Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DVD Player - FAO: Melbourne / Victoria Residents

DVD Player - FAO: Melbourne / Victoria Residents

Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:08 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default DVD Player - FAO: Melbourne / Victoria Residents

Greetings,

THE missus has gone and bought me the early christmas present of a DVD player which I thought was jolly decent of her. Only drawback is the damn thing won't play most of my DVDs brought over from England as it says something along the lines of "WRONG REGIONAL DISC INSERTED" whenever I try to play one of my Monty Python films etc.

SO the big question is as follows: Does anyone know any reliable place on the east side of melbourne, or anywhere along the Princes Highway between Melbourne and the NSW border that will be able to (affordably!) "chip" or "unlock" the DVD player to enable it to play discs from other regions?

ALSO, anyone have any inkling of the cost involved of such process??

kind regards
Nick
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:27 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD Player - FAO: Melbourne / Victoria Residents

Originally Posted by NJJ
Greetings,

THE missus has gone and bought me the early christmas present of a DVD player which I thought was jolly decent of her. Only drawback is the damn thing won't play most of my DVDs brought over from England as it says something along the lines of "WRONG REGIONAL DISC INSERTED" whenever I try to play one of my Monty Python films etc.

SO the big question is as follows: Does anyone know any reliable place on the east side of melbourne, or anywhere along the Princes Highway between Melbourne and the NSW border that will be able to (affordably!) "chip" or "unlock" the DVD player to enable it to play discs from other regions?

kind regards
Nick
Nick
I had a similar problem.
I had a very expensive UK system (region 2) and it couldn't be reliably hacked so I bought an easily hackable cheapie DVD player and rigged that up as my "AUX IN" so I still get the 5.1 and can play all my non-region 2 and copy DVD discs.
Works for me as I didn't want the "possibility" of ruining my existing system if the hack goes wrong.

Andrew
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ

kind regards
Nick
You may be able to find information on how to 'unlock' the DVD player if you look online. Seek and you may find, although it will be at your own risk.

Jeremy
Old Dec 20th 2004, 2:57 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NJJ
Greetings,

kind regards
Nick
Hello

both myself and another friend from Scotland bought DVD players in Australia and got the place we purchased them from (The Good Guys) to unlock them for free.

Hope this helps

Mel
Old Dec 20th 2004, 3:22 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Guys -

Search on google for DVD Region Hack, or DVD hack, or DVD Unlock Codes

www.dejanews.com (is google) and you'll find websites which whilst annoying with the odd popup will give you the info you need.

some are :
www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion
www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks
www.dvd365.net/?hacks/hacklist.htm
www.home-sight-and-sound.com/dvd/dvd-hacks.htm

...to name but a few.

Nearly all (if not all) DVD Players are 'hackable' to play multi-region, you dont need them 'chipped' they're like this so the manufacturer doesnt have to open them etc to use them in different continents. Clever people work these out and post them on websites.

If you cant find exactly the model youve got then try similar ones from the same manufacturer.