Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hep B jabs for kids?

Hep B jabs for kids?

Old Mar 14th 2004, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice
Default Hep B jabs for kids?

Hi,

Mrs Dog wants me to ask, do the kids need Hep B jabs before we go?

Cheers.
Old Mar 14th 2004, 8:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hep B jabs for kids?

Originally posted by Sydney The Dog
Hi,

Mrs Dog wants me to ask, do the kids need Hep B jabs before we go?

Cheers.
Why should they?
The risks of contracting Hep B are the same in the UK as in Australia.They are not done routinely here.
Hep B is caught from 'handling' Bodily fluids.Usually through sexual activity or in healthcare procedures or by injecting drugs with contaminated needles
Not necessary for kids.
Hep A may be useful if you are stopping over in the far east as that can be caught through contaminated food or drink.

G
Old Mar 14th 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I'd say no. However, my 12 year old daughter had a Hep B jab with her other routine ones here last year. None of the rest of us have had it & it wasn't a problem for my son who is 8, when he started school over here.

Loopy
Old Mar 15th 2004, 12:13 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi,
im a practice nurse here and was in the uk too.
children here in oz routinely have hep b vaccines in with the usual ones that uk children would have, ie whooping cough, tetanus, diptheria,hib polio, mmr, menc etc etc. the kids in yr 7 here in oz at the moment who didnt have hep b with baby imms will have it...2 doses 6 months apart.
i have had the vaccine due to my profession, my hubby and kids hadnt had it as the previous poster says because its caught through contact with body fluids or contaminated instruments.
Old Mar 15th 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya

my son had to have his Hep B jabs here before they would let him attend daycare kindy, the jabs they have in the UK aren't considered "complete" enough for them. And apparently they issue an up to date certificate for them once he's had his final MMR jab shortly to show at school.

love sophia x
Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter came home with a consent form last year when she was 12, for the Hep B jabs along with the booster jabs. They also provided a detailed leaflet about why you might need Hep B, and I checked on the UK NHS website for further details, as I didn't think it was routine in the UK. I ticked the box for the booster jabs, but declined consent for Hep B as I didn't think it was necessary. On the day of the jabs I reminded my daughter not to have the Hep B one and I got a phone call from the school nurse querying whether I had made a mistake on the consent form! No mistake I replied, I perfectly understood the information I was given, and chose not to consent. Hope I made the right decision, if she decides to become a nurse later in life then she can always get herself vaccinated, and I'd like to believe that she won't be mixing with the type of scum who would pass on Hep B and other diseases.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really niceSydney The Dog is just really nice

What about Mosquito's, is there any risk???
Old Mar 16th 2004, 8:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sydney The Dog
What about Mosquito's, is there any risk???
Not in Australia.You will get bitten but only a few diseases.Some are nasty but you can't do anything about it.No Malaria but some nasties depending on where you live.
Need anti malarials if you stopover in some countries but mostly OK.Check with your Doctor.
really only a problem away from cities or coasts in some far East countries.No problem on short stopovers in cities.

G