Hi people !

Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

lisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nice
Default Hi people !

I am coming to Sydney in November for approximate 15 months with my family. This consists of hubby and 3 children aged 18, 16 and 12. We are having a total lifestyle change for a while and hope to show the kids that there is a whole new world out there. Our daughter will be going to school and she is so looking forward to meeting new friends. My husband is hoping to open up a business but that depends on the visa coming through ! We are busy finalizing our plans and packing up. Would be interested to find out what people missed from home most of all ie food toiletries, gadgets etc . I would like to stock up with as much as possible as I am quite particular about certain things ! Am happy to embrace the Aussie life, but a few creature comforts from home may stem the home sickness a bit. Am really worried about making friends as the children are older now, don't really expect to be standing in the school yard and everyone will have established friendships already. I have an amazing group of friends here and don't want to be "Billy no mates" in Oz.

Any thoughts, comments gratefully received.

X
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi people !

Hi and welcome

We dont miss much in the way of masterial things ass nearly everything can be bought here that you can get in the UK - except for beer which i do miss!

But be aware things are still different and a lot of things are very expensive such as cloths. We loved living in Sydney and found the people very friendly. Far more so than in the west and i am sure you will make friends.

Best of luck and enjoy the adventure
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Tellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really niceTellyaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisarun
I am coming to Sydney in November for approximate 15 months with my family. This consists of hubby and 3 children aged 18, 16 and 12. We are having a total lifestyle change for a while and hope to show the kids that there is a whole new world out there. Our daughter will be going to school and she is so looking forward to meeting new friends. My husband is hoping to open up a business but that depends on the visa coming through ! We are busy finalizing our plans and packing up. Would be interested to find out what people missed from home most of all ie food toiletries, gadgets etc . I would like to stock up with as much as possible as I am quite particular about certain things ! Am happy to embrace the Aussie life, but a few creature comforts from home may stem the home sickness a bit. Am really worried about making friends as the children are older now, don't really expect to be standing in the school yard and everyone will have established friendships already. I have an amazing group of friends here and don't want to be "Billy no mates" in Oz.

X
You can get most things here or very similar - the only thing we really miss is Bisto gravy (which we can get from 1 shop but is really expensive), Shreddies (which we cannot find) and at first my mum used to send us Walkers Crisps but we have got over that now lol.

Good luck with your move
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:56 am
Just Joined

lisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nicelisarun is just really nice

Originally Posted by NiknAid
You can get most things here or very similar - the only thing we really miss is Bisto gravy (which we can get from 1 shop but is really expensive), Shreddies (which we cannot find) and at first my mum used to send us Walkers Crisps but we have got over that now lol.

Good luck with your move
Thanks for that, I am very sad and have been on line looking at food prices and would you believe that bisto stood out as it was double the price ( my kids love it).

Thanks
Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I love my UK cookery books, so that I can make things that I can't buy here (some ingredients, though, just aren't available). On our recent trip over, I stocked up on stuff from Boots, as toiletries tend to be more expensive and there is less choice (at least in Perth).

If your kids get involved in sport, you will get to know lots of people, as you will through rosters at school, or sharing mum's taxi duties.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 10:11 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NiknAid

Good luck with your move
Bisto gravy!! You gotta be joking right?? If that crap is the only thing you miss then I would say make your own and get tasting proper gravy and not that artificial crap.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Hi people !

whoa, another man talking about people not making real gravy. Have whatever gravy you like. even the artificial stuff. I make mine extra thick and yummy.

I am also worried about being the new mum at school, I know my son will be fine.

i think I will miss sausages (my husband says they are just not the same), English Fosters, and my family (in that order)
Old Aug 28th 2010, 8:33 pm
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Yeah and I can cook too...hold the phone!!!
Jeesus ghost, you are going half way around the world to a new country and all you can think off is missing gravy or sausages. Flippin heck, guess what you may gain some new culinary delights whilst out there. If you let go of good ol blighty for 5 min.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Hi people !

I am looking forward to trying a myriad of new things, but I am sure at times I shall miss the basic things that remind me of where I come from and grew up with.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 11:18 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisarun

X
Hi

If you are particular about any of your toiletries/skin/haircare products I would suggest you bring plenty with you.

I'm sure you will find an alternative in time but you have so many other things to find/sort/organise you just don't have the time and energy.

Also, I've found all toiletries to be far more expensive here than what I was used to paying in the UK (homebargains rock!!!!) LOL!!

Good Luck with your adventure
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:13 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

would be good to have an idea of where you wish to stay, the area etc. before worrying about being Billy No Mates...there are so many people on the forum that I feel sure someone will be close by to help you settle in...I'm in the Hills area
If you feel like a chat just let me know by pm
K x
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say welcome aboard ! dont be shy, feel free to post any questions you have and we will all try to help answer them.

Good luck I hope it goes well
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Have to agree on the sausages front.

Bring plenty of Marmite, then you can send a jar to me! You can get it here but very expensive. The Australian alternative, Vegemite, tastes like Marmite would taste like if it ever went off.

Good luck!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies, great help (most of them). Hubby coming over in a couple of weeks to sort house and schools out. Looking at the Northern suburbs mostly, thought of castle hill originally . Once he's back will know where I'm heading. Thanks