Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A holiday in Perth / Fremantle

A holiday in Perth / Fremantle

Old May 5th 2016, 9:19 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default A holiday in Perth / Fremantle

Ms bakedbean is on her travels again....at least she will be later this year. Just got a good deal on flights to Perth. Now need to suss out where to stay.

I've got 11 nights. I'm thinking split into 2 places, both within taxi distance of airport. Perth and Fremantle? Fremantle and Rockingham? What do you think?

To recap, I am early-retired, like a bit of walking about, see some nice beaches, scenery, wildlife. Don't like busy cities much.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A holiday in Perth / Fremantle

Perth is hardly an imposing city in business. I would suggest at least some time in Perth(check Ibis Hotel for decent rates and great central location, close to train and ideal for walking to and fro)

Rockingham in my view too remote and a day would cover that. Scarborough has beach side holiday apartments not to far from city with a regular bus service to city.

You may wish to hire a car and see a bit of the south of the state. Well worth a trip especially Rainbow Coast Albany/Denmark/Esperance area. Busy in summer though.

Any questions just ask away. Hopefully you'll find it better than Melaka and the write up I gave that.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ms bakedbean is on her travels again....at least she will be later this year. Just got a good deal on flights to Perth. Now need to suss out where to stay.

I've got 11 nights. I'm thinking split into 2 places, both within taxi distance of airport. Perth and Fremantle? Fremantle and Rockingham? What do you think?

To recap, I am early-retired, like a bit of walking about, see some nice beaches, scenery, wildlife. Don't like busy cities much.
Hello Ms BB A train from Perth city to Fremantle only takes half an hour, so that might be relevant to your plans. I think you'd love Rottnest Island, it's a 90 minute ferry trip from Perth, or 25 minutes from Fremantle. Rotto (as it's known locally) has beautiful beaches, you can rent a bike and cycle around safely as only service vehicles are allowed on the island, and there are quokkas! Rottnest Island | Quokkas and Wildlife

I'd stay at Fremantle rather than Perth. Perth city itself is quite sterile at night - Northbridge for entertainment, restaurants, bars etc is quite close but probably not somewhere I'd recommend a lone woman walking around at night.

Freo has some interesting historical sites, a great café strip, nice independent shops and some good markets.

So for you and your interests, I'd recommend Fremantle and Rottnest Island.

ps a taxi between Perth International Airport and Fremantle would be around AU$65, but you'd get the ride cheaper with Uber.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Perth is hardly an imposing city in business. I would suggest at least some time in Perth(check Ibis Hotel for decent rates and great central location, close to train and ideal for walking to and fro)

Rockingham in my view too remote and a day would cover that. Scarborough has beach side holiday apartments not to far from city with a regular bus service to city.

You may wish to hire a car and see a bit of the south of the state. Well worth a trip especially Rainbow Coast Albany/Denmark/Esperance area. Busy in summer though.

Any questions just ask away. Hopefully you'll find it better than Melaka and the write up I gave that.
I think Esperance would be a big ask for someone not familiar with WA country roads, it's a 7.5 - 8 hour drive. Albany is more manageable at 4 - 5 hours, depending on how fast you go!, but you'd still want to be a confident driver.

BB, if you're planning to drive down south then Busselton or Margaret River-ish would be more manageable (3 - 4 hours). You do have to be very careful though, the main roads between Perth and the south-west carry a lot of heavy traffic such as trucks and while some are dual carriage, some are only single carriage and can have a lot of twists and turns. You also need to be very careful if you're driving at dawn or dusk, as that's when the kangaroos are on the move (sadly, you'll always see a few dead roos on the roadside).

Not saying any of this to put you off, just to let you know. If you're a confident driver, a trip down south would be well worth it.
Old May 5th 2016, 10:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Troubadour and thanks Spouse.

Yes I am homing in on Freo for sure, and had already earmarked Rottnest for at least a day trip. Quokkas

Someone mentioned Margaret River to me but I think it's a bit too far out (maybe). I'm on my own and not sure if I fancy driving.

I am sure I will pay a pretty penny for the airport taxi to Freo and I'm arriving at stupid o'clock too so no doubt some extra to pay. But y'know this is a one-off and it's only money and, as the late Mr bakedbean used to say "You cannot take it with you."
Old May 5th 2016, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Seashells Scarborough is a good place if you enjoy walks on Beach, some ok restaurants nearby however, also the option to cook your own food (in a kitchen or bbq) and have access to a pool. These are holiday apartments. At the moment they have an offer on their website that doubles your stay for free ie: buy one night, get one night free (seems to be no limit to how many nights you can book). They come in two and three bedroom apartments. https://seashells.com.au/deals/star-deals/

Margaret River (and the South West) is truly lovely, see photos here http://www.christianfletcher.com.au/...4p_%282%29.jpg quite a bit to do, beaches to walk, cafes to enjoy lunch in, wildlife to see, vineyards to visit etc.. However to get anywhere decent it is a good drive away (3 hours plus).

There is a free 'tram' service (and bus service) around the Perth CBD - can quickly whisk you out of the city centre however up to Kings Park. Fantastic view across the city and Swan River to the hills. You can lunch there or walk around. Memorials, big trees etc..

Take a hat and water!

Last edited by Still Game; May 5th 2016 at 10:13 am.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am homing in on Freo for sure, and had already earmarked Rottnest for at least a day trip. Quokkas

Someone mentioned Margaret River to me but I think it's a bit too far out (maybe). I'm on my own and not sure if I fancy driving.

I am sure I will pay a pretty penny for the airport taxi to Freo and I'm arriving at stupid o'clock too so no doubt some extra to pay. But y'know this is a one-off and it's only money and, as the late Mr bakedbean used to say "You cannot take it with you."
We did a driving tour just before we left, Perth, Margaret River, Albany, Esperance. The driving was easy driving, no awkward roads that I recall, I might have just about driven to Margaret River by myself but wouldn't have done the rest. Too far, remote and I would have felt slightly nervous about it by myself.

Not particularly knowledgeable other than that trip and another one we did going north, but I am definitely looking forward to Rottnest Island one day.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I think Esperance would be a big ask for someone not familiar with WA country roads, it's a 7.5 - 8 hour drive. Albany is more manageable at 4 - 5 hours, depending on how fast you go!, but you'd still want to be a confident driver.

BB, if you're planning to drive down south then Busselton or Margaret River-ish would be more manageable (3 - 4 hours). You do have to be very careful though, the main roads between Perth and the south-west carry a lot of heavy traffic such as trucks and while some are dual carriage, some are only single carriage and can have a lot of twists and turns. You also need to be very careful if you're driving at dawn or dusk, as that's when the kangaroos are on the move (sadly, you'll always see a few dead roos on the roadside).

Not saying any of this to put you off, just to let you know. If you're a confident driver, a trip down south would be well worth it.
Yes Esperance is a little far, especially if solo. Albany is perfectly manageable being as you say a four to five hour drive and an 'interesting' city to visit for a Brit visitor. (the area attracts many Brit's and retires)
The drive down the Albany Highway from Perth is a cinch. Actually little traffic in comparison to the road to Margaret River IMO.

Be a shame to miss. Far prefer to Margaret River myself.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd stay in Perth if it was me. Freo can be a little dodgy at night at times and hardly more life than Perth City these days, which has improved a lot over recent years. I have lived in the centre of Fremantle as well.

We live in Leederville, an inner city suburb, so if you'd like be happy to meet up over a pizza and bottle of wine in this area, only a train stop from the centre. Or can meet in centre. I'd love to hear your Penang experiences as well. As you may recall I lived there for sometime and we had thoughts, perhaps not as strong as in the past to return there.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:45 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

South West Coaches go from Perth to Margaret River. Probably not a bad way to go down there for a few days. Rottnest is great as has been said.
Old May 5th 2016, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes a coach service is available daily to Albany. You could well hire a car there to get about, even if only for a day to reach the attractions too far to reach on foot.

Still a lot can be done walking or on a bicycle. (City or Beach easy reach)
Old May 6th 2016, 12:05 am

This is all great info. thanks very much everyone. You are Stars

I've pretty much ruled out Margaret River for this holiday. I'm retired....I may come back for longer another time and I think would be better if I had a travelling companion. So...another time.

I'm liking the sound of Fremantle though note about dodgy evenings. Anyway that won't apply for me. I am very boring. I have days out then quiet evenings close to hotel (or even in hotel). I am not looking for big nightlife. Just some chill-out days.

I'm going to check out info on Scarborough. That sounds nice. Might even look into Rockingham for a few days. It sounds like one of those kind of places that you either love or hate. I like quiet. It might do.
Old May 6th 2016, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You don't mention how much later in the year your trip will be. It could be a clincher as to whether a room by the beach or one more central would be more ideal.
No worries about meeting up with us it was just a thought as well versed into tourist should do's in Perth. Besides I love to practise my Bahasa, I take it your pretty good with so many years under your belt now in Malaysia. (but speak English just as well)
Old May 6th 2016, 10:30 am

My bahasa is pretty minimal I'm afraid

I'll be going in the latter half of October. Will let you know if I get over to your neck of the woods. Thanks for the offer :-)
Old May 6th 2016, 1:24 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

What's in Rockingham that you want to see? I can't imagine any tourist choosing Rockingham as a destination

If I were putting together an itinerary for you it would look something like this...

Perth metro's northern suburbs. Yanchep has a nice beach with a great lagoon and a very nice national park where you can hike or just have a nice lunch at the hotel.
Hillary's is a real tourist mecca. Lots of tourist type shopping and a nice beach.
Perth City always has something happening (sign up for Weekend Notes Perth edition - it's free)
Rottnest for a day
Fremantle would take a couple of days to see I would guess. There's the prison tour which looks great.

Bus down to Busselton for a few days. Busso is gorgeous! Take a winery tour with Bushtucker for a great day out.

If not Busselton then a bus trip to Albany. I could spend a lot of time there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.