Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Here's how to open Aus Bank acc from UK in 5 days

Here's how to open Aus Bank acc from UK in 5 days

Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of
Default Here's how to open Aus Bank acc from UK in 5 days

Hi,

Read a lot of threads on how to do this, and researched a bit. Then spoke to my excellent agent, Annie at Global Visas and wished I had done that immediately.

Westpac have an office over here, with a chap called Anthony working in the migrant Banking office. You ring him (pm me for his number), he emails you a form, you sign and fax back and you get a savings and current account in 2-4 days. You dont need any id at all, you do all that when you get there. You cant withdraw until you have done the id thing, but you can deposit all you like.

Better still, they give you a better interest rate on your savings than they do resident Aussies, to win your business, and they were competitive even before that.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here's how to open Aus Bank acc from UK in 5 days

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Hi,

Read a lot of threads on how to do this, and researched a bit. Then spoke to my excellent agent, Annie at Global Visas and wished I had done that immediately.

Westpac have an office over here, with a chap called Anthony working in the migrant Banking office. You ring him (pm me for his number), he emails you a form, you sign and fax back and you get a savings and current account in 2-4 days. You dont need any id at all, you do all that when you get there. You cant withdraw until you have done the id thing, but you can deposit all you like.

Better still, they give you a better interest rate on your savings than they do resident Aussies, to win your business, and they were competitive even before that.
what interest rate did they quote you?

better still....phone ANZ....10 mins later...you have a ABN, Swift code.
No forms or anything!

TC
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

Can you post the number etc for ANZ ?

I am waiting on the details, but it was 5.55% for Aus customers, so it will be over that.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Can you post the number etc for ANZ ?

I am waiting on the details, but it was 5.55% for Aus customers, so it will be over that.
Here ya go. Double check with them as to if/when they start charging an account maintenance fee.

http://www.anz.com.au/aus/contact/default.asp

TC
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
what interest rate did they quote you?
6.05% paid quarterlty so long as you make no withdrawls, which is fine by us
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

6.05% paid quarterlty so long as you make no withdrawls, which is fine by us
Sorry to sound like a total idiot, but I haven't ever paid much attention to interest rates and so on at banks before...
Anyway, you've said that they pay 6.05% quarterly as long as there's no withdrawals? Does this mean if for talking sake, you put £100,000 in an Oz bank that every quarter you'd receive 6.05% of that? Surely not? That seems soooo high. I mean that's £6000 a quarter? Or am I totally missing something here. Help me oh wise financial people, normally I just spend the money I have and don't have time to think about interest rates etc. LOL.
Thanks!
Tracy
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

No, the interest is paid quartely, but the % is for the year.

I've read a bit more now, and it is paid monthly on the acc I am having, not quarterly.