Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday and Business Visa for Australia

Holiday and Business Visa for Australia

Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Holiday and Business Visa for Australia

Hi,
I am travelling on a South African passport, so basically need a visa if I want to talk to an Aussie, never mind think about setting foot there..

However, I am a Pr in NZ, and working for an Aussie company. I have a 5 year multiple entry visa subclass 456 or whatever that means, giving me 3 months entry authorised for business purposes after each arrival.

Ok, am happy with that.

Now, what if I want to go to aussie for a holiday. Do I need to apply for a separate tourist visa? i dont have one at the moment. If so, can't you only hold one visa for Aus at a time, so if I get a tourist visa my business visa expires/ is cancelled? If that is the case it must be the stupidest arrangement yet? Or what if I Transit through an Aussie Airport on my way to South Africa, will I need to get a transit visa and that cancels my business visa? There must be a special place in red-tape heaven for whoever came up with this arrangement if that is indeed the case.

Can anybody tell me if this is the case.........

not an issue but want to know if it is going to become one. Just to make thing really interesting, wife has a tourist visa for Aus, so she can go lie on the beach but I can only attend meetings?

Oh the joy of keeping your nose clean when it comes to immigration.

Bring on my kiwi passport is all I can say, not because i want to go live in Aussie but to not have to deal with this crap.......

Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday and Business Visa for Australia

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Hi,
I am travelling on a South African passport, so basically need a visa if I want to talk to an Aussie, never mind think about setting foot there..

However, I am a Pr in NZ, and working for an Aussie company. I have a 5 year multiple entry visa subclass 456 or whatever that means, giving me 3 months entry authorised for business purposes after each arrival.

Ok, am happy with that.

Now, what if I want to go to aussie for a holiday. Do I need to apply for a separate tourist visa? i dont have one at the moment. If so, can't you only hold one visa for Aus at a time, so if I get a tourist visa my business visa expires/ is cancelled? If that is the case it must be the stupidest arrangement yet? Or what if I Transit through an Aussie Airport on my way to South Africa, will I need to get a transit visa and that cancels my business visa? There must be a special place in red-tape heaven for whoever came up with this arrangement if that is indeed the case.
It's a good question. My feeling is that the answer should be 'no' in that you can visit/transit Australia using your 456 visa.

However, I'm not sure where one can find an answer saying definitely yes or no - have you tried writing to the Australian Consulate General in Auckland?

It's correct that you can't hold a tourist visa and a 456 simultaneously.

I suggest asking this question on the immigration forum.

Bring on my kiwi passport is all I can say, not because i want to go live in Aussie but to not have to deal with this crap.......

The 3 year residence requirement for NZ citizenship probably still applies to you, as you would likely have applied for PR before 21 April 2005.

If you want to keep your South African citizenship (not everyone does) you need to get permission in advance from the South African government. Not usually a problem as long as the fee is paid, as far as I know.

Jeremy
Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Holiday and Business Visa for Australia

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's a good question. My feeling is that the answer should be 'no' in that you can visit/transit Australia using your 456 visa.

However, I'm not sure where one can find an answer saying definitely yes or no - have you tried writing to the Australian Consulate General in Auckland?

It's correct that you can't hold a tourist visa and a 456 simultaneously.

I suggest asking this question on the immigration forum.

The 3 year residence requirement for NZ citizenship probably still applies to you, as you would likely have applied for PR before 21 April 2005.

If you want to keep your South African citizenship (not everyone does) you need to get permission in advance from the South African government. Not usually a problem as long as the fee is paid, as far as I know.

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy
Yes the three year rule still applies to me, I get my three years in Feb 2006. I know about the form to apply to keep your SA Cit, never heard of anyone doing it so I dont know if its likely to be refused/ accepted. Not that Im all that worried about keeping it if I do have to choose.