Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Family Friendly Hotels

Hong Kong Family Friendly Hotels

Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Hong Kong Family Friendly Hotels

Can anybody recommend a family friendly (2 kids - 9 and 13) hotel in Hong Kong with excellent views of the harbour and within easy reach of main tourist attractions?

It's been suggested to us that staying on Kowloon would give us better views but never having been to Hong Kong before , we're really not sure

We're there for 2 nights by the way (stopping off on way to Perth) in March 2006

Thanks

BD
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:54 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hong Kong Family Friendly Hotels

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
Can anybody recommend a family friendly (2 kids - 9 and 13) hotel in Hong Kong with excellent views of the harbour and within easy reach of main tourist attractions?

It's been suggested to us that staying on Kowloon would give us better views but never having been to Hong Kong before , we're really not sure

We're there for 2 nights by the way (stopping off on way to Perth) in March 2006

Thanks

BD
I know someone who might know But shes asleep now. Normally Hong Kong questions get her running here

I assume when Mrs JTL wakes up in the morning and gets a bit of time in work she will reply to you. Other wise just pm 'JackTheLad' and she'll reply at some point,

ADL
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:32 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Hong Kong Family Friendly Hotels

Definitely the YMCA The Salisbury.... overlooks the harbour (see the light show about 8pm each night - AMAZING), minutes from the Star Ferry, really reasonably sized nice comfy clean rooms, swimming pools... and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more reasonably priced than anywhere else we found... We booked through asiatravel.com and paid $1100 per night per room which I think was aprox. £91...

We've been to HK several times and slept in tiny shoeboxes which cost a fortune, and found the hotel restaurants didn't cater for children etc... this is NOT like that and we would never stay anywhere else if/when we go back (We be me, hubby and children aged 12, 9 and 4)!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:24 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

We stayed at the Kowloon Shangri La and it was outstanding. The room was GORGEOUS and the facilities were ace. 10 min walk to Star Ferry but the hotel did a free shuttle anyway. Saying that I did get it half price through my work staff travel as we do a lot of Far East...dont think Id have been staying there if it was full price!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

BD
Try these two links where a number of users and I have posted some info on shopping and accommodation information for Hong Kong:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303109
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304164

Do a search on Hong Kong and you'll see many more other posts.

Please post any other questions you may have - there will be quite a few people here who can help answer them.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Try these two links where a number of users and I have posted some info on shopping and accommodation information for Hong Kong:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303109
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304164

Do a search on Hong Kong and you'll see many more other posts.

Please post any other questions you may have - there will be quite a few people here who can help answer them.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Thanks to all for your helpful advice

I like the sound and look of the Salisbury. It's the YMCA bit that's putting me off. Is the place full of backpackers or strange looking men dressed in anything from Red Indian Outfits to Construction worker outfits doing a slightly bizarre and some would say quite camp type dance???

The travel consultant we spoke to suggested staying on Kowloon as it afforded more spectacular views of HK Island (or vice versa) but we were not quite sure whether this was a 'selling tactic' i.e more commission. Given our requirements (above) does anybody have a view on whether HK Island itself or Kowloon would be the better choice??

Many Thanks

BD
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I like the sound and look of the Salisbury. It's the YMCA bit that's putting me off. Is the place full of backpackers or strange looking men dressed in anything from Red Indian Outfits to Construction worker outfits doing a slightly bizarre and some would say quite camp type dance???

The travel consultant we spoke to suggested staying on Kowloon as it afforded more spectacular views of HK Island (or vice versa) but we were not quite sure whether this was a 'selling tactic' i.e more commission. Given our requirements (above) does anybody have a view on whether HK Island itself or Kowloon would be the better choice??

Many Thanks

BD
Don't be put off by the name "YMCA". It's a proper hotel with more than 1 good heated swimming pool, and a good harbour view if you ask & pay for a slightly better harbourview room. Location is very convenient.

No, the place is not full of backpackers at all. In fact most backpackers, the noisy ones especially, can't afford it!

I've always stayed on the HK Island side because my family's there and I'm quite biased. The Ocean Park, the Peak, and a few good beaches are on the Island side. As I say to everyone here, the transport (especially the MTR/undergroun) is so easy and efficient that it really doesn't make too big a difference unless you're staying way out in the New Territories or on one of the little islands.

If money's no object, try some of these hotels, all with execellent view of the harbour.

Kowloon side:
The Penisula
Inter-Continental

Hong Kong side:
Grand Hyatt
Island Shangri-La
Conrad
Marriot

Mrs JTL
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:05 am
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Hong Kong Family Friendly Hotels

Many Thanks

BD
I agree with Mrs JTL.... we didn't see ANY backpackers - and sadly no singing construction workers/cowboys/indians either!!!! There are mainly business men, with a fair proportion of middle aged tourists and a few families... The rooms themselves were very quiet, but the foyer could be lively at times with lots of locals using the facilities (mainly adult eduction courses and a childrens day club as we were there in the school holidays). I particularly liked the fact that the vast majority of people there were local.

And personally I got more than a little thrill from the fact that our view was the same as people staying in the Peninsula... big mega expensive smart hotel with lots of shiny chandeliers and bellhops!!!