Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

High school age ????

High school age ????

Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Question High school age ????

How does the school year work in WA???

My daughter will be 12 December and i thought she had another year to do in primary school but i've just looked at a chart on another website and because she is 13 next year she'll go into year 8

Can someone confirm which one is right

Thank you
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High school age ????

Originally Posted by bev1

My daughter will be 12 December and i thought she had another year to do in primary school but i've just looked at a chart on another website and because she is 13 next year she'll go into year 8

Thank you
My daughter is 13 in Jan so will be year 8. She has an extra term to do in year 7 as schools years start in Jan rather than Sept as over here. Your daughter should go to year 7 if she goes now and would be one of the youngest there.
Caroline
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice

So If we went now she'd go into year 7?? and would she then start year 8 in feb???
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

So If we went now she'd go into year 7?? and would she then start year 8 in feb???
I think so, but I'm not an Australian, this is just how I read all the info I have gathered so far.
Caroline
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you
Old Jun 5th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Thank you
My daughters was 12 in the December when we came over. We were given the choice to put her in year 7 or year 8. We choose year 7 as that was what she was in in the U.K. She is now 13 and in year 8 in high school. In year 7 she was one of the oldest in her class but now there seems to be a lot the same age. When I have asked her if she would have preferred be a year higher she says no as she would have been one of the youngest in class and she wouldn't like that.
A lot of the high schools have started taking kids from year 7 now. It is supposed to become standard over the next few years. So if you send your daughter to one of these schools she will be in highschool regardless.
Tracie
Old Jun 6th 2008, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

From my own experience as a kid I would say put her into year 7. When my family moved to WA they had a choice to put me into Year 7 or Year 8, They picked Year 8 which was not a good thing, mainly because it was already half way into the year and everyone had all made their new high school buddies and all formed groups etc.

If you put your daughter into Year 7, it means she will make friends and then they will all start High School together and be going through the same situation of being new to High School etc etc.

It’s daunting enough starting a new school in a new country, if you place her in year 7 it’s only primary school, so easier to get into as you’re in the 1 class etc, compared to being thrown into a new high school, starting on your own with about 8 different classes.

I hope that makes sense?

Mikey
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

I will start her in year 7 and she can start yr 8 in Feb, I've been thinking for months that she will start yr7 in feb and thats what I've been telling her....

She is not very happy with me !!
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

Just be warned Year 6 will be the last year in Primary well at least it will from the end of this year where my 2 are going to school. So if this happens one way or the other she will be starting in High School. Don't know if this applies to all schools.

Sandra