Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Holiday: Arriving earlier than checkin - any ideas?

Holiday: Arriving earlier than checkin - any ideas?

Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

AvronW is on a distinguished road
Default Holiday: Arriving earlier than checkin - any ideas?

So, you go for a visit, get there nackered after a long flight, but the hotel/apartment checkin is much later. What do you do with a tired and grumpy family?

Try arrange an early check-in? What are the options and experiences?

I'm sure with so many flights getting to Australia in the early hours of the morning and typical check-in times being noon or later, this must have been encountered before.

Thanks,
Avron.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 10:29 am
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Holiday: Arriving earlier than checkin - any ideas?

Avron
as you say contact the appartment owners/ hotel and ask for an early check in assuming it is not high season this is usually acomodated. My brother works at Medina apartments and he says this is a common request and can be done you just need to ask nicely.....

Gary / Terri
Old Mar 16th 2004, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

anypan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday: Arriving earlier than checkin - any ideas?

Like you are check is 00.20hrs so we thought we'd book an extra night in the hotel.
We didn't know what else to do either that or spend the rest of the night & day with 2 very grumpy kids in the airport.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 5:04 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

When we arrived in Christchurch we dumped our things at the motel and immediately went off on a tourist bus tour of the city and environs. Cheesy but the idea was to stay awake long enough to help ward off the evil lag and get a fix on the place. Seemed to work quite well.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

I will be arriving in the Gold Coast on Sat Night, landing in Brisbane Airport at 10pm so I know it will be nearer midnight by the time I reach my apartments in Surfers Paradise, I just asked the manager for a late check in which was no problem at all! only problem will be dealing with 2 very grumpy small children!!!!

Lisa
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by floweroscotland
I will be arriving in the Gold Coast on Sat Night, landing in Brisbane Airport at 10pm so I know it will be nearer midnight by the time I reach my apartments in Surfers Paradise, I just asked the manager for a late check in which was no problem at all! only problem will be dealing with 2 very grumpy small children!!!!

Lisa
Lisa have a great flight. Where are you staying in Surfers?
Old Mar 16th 2004, 6:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
When we arrived in Christchurch we dumped our things at the motel and immediately went off on a tourist bus tour of the city and environs. Cheesy but the idea was to stay awake long enough to help ward off the evil lag and get a fix on the place. Seemed to work quite well.
Yep, that's how we do it too!

Like after a night in the bus from Denham to Port Hedland (14 hours arrived at 10 am) and Brisbane to Sydney (16,5 hours)!!!

Though, we had no kids! But kids must sleep some of the flight, right????

If you go to bed in the morning, that's the perfect recipe for jet lag!

The trick is, to already reset your watch when you get on the plane, and so get used to the new time as soon as possible!
I've never had jet lag....
Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

colinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant futurecolinmorgan has a brilliant future

Last month we arrived in Surfers 4 hrs before check in with no problems.

Staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Good luck.