Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hevs and HUP update. The godd, the bad, and the ugly.

Hevs and HUP update. The godd, the bad, and the ugly.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Hi mrs DB, good to see you too

He doesn't have "behavioural problems" He can't sit still for too long is all.

We are off to see a behavioural opthalmist (eye behaviour!! ) and then hopefully i'll know more then....
Hevs - Hopefully the optomitrists - or opthalmist - will give you eye exercises to do to strengthen the eyes and control the eye movements.

Glad the links were useful- will try to find the research sites for you re eye movement.
H
Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:49 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think they'll give me excercises to gain the strength to pin him down for long enough to do said excersises
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think they'll give me excercises to gain the strength to pin him down for long enough to do said excersises
should think you're strong enough already after all that wood cutting!
bribery and star charts worked for our 2! oh yes and" if you don't do the exercises you might have to wear coloured lensed glasses to school" that one worked a treat! am I a mean mother or what?
Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:08 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 12th 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

you're up early hevs-no lay in bed on this sunday morning?

I'm off to bed....
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:52 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Hevs, don't know if it helps....my brother is dyslexic. He was born with a fantastically awful squint and had to have a lot of surgery to correct it. Even now he's a strapping 29 year old, he still has a bit of a cross-eyed squinting thing going on as well as being very long-sighted (I'm painting a great picture of him, aren't I?!).

Anyway, point is, he has always had problems with his eyes and it has been suggested that this may have led to his problems with reading etc because not only can he not see the wprds properly, he can't make the bend into any kind of meaningful shape, as he describes it. While he was learning to read at school (and he didn't start reading until he was 8), he was given lots of different coloured transparent sheets to read through. When he reads through a green tint, he can read a lot better - this is basically how he learnt to read at all.

Now he's a grown man, he very rarely reads print or writes - he does everything on the computer, which he finds much easier (requires different wiring).
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:08 am
High in the Dandenongs

Thanks Bundy, every little helps

He has no problems with his 20 20 vision and no visable squint, but when he is trying to read he rubbs his eyes contiually, so somethings obviously worrying him

Roll on the 2nd of july
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:12 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

He has no problems with his 20 20 vision and no visable squint, but when he is trying to read he rubbs his eyes contiually, so somethings obviously worrying him

Roll on the 2nd of july

Well, it could be the colour and font of the print he is reading. What works best for dyslexics (I know your son isn't, at the moment) is at least 14pt Microsoft San Serif or Arial on pale yellow paper, left-aligned (ie not justified text). This is I've been advised by our Disability Resource Centre. Might be worth giving it a go. Nothing wrong with a dyslexic's eyesight, after all, just the way the brain interprets what the eye sees.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:12 am
She's a bird, you know

Roll on the 2nd of july

Well, it could be the colour and font of the print he is reading. What works best for dyslexics (I know your son isn't, at the moment) is at least 14pt Microsoft San Serif or Arial on pale yellow paper, left-aligned (ie not justified text). This is I've been advised by our Disability Resource Centre. Might be worth giving it a go. Nothing wrong with a dyslexic's eyesight, after all, just the way the brain interprets what the eye sees.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi mrs DB, good to see you too

He doesn't have "behavioural problems" He can't sit still for too long is all.

We are off to see a behavioural opthalmist (eye behaviour!! ) and then hopefully i'll know more then....
Hevs
He sounds so much like my little girl. She cant keep still for five minutes! They did want her to have ritalin but my own paeditrician said he though that it would be wrong for us tp give it to her.

Now what I want to know is can you get eye q down under yet?

Take care
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bundy
Bundy yes I can agree with this.
when I prepared work sheets for my pupils we had to use coloured paper and comic sans type. The colour might be personal to the child but its more that the eye sees the print better on coloured paper. Its the same with the pc . if I can't change the background I'll change the type colour when I'm emailing people -its easier on the eyes.

Also you mentioned your brother using coloured transparent sheets - my own kids started with these but its not practical for writing exercises and they soon got fed up with using them. My son is taking his A2 exams right now and I'm so proud of him - he has the ability, but the processing that goes on when reading and writing notes up or write essays still makes it very hard work for him.
Lets just hope the Aussie optomitrist will give Hevs son lots of lovely eye exercises - H.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:26 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by helinuk
Bundy yes I can agree with this.
when I prepared work sheets for my pupils we had to use coloured paper and comic sans type. The colour might be personal to the child but its more that the eye sees the print better on coloured paper. Its the same with the pc . if I can't change the background I'll change the type colour when I'm emailing people -its easier on the eyes.

Also you mentioned your brother using coloured transparent sheets - my own kids started with these but its not practical for writing exercises and they soon got fed up with using them. My son is taking his A2 exams right now and I'm so proud of him - he has the ability, but the processing that goes on when reading and writing notes up or write essays still makes it very hard work for him.
Lets just hope the Aussie optomitrist will give Hevs son lots of lovely eye exercises - H.
It's strange, isn't it? Those of us that can read and write perfectly well take it for granted. Mind you, I cannot read red writing. I'm not colour blind, I just simply cannot read a lot of red writing, either on paper, or on a computer screen.

Incidentally, my brother (dyslexic) now runs his own business as a lighting designer, has contracts with the likes of British Aerospace and British American Racing (for the launches of new planes, racing cars etc) and has just spent 3 weeks cruising the Med doing something for Zurich Insurance. And he doesn't have Maths or English GSCE. So it just goes to show that having a condition like dyslexia doesn't need to limit you.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bundy
It's strange, isn't it? Those of us that can read and write perfectly well take it for granted. Mind you, I cannot read red writing. I'm not colour blind, I just simply cannot read a lot of red writing, either on paper, or on a computer screen.

Incidentally, my brother (dyslexic) now runs his own business as a lighting designer, has contracts with the likes of British Aerospace and British American Racing (for the launches of new planes, racing cars etc) and has just spent 3 weeks cruising the Med doing something for Zurich Insurance. And he doesn't have Maths or English GSCE. So it just goes to show that having a condition like dyslexia doesn't need to limit you.
That is a wonderful example of determination Bundy! As members of BDA I have often shown my 2 kids the stories of those who have achieved. One of my daughter's teachers used to say to her "there's no such word as can't" and she has never forgotten it. She is so determined to get to her goal!
OH my, you've got me on my pet subject! Better stop or I'll be thrown off for hijacking Hevs thread
Old Jun 16th 2004, 7:25 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by helinuk
That is a wonderful example of determination Bundy! As members of BDA I have often shown my 2 kids the stories of those who have achieved. One of my daughter's teachers used to say to her "there's no such word as can't" and she has never forgotten it. She is so determined to get to her goal!
OH my, you've got me on my pet subject! Better stop or I'll be thrown off for hijacking Hevs thread

Whereas my brother's most hated teacher used to say 'you can't do this, you can't do that' which made him all the more determined to go right ahead and do those things!