Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Home prices to explode ?

Home prices to explode ?

Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:17 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home prices to explode ?

Originally Posted by Kapri
The housing market in the USA crashed.

The housing market here in the UK is falling.

Both of these factors are linked to a global credit crunch so why would Australia escape?

Also - there will be lot les British immigrants arriving in Australia due to them not being able to sell their houses here in the U.K
But it won't happen in Oz

so tells me, a 23 yr old EA

on P plates, living at home with mum & dad
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

The Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of light

So, what do you all advise to do if recently moved to Aus, and sold uk property with equity in bank in UK? Do we wait to see if exchange rate goes up and Aus house prices fall, or buy now and hope that they stay the same or rise, and that the interest rates either stay the same or go down? We really dont know what to do, having spoke to many locals where we are, some say its a buyers market and wont fall anymore, others say wait 12-24months when they really fall, and others say they are not falling, but will start to rise sharply over the next 2 years. We live near Noosa so prices are quite steep, but we are looking at Coolum, which is a lot more reasonable, and they are set to begin an update/refurb of the whole seafront in 2 months time.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions invited. Thanks.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

tahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nicetahititim is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The amount of $$ banks are willing to lend here really has nothing to do with affordability. Case in point: when we first arrived we had small deposit, only 1 of us working earning $40k, offered $400k by bank to buy/build a house. Repayments would have been more than 50% of our income, but they thought we were a good risk.
Hi Dorothy,
If it is not a secret, let me know what's the bank's name?!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:24 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
But it won't happen in Oz

so tells me, a 23 yr old EA

on P plates, living at home with mum & dad

I feel reassured now
Old Jul 10th 2008, 5:24 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bournes
So, what do you all advise to do if recently moved to Aus, and sold uk property with equity in bank in UK? Do we wait to see if exchange rate goes up and Aus house prices fall, or buy now and hope that they stay the same or rise, and that the interest rates either stay the same or go down? We really dont know what to do, having spoke to many locals where we are, some say its a buyers market and wont fall anymore, others say wait 12-24months when they really fall, and others say they are not falling, but will start to rise sharply over the next 2 years. We live near Noosa so prices are quite steep, but we are looking at Coolum, which is a lot more reasonable, and they are set to begin an update/refurb of the whole seafront in 2 months time.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions invited. Thanks.

Can't give advice, but we're happy to tell you that the plan is to take out the regular savers account with Halifax .... 12% AER with £5000 in the account by 4 weeks after opening and a regular deposit of, I think, £25 or more per month. Only offered for 12 months but, it's a great offer! I can't even find that on an ISA even on the after tax rate!
We're going to let our money sit it out for a bit.... tbh I don't know what the market is going to do, but I'm guessing that it won't rise more than the interest that I'm going to earn on the money I'm depositing here!
I'm bricking it a bit that the exchange rate will become really favourable for us and then drop before my 12 months are up, more than how much our future home is going to cost us!!!
Everything is, at best an educated risk, at worst a complete and utter unqualified risk, but this is our decision at the moment!

Ali
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

I think you'r on the ball Ali and good to see Kapri sounding positive.
I'm hoping to move over permanently in Jan 2010 and hopefully by then house prices in Aus will be lower and house prices in the UK will have stabalised. Also, we may be out of a possible depression by then and the £ will be strong again. Perhaps falling house prices in the UK are not too much of a problem if the £ recovers its strength and the $ weakens! My wife wants a newly built 4b house under $400K!! Any comments?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:49 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
I think you'r on the ball Ali and good to see Kapri sounding positive.
I'm hoping to move over permanently in Jan 2010 and hopefully by then house prices in Aus will be lower and house prices in the UK will have stabalised. Also, we may be out of a possible depression by then and the £ will be strong again. Perhaps falling house prices in the UK are not too much of a problem if the £ recovers its strength and the $ weakens! My wife wants a newly built 4b house under $400K!! Any comments?
Most 4 bed 2 bath homes cost (not marketed) around $250K too build base. Add fittings and you are going to struggle regardless of market. Unless you concede location.

I hope for you I am proved wrong
Old Jul 12th 2008, 12:10 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Most 4 bed 2 bath homes cost (not marketed) around $250K too build base. Add fittings and you are going to struggle regardless of market. Unless you concede location.

I hope for you I am proved wrong
and rising all the time apparently.
http://www.news.com.au/business/mone...013951,00.html

"The Master Builders Queensland Cordell Housing Cost Index found a "typical" four-bedroom, 200sq m brick family home in southeast Queensland now costs $271,574 to build, a jump of $11,755 in the past 12 months."

"From November last year until February this year it went up by $2205, mostly due to rises in the price of materials and labour."

"MBQ director of housing Darren Barlow said that in March 2004 the cost of building a new home was only $221,700. "
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:44 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Property nearing once-in-100-year slump
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24012370-2,00.html

"The only other times this has ever occurred are before we have moved into severe recessions."
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

To aliplay,
Check out the small print on that Halifax deal - if it is like the Alliance and Leicester 10% deal (which I would guess it is) the interest is 12% on the 1st deposit for 12 months, same on the 2nd deposit for 11 months etc and when you work out the compound interest the A+L works out at 4.35%, yours will work out around 5% - not the 12% as stated.
Banks, you gotta love 'em!

Croc
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:16 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Home prices to explode ?

When people choose to live beyond their means, then blame the banks for lending too much when it all turns sour, I find it hard to dredge up any sympathy for them.

It's very simple: don't borrow more than you can afford to repay, and make sure your mortgage is low enough to accommodate future rate rises.

If necessary, downsize. That brand new 4x2 with a swimming pool is a privilege, not a right.