Here at last

Old Jan 24th 2004, 6:59 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here at last

Hi All,

We're finally reconnected after leaving England on 3rd January.

If you're not moving over straight after you've sold your house then SEND EVERYTHING with your initial shipment, because you WILL accumalate more stuff. We were 60kg over our allowance at the airport. Singapore Airlines charge £60 a kilo, Excess Baggage about £4 and our stuff arrived about a week after we did.

If you're staying at a hotel at Heathrow before you leave, check the fair with the taxi driver BEFORE you leave. We had to have 2 taxis because of all the baggage. Mine cost £10 for the 1.5 mile trip and Jim's £15!

We've rented a house in Bellbowrie which is really nice. Used cars aren't that much less than new, and in January dealers are desperate to sell, so we got a good deal on a new car.

It is incredibly hot here. In our first week, the wind was actually hot. It was like standing next to an open oven. You keep the doors shut to keep the heat out, not in like the UK.

Our stuff is still stuck at customs, so we're living in an empty house, apart from the stuff that was delivered from Harvey Norman today. If you ask, they'll give you a discount of between 10-20%. You can get a Virgin mobile for $99, including $29 worth of calls, so its not much more that the UK.

If you want to rent in the Chapel Hill area, you're looking at upwards of $400 a week fro anything decent. By decent, I mean clean, doesn't smell and isn't in a state of disrepair! There is also a lot of other people looking in that area.

We went up to Fraser Island last week while we were waiting to move in. I can really recommend the Kingfisher Bay resort. It was lovely. If you want to go there, make sure you head over in the morning, so that you're not driving along sand tracks in the dark without proper maps! An experience I'd not like to repeat.

Bye for now,
Jane
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:52 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Here at last

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Hi All,

If you're not moving over straight after you've sold your house then SEND EVERYTHING with your initial shipment, because you WILL accumalate more stuff. We were 60kg over our allowance at the airport. Singapore Airlines charge £60 a kilo, Excess Baggage about £4 and our stuff arrived about a week after we did.

If you're staying at a hotel at Heathrow before you leave, check the fair with the taxi driver BEFORE you leave. We had to have 2 taxis because of all the baggage. Mine cost £10 for the 1.5 mile trip and Jim's £15!

We've rented a house in Bellbowrie which is really nice. Used cars aren't that much less than new, and in January dealers are desperate to sell, so we got a good deal on a new car.

It is incredibly hot here. In our first week, the wind was actually hot. It was like standing next to an open oven. You keep the doors shut to keep the heat out, not in like the UK.

Our stuff is still stuck at customs, so we're living in an empty house, apart from the stuff that was delivered from Harvey Norman today. If you ask, they'll give you a discount of between 10-20%. You can get a Virgin mobile for $99, including $29 worth of calls, so its not much more that the UK.

If you want to rent in the Chapel Hill area, you're looking at upwards of $400 a week fro anything decent. By decent, I mean clean, doesn't smell and isn't in a state of disrepair! There is also a lot of other people looking in that area.

We went up to Fraser Island last week while we were waiting to move in. I can really recommend the Kingfisher Bay resort. It was lovely. If you want to go there, make sure you head over in the morning, so that you're not driving along sand tracks in the dark without proper maps! An experience I'd not like to repeat.

Bye for now,
Jane
Welcome again
I see that you did hit the Hot weather then, you should have noticed it has cooled down a bit now though ?

Old Jan 24th 2004, 9:01 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Bye for now,
Jane

WE WANT MORE INFO ON YOUR MOVE PLEASE
Old Jan 24th 2004, 10:44 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Its been bloody hot today ABC, that thunderstorm should cool things down, though!

What else do you want to know Timber? Its early days, yet, and we're still at the "everything's new and exciting stage".

Jane
Old Jan 24th 2004, 12:22 pm
WBB

Its been bloody hot today ABC, that thunderstorm should cool things down, though!

What else do you want to know Timber? Its early days, yet, and we're still at the "everything's new and exciting stage".

Jane

long may it continue.

good to hear from you again.

Old Jan 24th 2004, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Jane & Jim
glad to hear that you have arrived safely and seem to be settled, please keep us posted, can wait to find out all the details as Bellbowrie is somewhere we've considered
take care
Rach, Mark and chanelle
Old Jan 24th 2004, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jane and jim,

so far, so good.

Keep us posted, especially like to hear about the basics - did you need references to rent? etc
Old Jan 24th 2004, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Jane
What happened with that thunderstorm ? I was watching TV last, and kept seeing the thunderstorm warning going along the bottom of the TV screen, I also saw some flashes in the distance over the water, but never heard any rain or anything else.

Edit: I just read todays paper and saw all about the storm, it was BIG. How did I miss it ? Or did it miss me ?

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jan 25th 2004 at 12:58 am.

Old Jan 25th 2004, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
What happened with that thunderstorm ? I was watching TV last, and kept seeing the thunderstorm warning going along the bottom of the TV screen, I also saw some flashes in the distance over the water, but never heard any rain or anything else.

Edit: I just read todays paper and saw all about the storm, it was BIG. How did I miss it ? Or did it miss me ?
The storm right in the City was HUGE, We were staying in the City, 19th floor of the Sebel, all dressed up so we could attend function. About 8pm it was the loudest crack of thunder we have ever heard! That was it within minutes the streets were just running under about 6 inches of water. You could not possibly even cross the road. We went out on the balcony and could barely stand up. Absolutely fantastic views of the lightening. It probably rained like that for a good 45 minutes and when we finally got out of the hotel the roads were just like little rivers. Had to walk barefooted through the streets, half way up to my knees in places fancy dress hitched up and shoes in the handbag

Oh and sorry jane and jim, welcome to Brisbane. It has been stinking hot, but now the storms have started at least you get some relief in the evenings. Summer is half over now by April it will really start to cool down so hang in there. Were back on the Sunshine Coast now and its about 33 but the storms already on its way. Cant wait I love them.

Last edited by dotty; Jan 25th 2004 at 4:25 am.
Old Jan 25th 2004, 6:29 am
Just Joined

wittsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up JaneandJim

Fantastic news for you.

Dont know if m allowed here, Im not an expat as yet. We have just started looking into migrating to new Zealand, reading some of this forum shows me it doesn't have to be just a dream.....

All tips and clues please feel free to help.....

Would love to be joinin you all.....x

Old Jan 25th 2004, 8:35 am
Merlot

Hi All,

Bye for now,
Jane
Welcome to Oz, where have you moved from in the UK?

Good luck with everything.

Merlot

Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Hi All,

Bye for now,
Jane

It' good to hear things are obviously going well. I love these threads of those who finally made the move, especially when they're in the "new and exciting" phase. It sets lots of imagination free and I even enjoy the sting of envy, because I know one day I'll be in the same position!

Good luck and keep up the positive feeling!

Lavinia
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:40 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Hi Jane & Jim
glad to hear that you have arrived safely and seem to be settled, please keep us posted, can wait to find out all the details as Bellbowrie is somewhere we've considered
take care
Rach, Mark and chanelle
Hi Rach,

Bellbowrie is lovely but it depends what you're after, really. If you eat out a lot or want to spend time at the beach, then you're not going to get that here.

But if you want to just potter around a huge garden, hang out by your pool under the palm trees or go for walks in the forest, then its ideal. (We'd also like to play tennis, but how anybody does that in this heat is anybody's guess!)

You're only 10 minutes from decent shopping centres, the local shopping centre has enough for day-to-day needs and the CBD is only 25 minutes away. The schools around here are all good apparantly, but we'll test that out on Tuesday when Joseph starts.

Jane
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:45 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by steandleigh
Hi jane and jim,

so far, so good.

Keep us posted, especially like to hear about the basics - did you need references to rent? etc
Hi Leigh,

You don't need to bother with UK references, but you need to prove you're reliable and will pay the rent. Our letting agents wanted details of someone we knew in Australia who could provide a reference, and, because Jim will be self-employed and hasn't started yet, I had to show them how much money I had in the bank. Luckily we bank online, so I could just logon and show them that.

You need to try to get an address as soon as possible, because you can't do very much without it. We've been a bit in limbo until now.

Jane
Old Jan 25th 2004, 10:49 am
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by Merlot
Welcome to Oz, where have you moved from in the UK?

Good luck with everything.

Merlot
Hi Merlot,

We were living in the South East for a while before we came, but we're originally from the North East, me from Northumberland and Jim from Jarrow.

All seems so far away now....(half a world away!)

Jane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.