once - at the Uni and at a job, to pay the Uni fees 😅 I can manage part-time study for a while but I can't do the entire degree part-time (it's a Science degree, which needs to be completed sooner than most other degrees). So, unless I can get HECS-HELP, I will have to drop out of my Uni course. My questions...

1. How long after getting Citizenship can I get HECS-HELP? Is there a delay period (like the 2yr NARWP when you become a PR)?

2. Looking at the current processing times for the Citizenship, there's different timeframes. Would I have to wait until after the ceremony to apply for HECS-HELP (25 months)? Or just the decision (17 months)?😃

<image snipped>

Thanks for any guidance on this 😃
It's perfectly possible to work FT and study FT, you just have to juggle and not have a life Just finished an honours degree in 4 1/2 years, and worked FT afternoon / night shifts at the same time so paid uni fees upfront so no debt.

I also just got approved for citizenship - applied mid October 2020, test was 6th Feb and approved same day so just waiting on ceremony if that helps. There are no delays on being able to apply for HECS once you've had a ceremony but you are not Australian until after the ceremony.

Also, don't forget to apply for scholarships - someone has to get them.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Feb 19th 2021 at 9:00 am.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

red7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Just finished an honours degree in 4 1/2 years, and worked FT afternoon / night shifts at the same time so paid uni fees upfront so no debt.
OK, so now I'm jealous. If I tried to do that, I would literally be dead. Or at best, flunk Uni and get fired for sleeping on the job! I'm one of those annoying people that can't function on less than 8hrs sleep (and I don't think it annoys anyone as much as it annoys me!). I envy you superhumans

I also just got approved for citizenship - applied mid October 2020, test was 6th Feb and approved same day so just waiting on ceremony if that helps. There are no delays on being able to apply for HECS once you've had a ceremony but you are not Australian until after the ceremony.
That's great news, congrats! But now I'm annoyed with myself again because I was eligible to apply nearly a year ago but delayed it because of the cost. Urgh. Oh well, better late than never. At least there's no waiting periods/delays.

Also, don't forget to apply for scholarships - someone has to get them.
That's true and I did look at them but they're not available to part time students.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 1:58 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by red7
OK, so now I'm jealous. If I tried to do that, I would literally be dead. Or at best, flunk Uni and get fired for sleeping on the job! I'm one of those annoying people that can't function on less than 8hrs sleep (and I don't think it annoys anyone as much as it annoys me!). I envy you superhumans

That's great news, congrats! But now I'm annoyed with myself again because I was eligible to apply nearly a year ago but delayed it because of the cost. Urgh. Oh well, better late than never. At least there's no waiting periods/delays.

That's true and I did look at them but they're not available to part time students.
Not sure where you are studying but you can try talking to the program director to best arrange classes to suit any job you have.

Also, most lectures are available online so you don't have to be on campus for those - and for some courses you can also do tutorials online too. I had one course that I couldn't make any class, but I could make the consultation time so I spoke to the course coordinator and did the course when I could, and did catch up with any questions during consultation. They really are very helpful if you make them aware of your situation