Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Heres the 10 year exchange rate data

Heres the 10 year exchange rate data

Old May 25th 2006, 7:11 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Heres the 10 year exchange rate data

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
$ seems to be dropping now...Bugger it. We are waiting for word from our solicitors for the exchange of contracts so that we can agree a deal with OzForex.

I figure that so far we have lost over $5k in 2 days.

Solicitors arent worth a bucket of piss.....
why didn't you do a forward contract with them and secure the rate as it is at the moment with a deposit and pay the rest when the house completes. we've just gone through our lower limit and brought at $2.45.
the advise was that it is probable going down rather than up now.

now where's my crystal ball
Old May 25th 2006, 8:05 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparks124
why didn't you do a forward contract with them and secure the rate as it is at the moment with a deposit and pay the rest when the house completes. we've just gone through our lower limit and brought at $2.45.
the advise was that it is probable going down rather than up now.

now where's my crystal ball
Quite simply because our buyers may still potentially pull out leaving us with a huge amount to settle without the means to settle it.
Old May 25th 2006, 10:45 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

Quite simply because our buyers may still potentially pull out leaving us with a huge amount to settle without the means to settle it.
you could have six months plus to find the rest of the balance, all you need to find now is the 10% deposit.
Old May 25th 2006, 11:10 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparks124
you could have six months plus to find the rest of the balance, all you need to find now is the 10% deposit.
6 months doesn't guarantee a house sale though. It's a very big risk. My own solicitor and Matt at OzForex advised us to sit-tight until we exchange. I have to agree with him

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; May 25th 2006 at 11:27 pm. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old May 25th 2006, 11:57 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

$ seems to be dropping now...

It's easy to look at it that way, but, you can't 'lose' what you never had.

Big.
Old May 26th 2006, 12:13 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

6 months doesn't guarantee a house sale though. It's a very big risk. My own solicitor and Matt at OzForex advised us to sit-tight until we exchange. I have to agree with him
DunRoaming, the contract completion date on a forward transfer can be pushed back indefinately at no penalty but not bought forward. As has been said the only loss to you would be the 10% up front that you wouldn't be earning interest on.
Old May 27th 2006, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

kaydave is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you please send the zip file again as it says it is corrupted when we try to open it.

Thank you

David & Kay

Originally Posted by arkon
After a bit of debate on another thread I thought I'd update and make my
data public. Attatched is a 10 year history of Pound versus Aus Dollar.
Included is an excel file and a CSV for those that don't have excel.

I have run a through sums through it and in summary for those without excel:-

from 1/5/96 to 1/5/2006 Total 3655 days

10 year average = 2.4918
10 year median = 2.518
Days above 2.5 = 1938 or 53% of the time
Days below 2.45 = 1411 or 39% of the time
Days below 2.35 = 773 or 21% of the time

In general it has spend time alot higher in the recent past 5 years
than the previous 5 years.

For those currently sweating out the do I don't I exchange phenomena
all I would say is if the rate as of now would get you what you need and want
in australia then by being greedy you run the risk of it dropping. As I said on another thread the Bankwest currently gives 6.4% on balances up to a million
so thats $64000 Pa in interest. How many points increase would the exchange rate have to shift by to give you this amount extra?
Old May 27th 2006, 8:33 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

$ seems to be dropping now...Bugger it. We are waiting for word from our solicitors for the exchange of contracts so that we can agree a deal with OzForex.

Solicitors arent worth a bucket of piss.....
You can't lose what you never had. I know what your going through, been there and I lost a theoretical $30k!
Old May 27th 2006, 8:36 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by kaydave
Could you please send the zip file again as it says it is corrupted when we try to open it.

Thank you

David & Kay
No problem. it uses winzip 8.0 so that might be the problem. If it doesnt open, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you that way. The forum won't let me upload .xls or .csv files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
rates.zip (78.8 KB, 33 views)