Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Business advice ...

Business advice ...

Old May 26th 2006, 8:32 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Business advice ...

I've discovered a huge gap in the market here and I've been researching to fill it by importing said items from the UK to Australia and selling both via a website and also through retail stores.

Can anyone advise me where I look regarding import taxes and other such business expenses which I may have to consider?

Also, is there some sort of website you could recommend that I can go to to find out about starting a business in Australia?

Thank you!
Old May 26th 2006, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Business advice ...

Originally Posted by iPom
I've discovered a huge gap in the market here and I've been researching to fill it by importing said items from the UK to Australia and selling both via a website and also through retail stores.

Can anyone advise me where I look regarding import taxes and other such business expenses which I may have to consider?

Also, is there some sort of website you could recommend that I can go to to find out about starting a business in Australia?

Thank you!
Try these people ... NSW Small Business
Not used them yet but they are a mine of information. We have some ideas of our own for when we come over (tourism related).

I suppose it would be cheeky to ask you what the gap in the market is?
Old May 26th 2006, 9:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Britishaussie

I suppose it would be cheeky to ask you what the gap in the market is?

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. (It's actually surprisingly simple and obvious and if this takes off, I'll let you know. )

Thank you for the link.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you. (It's actually surprisingly simple and obvious and if this takes off, I'll let you know. )

Thank you for the link.
Go on then tell us, is it Banana's or Lettuce
Old May 26th 2006, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WendyC
Go on then tell us, is it Banana's or Lettuce

LOL - nothing edible.

(This isn't 20 questions, Wendy. )
Old May 26th 2006, 10:21 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

LOL - nothing edible.

(This isn't 20 questions, Wendy. )
Would it be decent childrens clothes? or sleeping bags?

Kiwi
Old May 26th 2006, 10:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thebears
Would it be decent childrens clothes? or sleeping bags?

Kiwi

LOL... well, there are two other gaps but not mine.
Old May 26th 2006, 10:34 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL... well, there are two other gaps but not mine.
Is it Pommy bar stewards ?
Old May 26th 2006, 10:39 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Is it electric blankets?
Old May 26th 2006, 10:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Is it electric blankets?

RetraVision, Target, KMart....

Please stop now.

Any further import export tax duties hints greatfully accepted.
Old May 26th 2006, 11:28 am
uk -> brisvegas

OGRADYA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I can recommend the Office of Fair Trading. I have used the Office of Fair Trading in Qld and they have been fantastic.

Also check out business.gov.au as they have links to all Australia wide and state organisations.

Best of luck
Alicia
Old May 26th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into importing goods a while back to sell online and the information I received was that anything imported has customs duty of 5% added on to the total cost of

the goods
shipping costs
insurance
gst

I decided that it would just prove too expensive for what I was wanting to sell so abandoned the idea.
Good luck in your venture.
Old May 26th 2006, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mand8002
I looked into importing goods a while back to sell online and the information I received was that anything imported has customs duty of 5% added on to the total cost of

the goods
shipping costs
insurance
gst

I decided that it would just prove too expensive for what I was wanting to sell so abandoned the idea.
Good luck in your venture.

5% on each one of those? Wow! Well, I guess it really depends on aggresively I market them in the long run. Thank you for that. Much appreciated.

Can I ask where you were looking to import from? The UK or elsewhere?
Thanks

Last edited by iPom; May 26th 2006 at 2:14 pm.
Old May 26th 2006, 3:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

M&S knickers????

Plllease tell me its weetabix - a friend at work is threatening to kill someone if she doesn't get some soon
Old May 26th 2006, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
M&S knickers????

Plllease tell me its weetabix - a friend at work is threatening to kill someone if she doesn't get some soon
Couldn't she be daring and break out of her routine and possibly try something new? Dick Smith's Bush breakfast is very nice.

No M+S knickers, no weetabix...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.