Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

should he stay or should he go?

should he stay or should he go?

Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

caza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should he stay or should he go?

Should my husband stay with me and our 2 daughters , and go as a family or should he go out a few weeks before , and get car,house and job sorted ?
We are going to Melbourne, any ideas where to stay,good schools and work?
Am a chef and my husbands a carpenter.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:36 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should he stay or should he go?

Hi Caza and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including...... can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I'm not qualified to answer your question - mainly because I emigrated on my own to join my Aussie wife to be! It's probably just personal choice but I'm sure some good (and varied) advice will be along soon!

Best of luck to you.

Alistair.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caza
Should my husband stay with me and our 2 daughters , and go as a family or should he go out a few weeks before , and get car,house and job sorted ?
hi think you should go as a family, then any problems you can deal with together, rather than you go one month later,and every thing is done
going together you will bond more, your husband might decide something and you don't agree then you start off your new life,in a huff

go as a family every time
Old Aug 30th 2010, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

thanks for the welcome and the start of the good advice......hope there's more to follow.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by concretepump
hi think you should go as a family, then any problems you can deal with together, rather than you go one month later,and every thing is done
going together you will bond more, your husband might decide something and you don't agree then you start off your new life,in a huff

go as a family every time
Hi Caza

Welcome I agree with the above - all go together Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:27 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: should he stay or should he go?

Where to stay in Melbourne very much depends on your budget and what lifestyle you are looking for. Are you looking for a city lifestyle, beach lifestyle, suburban or acreage lifestyle. Do you need 2 bedrooms, 3 bedrooms etc? Is your budget for a house $500,000, $750,000, $1 million?

If you could narrow down what you're looking for we'd be able to give more useful advice.

Good choice of city btw - fantastic lifestyle here!

BB
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

When we was making the move in 06 my husband was going to come out before us and sort everything out and i was to stay at home to sort and sell the house but when the visa came through we decided this was a journey and we was meant to go as a family and experience it all together so we got our mums to sort the sale of the house which took about a year in the end so if i had stayed in the uk it would of been months till i got to go aus.
Its up to you and whats best for you all but if it was me i am so glad i got to go with my husband at the same time
Good Luck

Last edited by LINZI; Aug 30th 2010 at 10:49 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

We've done a few moves in the past.

UK-Bahamas, I went first, wife and daughter followed. Was OK.

Bahamas-Netherlands, my wife went first and bought two cars and a house! I had to stay on a few weeks due to problems where I was working. It was very hard on my wife, and also I felt a bit left out, so it didn't work for either of us.

Subsequent moves: Netherlands-Ireland, and finally to Australia, all went together and enjoyed the adventure together!

So I agree with the other posters; try and plan it that you all move across at the same time.

And good luck, you're coming to a great country.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:17 am
Just Joined

some good advice coming in.thanks everyone.
we can't decide to go for a city life style, we went to validate 2 years ago and stayed in south yarra, loved it , but it's very expensive.Or stay in the country , we fell in love with Lorne , but a bit too quiet.
we're not selling our house , so , our budget is £20,000.
renting to start off with until we have know where we want to buy,then we will sell house in Scotland.

Last edited by caza; Aug 31st 2010 at 8:19 am. Reason: spell check
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: should he stay or should he go?

we're not selling our house , so , our budget is £20,000.
renting to start off with until we have know where we want to buy,then we will sell house in Scotland.
What is the 20,000 for? Is is for rent until you buy, if so, over what period? That sum would buy you about 15 months rent in my area at a rough figure of 1.5:1 for conversion and $2000 / month rent for a 3 bed house.

BB
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:50 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

or should he go out a few weeks before , and get car,house and job sorted ?
Good luck with that!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

the money is to get us started once we get there, so, that means rent/6 months, car/old runarun and living/food etc.then hopefully we will get work and wages will pay for everything then.
lifestyle...close to beach and the city/Melbourne.
anyone recommend accommodation on arrival/nice area.
cheers.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Caza. My OH flew out a week today. Myself and our two boys aged 8 and 5 will follow when the house goes through, Hopefully in the next 6 weeks. We really did not want to be in this situation and wanted to all go together to start our new life, However the OH had to start work Monday (just gone).
I have lots of family around me, my mum has been amazing. It has only been a week but i have had lots of tears already and wish i was there. Not sure of an exchange date yet so cant get shippers in just yet or book flights .
The choice is obviously yours, I personally wish i was with my OH and am finding it bloody hard being left with kids, house, life in general!
Good luck at whatever you decide to do!
Emma x
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

hi emma.sounds like it's a stressful time but it will be worth it once you are all together.i think we have came to a decision, and we are all going to go together.
We have also decided to look at Torquey or Lorne for rental properties.
good luck with the packing.
Are you sorted for house and schools?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Being cautious types, at one point my husband and I discussed whether one of us would go ahead and look for work whilst the other stayed behind and we always had one income coming in. In particular we thought this when job markets were looking very flat.

But other than this, I can't think of any reason to move out separately. We moved out in July but a few days apart (I had a job lined up and had to start work). I am even a little sad that my first few days here were by myself, it would have been nice to fly out together and spend that first day together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.