Honesty!

Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:41 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honesty!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As always, Flea, excellent post. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Thanks Dorothy, but as usual, it is totally ignored.... need i say more.

Not what they want to read obviously ...
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

Thant's because it's a reasonable reply and not what people necessarily want to hear.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi Flea, how's the OH? Will you be back in UK soon?

As for the OP, friends and relatives take things differently. Don't just think they are jealous because you are getting a Visa and they arn't. We are not any better than them just because we have emigrated.
Appreciate what you have got, as leaving them will be harder for you, even if you can't see it now.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:15 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fartso
Hi B.E members.

Can anyone tell me, that they have experienced mixed feelings when telling friends about the move to OZ.

Some of our very good friends have been genuine in wishing us all the best, while others have been distant and had'nt said a lot.

Tell me im not paranoid, but i get the feeling some are 'jealous' or 'false' or both!

We have our Visa's and are going out for a Reccie in Feb 2009.
Sorry if this post is Bland, but any info please
My best friend told me (when talking as freely as the alcohol was flowing) that I would never go and that I wouldn't have what it takes to see it through.

Needless to say, we are not best friends any longer (in fact saying what he said to me caused me to view him differently and we drifted apart before I left the UK).

I had a German colleague (who was a completely arrogant tw*t) tell me that I'd be back in a month. I proved him wrong and I think that in part these remarks stem from jealousy.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

TBH most people here (DUbai) have been really supportive, family (mine) have been really keen because they can visit although the odd 'you will be so far away' comment comes up, DH's family were fine and plan a visit 4 weeks after we land !!!! It was his nan who was extremely upset, even though we live in Dubai she always imagined us coming back after this contract. I think like Flea said, she feels abandoned and it's very hard to deal with, the work just isn't there for us to go back to right now even though we love BAth...however we are looking forawrd to 4 years (or more?) in Sydney...so will see what happens.
I do think that 'some' people ARE jealous because Oz is portrayed as the land of sun and happiness and beaches, where people don't really work more than 10 hours a week, go fishing and generally have barbies non stop....so sometimes its the idea that you might be escaping to somewhere that leaves behind the daily grind...truth is....the daily grind is there it's just different....(hoping for less grind and more FREEDOM then the UAE please!)
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:24 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well i didnt give a flying doo da when i was going,my life my decision.Mind you nobody seemed to care much anyway sniff sniff
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Well i didnt give a flying doo da when i was going,my life my decision.Mind you nobody seemed to care much anyway sniff sniff
Aww poor you

Nobody i knew were jealous that we were going to sunny OZ, they were envious, but not jealous. I'm jealous of them now
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bu1lder
Oh i forgot to mention i've also had "WHAT ABOUT ALL THE CROCS,SPIDERS,SHARKS, JELLY FISH AND SNAKES??" i mean come on!! get real!! i even got told " You cant get propper food!! not even..........erm.......Lurpac!" not a joke i was really told that.
p.s. "EVERY ONE GETS SKIN CANCER IN OZ!" I've had that one also.
You'll be pleased to know you can get Lurpak

Unfortunately the thing about skin cancer is not far off the mark. I have plenty of friends in their 20s and 30s even who have had to have large chunks of their flesh cut out (one spanned right across her whole back).
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Appreciate what you have got, as leaving them will be harder for you, even if you can't see it now.
Couldn't agree more. They will still have their family, friends and support network around them while those who emigrate usually have no-one. Eventually over time this changes but as well all know it can take a long time.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:56 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

I left UK 9yrs ago.

Try to step back and think about these issues from their perspective. YOU are leaving them. Whilst you have your own feelings and emotions, so do they. They will feel you are abandoning THEM and are probably trying to ease the hurt in their own ways. Try to remember it is you that is changing the goal posts in whatever relationship, it is not them.
How would you feel if someone you cared deeply about, or relied on or enjoyed being with suddenly told you they were upping sticks to the other side of the world?
I agree, whilst some were excited for us the closer ones seemed not to care which I found really upsetting, I didnt say anything .. should have done because at our leaving do they were the ones who were heartbroken I was gobsmacked to learn thats how they had been feeling.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:22 am
Just Joined

T5Mikka is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Honesty!

I moved to Aus (only for a year & a half) and had the same problem, some freinds where really supportive and others where not, that said I have had other freinds who have moved abroad so can see it from both sides, you do miss them but at the same time they are also missing you.
However its your life, and a life in Aus is in my opinion is the best, but I came back becuase of missing the family and must say my best freinds.

Dont forget you can always talk to them using a web cam, post pics on facebook of your new life, etc, and they can always have a free holiday by coming to see you.

The funny thing is when I returned some of my freinds where still the same and have not really spoken to them to this day, so where they really freinds I needed in the first place.

You only get one life and if you dont like it over there you can always come back to the crappy UK.

Oh and I had a real ball in AUS, I will return one day.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Flea,

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. Only just came back to the thread.

You make a good point and I suppose its something that will only really hit me once I am in Australia. At the moment I am a bit wrapped up in myself.

The thing is, I am a good friend. I know that if the boot was on the other foot I would be supportive and helpful and if I was devastated I would let it be known, not just be "cool".

I know that some of my friends might struggle with my decision, but thats the only thing they have to deal with. I have a head full of worry, organisational problems, packing lists, school lists etc and I really do feel let down by some of the people that I thought were close to me. I am absolutely not expecting anyone to actually help me in a physical sense, just a bit of emotional support.

That said, there is still a bit of time for some to step up. I hope that they do otherwise it will be a bit strained when they get in touch looking for some free holiday accomodation. (Or for me to send some free Ug boots over for one of their daughters as has already been dropped into conversation)