Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

hoovers and microwaves

hoovers and microwaves

Old Oct 19th 2004, 4:28 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default hoovers and microwaves

hi

do UK hoovers and microwaves work ok in Auz, if you change the plugs?
My hover has decided to pack up as well as my microwave, i was wondering should i buy cheepies till i move there or buy nice ones and take them with me, will they work out there?

cheers

laura
x
Old Oct 19th 2004, 11:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: hoovers and microwaves

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hi

do UK hoovers and microwaves work ok in Auz, if you change the plugs?
My hover has decided to pack up as well as my microwave, i was wondering should i buy cheepies till i move there or buy nice ones and take them with me, will they work out there?

cheers

laura
x
Yes, they will work. They only things you may have trouble with are the Video Player and (maybe) TV.

Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:07 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, they will work. They only things you may have trouble with are the Video Player and (maybe) TV.

Especially if you put them in the microwave...
Old Oct 20th 2004, 4:27 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Beware the Coriolis Effect

Coriolis Effect

As most electrical items shipped from Europe are designed for use in the northern hemisphere, care should be taken when taking them south of the equator, as any component utilising a DC motor will actually run in reverse.

In your example, this will have the effect of a vacuum cleaner becoming a blower, thus emptying the contents of the bag or dirt repository all over your floor.

In the case of the microwave oven, this will necessitate wearing a lead apron whilst in you kitchen as the microwaves will be distributed outside rather than inside the oven. This is not expensive as it sounds, the cheapest yet effective aprons cost around $30, usually available at large electrical retailers like Dick Smith, beside the section with adapter plugs and extension leads. Use of the cheaper aprons is not recommended as they've been shown to be ineffective.

Good luck!

Big.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah

Coriolis Effect

As most electrical items shipped from Europe are designed for use in the northern hemisphere, care should be taken when taking them south of the equator, as any component utilising a DC motor will actually run in reverse.

In your example, this will have the effect of a vacuum cleaner becoming a blower, thus emptying the contents of the bag or dirt repository all over your floor.

In the case of the microwave oven, this will necessitate wearing a lead apron whilst in you kitchen as the microwaves will be distributed outside rather than inside the oven. This is not expensive as it sounds, the cheapest yet effective aprons cost around $30, usually available at large electrical retailers like Dick Smith, beside the section with adapter plugs and extension leads. Use of the cheaper aprons is not recommended as they've been shown to be ineffective.

Good luck!

Big.
He he he. Good one - I like that.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by nickyc
He he he. Good one - I like that.
It was good wasn't it But, I am a bit concerned though, thatthere may be some people out there that may actually think its true !! After all, water does go down the plug hole the other way round !!

Old Oct 20th 2004, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

We have just gone and bought a new hoover as I decided the fuss of cleaning the old one, which is a bit old and broken now anyway, was too much. But I am not bothering with the microwave. Vacuums can be quite expensive over in Oz. Especially for a good bagless one. However, microwaves are 10 a penny so I'll wait till I get there. Mine isn't broken but I just didn't think it was worth shipping something that'll be cheap as chips in Oz. (Then mum informed me that the one I had before I moved to UK is still working and in good condition. In fact she's been using it since hers broke and has only just replaced her old one.) Remember you'll have difficulty getting them fixed under warranty unless you have a big international brand anyway.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 7:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Coriolis Effect

Good luck!

Big.

For a brief second, you almost had me there - thinking "he's not serious - no you silly cow he's not"
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:10 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Coriolis Effect

Good luck!

Big.

you almost had me bfor a min there!

laura
Old Oct 20th 2004, 10:38 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

I shipped my dyson animal - cos I love it! All my aussie mates were amazed that there was a purple dyson! And yes - it works perfectly over here. Hint - if you want a dyson, buy it in the UK. They cost a bomb over here.

W.