Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hi All, wanted to say hi and ask my first question.....

Hi All, wanted to say hi and ask my first question.....

Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Mrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really niceMrs MH is just really nice
Default Hi All, wanted to say hi and ask my first question.....

Is it realistic to think about setting up a business in Aus?
We currently run a small building company in the lake district, but have been toying with the idea of moving out to australia and starting from scratch again out there? it seems like a scary prospect, but we have friends that have gone out there on monthly visas and they have all reported back that there is plenty of work. They are in the Perth area, but having read this forum for a while the house prices out there worry me a little...
Oh its all a little scary, and I have to mention that we are just at the very beginning of this daunting process...Its been an idea for a while now, but we are just starting to look into it seriously now. Any replies would be really appreciated.
Thanks all, and what a great forum, it's jam packed with really good info
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:14 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi All, wanted to say hi and ask my first question.....

Originally Posted by Mrs MH
Is it realistic to think about setting up a business in Aus?
We currently run a small building company in the lake district, but have been toying with the idea of moving out to australia and starting from scratch again out there? it seems like a scary prospect, but we have friends that have gone out there on monthly visas and they have all reported back that there is plenty of work. They are in the Perth area, but having read this forum for a while the house prices out there worry me a little...
Oh its all a little scary, and I have to mention that we are just at the very beginning of this daunting process...Its been an idea for a while now, but we are just starting to look into it seriously now. Any replies would be really appreciated.
Thanks all, and what a great forum, it's jam packed with really good info

my opinion for whats its worth

you should give it a shot ifyou dont ten years down the road you`ll be
what if ing

good luck whichever way you jump

regards steve
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:49 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Although I / we don't have any experience of running a business, i think that you need drive and ambition to do that, and if you are sucessful in the UK then there is no reason why you won't be over here. You must be good at what you do, go for it i would say....
Perth house prices are on the way down, we have been watching the housing market since we arrived, this was the one and only dissapointment of our move here, but the prices are definately holding, of the many home opens that we have been to the agents all say the owners are open to offers, a totally different story to 6 months ago,, so although its a huge step, you have the experience and obviously the drive to succeed, go for it, its a rollercoaster with many dips and turns, but the thrill is fantastic when you land here, its beautiful.
When your in the winter of your life, lying in bed, in rainy UK, you'll look back and regret not giving it a go, you only regret what you don't do in life, not what you have tried doing...

Steve 'o we have sent you a pm....!
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, sorry I can not answer your question directly but just wanted to say welcome and good luck
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

T Bag is just really niceT Bag is just really niceT Bag is just really niceT Bag is just really niceT Bag is just really niceT Bag is just really niceT Bag is just really niceT Bag is just really nice

Originally Posted by grahampaula
Hi there, sorry I can not answer your question directly but just wanted to say welcome and good luck
Hi there

You need a piece of paper (licence) for everything in Australia. You MAY need a licence to physically work as a 'builder', you MAY need a licence (or find someone with a Supervisors's licence) to inspect and pass your work, and you MAY need a licence to set up a building business/company. All these are required in SA anyway so I can't see other places being any different. You need to check all these thing out before you start as they don't tell you these things beforehand. It's only when you get there and can't work that you find you need to get experience before you are able to get a licence. You can work for someone else though as a 'proper' employee.

Good luck.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

Now I am not an expert at anything but, if you get a visa on the basis you are starting a business out there then you need to fill certain criteria, one of which is an anual turnover of 70k (it was a couple of years ago it might have changed) and the other is you need to employ at least two Aussies.

Now if you need to have a license, and you probably will, to be a builder then you might be able to hire the relevant employees with said licenses and sit in the back ground and just be a boss.