Home from Home

Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:22 am
Badge

Default Home from Home

A quick cut and paste from me....OK a photo...

I wanted to see what is going on in the old country.

Righto - I want to buy a 3 bed detached house 1 hr from London. Just for fun.
I found one in Camberley, GPB309, almost the same money we paid for our 3 bed house with pool, deck, 1 acre in a village in Australia, but we earn more in dollars than pounds, even if I took a low Aussie salary.

I said to my wife, "not bad, all things considered". I then looked at how new the house looked, and thought, I bet it's on a new estate in which case I am not so sure. Made me realise now, that even in leafy Surrey, and the Home counties there is still the same new estate thing going on there as in Australia. I'm not knocking houses on estates, 4 years I was lucky to have a flat, but there is a lot of criticism against estates here, and now I have a real ripper of a house I'm sad to say; I've raised my expectations(!) I wonder how much the same would be in a small village. I'll keep looking - I'm interested..

BM
Attached Thumbnails Home from Home-p1065356.jpg  

Last edited by Badge; Dec 20th 2004 at 2:39 am.

Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:29 am
Badge

Default Re: Home from Home

Interesting, this house was advertised as being non-estate...

adds a 100k or so. I'm going to try Shropshire - beautiful place.

Just having a reality trip - not trying to troll - just out of touch with whats going on back there. I'm glad I'm over here, honestly I am.

Even if I was earning UKP100k I would be borrowing over 4 times by salary.
The same happens in Melbourne and Sydney BUT I have bettered MY situation. That's why I am here in Australia and others go home I suppose.(!)

It's interesting the way nearly every cheaper house is either "on the popular estate" or "development" even in the villages. Very Australian.

Shropshire next.

BM
Attached Thumbnails Home from Home-3beddetachednon.jpg  

Last edited by Badge; Dec 20th 2004 at 2:36 am.