Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A holiday in Perth / Fremantle

A holiday in Perth / Fremantle

Old May 6th 2016, 11:46 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A holiday in Perth / Fremantle

Thanks Dorothy. Have picked up on a few tips there....thank you.

Perth suburbs? See my post #1. I don't like cities.

I'm also not keen on any lengthy bus or coach trips. Another trip I will hire a car probably. This is a "starter" holiday to WA.

Understood that Rockingham has some nice walks, scenery, dolphins, eateries, seasidey. Not too busy.
Old May 7th 2016, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Thanks Dorothy. Have picked up on a few tips there....thank you.

Perth suburbs? See my post #1. I don't like cities.

I'm also not keen on any lengthy bus or coach trips. Another trip I will hire a car probably. This is a "starter" holiday to WA.

Understood that Rockingham has some nice walks, scenery, dolphins, eateries, seasidey. Not too busy.
Try Mandurah.It might have what you are after.Also,they are some lovely walks along the new Bettys Jetty in the city if you want o stay away from the hustle and bustle of shops.We cycle past that way down to South Perth and get to see our fair share of dolphins.
Old May 7th 2016, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with irishblood, Mandurah is probably what you're thinking of? I wouldn't travel to Rockingham for a holiday either, Mandurah (although it does have faults) is nicer to wander around
Old May 7th 2016, 11:17 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Mandurah looks nice. I agree.

What I am finding out, and I have an Aussie friend here who is also steering me in right direction, is that hotels sure get booked up fast

I am almost thinking of booking 11 nights in Freo near the choo choo station and just zipping around on trains for some side excursions. I think I better make a decision by tomorrow.

Decisions decisions

Thanks all. Very much appreciate your input. I am writing up lots of notes from your posts. If not used for this trip, they will be useful for the next one
Old May 8th 2016, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

What I am finding out, and I have an Aussie friend here who is also steering me in right direction, is that hotels sure get booked up fast

I am almost thinking of booking 11 nights in Freo near the choo choo station and just zipping around on trains for some side excursions. I think I better make a decision by tomorrow.

Decisions decisions

Thanks all. Very much appreciate your input. I am writing up lots of notes from your posts. If not used for this trip, they will be useful for the next one
Fremantle is lovely.My daughter goes to university there.They have an indoor market on at the weekend there.It can get a bit ropey on A Saturday night there but that would be later on in the evening,But that goes for a lot of other cities too. Im sure you will have a great time.
Old May 8th 2016, 12:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Decisions decisions

That's exactly what I'd do, base myself in Freo and take side trips on the train, and on the ferry to Rotto Have a lovely time
Old May 8th 2016, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

My bahasa is pretty minimal I'm afraid

I'll be going in the latter half of October. Will let you know if I get over to your neck of the woods. Thanks for the offer :-)
I gathered as much. Penang Island being hardly the ideal place to put it to much use.

Late October is a rather decent time usually to visit Perth. I'll leave it to you if you'd like to meet for a coffee or meal. As I'm living in the inner city your sure to be in my neck of the woods. Leederville being one of the prime areas for café and dinning choices. I'd personally like to hear of the pro and cons to living in Penang, but no worries leave it up to you.
Mandurah can be a days excursion on the train. I wouldn't personally stay there. IMO somewhat plastic feel to the place.

I think if the whole time is devoted to the metro area, I would divide it between Perth and Fremantle with slightly longer in the latter.

Last edited by the troubadour; May 8th 2016 at 3:16 am.