Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hep B and HIB vaccine for child?

Hep B and HIB vaccine for child?

Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:31 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hep B and HIB vaccine for child?

YES it does as they have threatened to stop my family assistance and they have already stopped the child care benefit. DD is now fully immunised waiting on the system to catch up.

Jo

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
It does NOT, affect you getting family assistance, but it does stop you getting Child Care Benefit. You do not have to have the vaccinations done but schools can refuse you a place, however many don't if you explain why. It is basically to help to prevent any sort of outbreak occuring within a particular school or child care facility, hence, why it affects getting CCB. My daughter's vaccines are not up to date, she hasn't had the hep B jab, nor whooping cough. I had reactions to these as a youngster so am not allowing her to have them. She will never have whooping cough jab whilst I make the decision for her as it was a life/death situation I was put in. As for hep B, will probably reconsider once she hits her teens. school has no problem that her jabs aren't up to date, nor do they know my reasons. CCB was paid to her for 2 years aswell, but they do know my reasons. It wasn't paid until they had my reasons in writing to be held at the immunisation registry. CCB no longer applies to her as we no longer use care.

Marie
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
My daughter's vaccines are not up to date, she hasn't had the hep B jab, nor whooping cough. I had reactions to these as a youngster so am not allowing her to have them. She will never have whooping cough jab whilst I make the decision for her as it was a life/death situation I was put in.
Marie
Have an empathetic hug from someone else who went through the same with the whooping cough vaccine. I was always told I had just gone "slightly blue" but when I got my medical records before emigrating I found out that my heart had stopped and I had to be resuscitated.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:10 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.futurefamilies.com.au/Vac...Compulsory.pdf

Both vaccinating and non-vaccinating parents are ‘equally’ entitled to child care assistance, and fee relief.
Vaccination exemptions; either medical, religious, conscientious or through natural immunity, are included in Maternity and Child Care Payment Acts 1997, and 1998

If you search on "vaccination child care benefit " in google, there are several similar links, and it does look as if anyone who is told they are not entitled to beneifts is being mis-informed. Imsuggest contacting Centrelnk, and insisting on speaking to someone at a reasonably knowledgeable level.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:45 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

This is true but you need to have got it certified from the doctor as to your reason for not having the vaccine. If you just dont have the injection then they see it that you are behind schedule and stop payments until you either have the vaccine or get a letter from the doctor signed to say you are opting out.

I had to get my daughter vaccinated as the doctor would not sign the form for me to opt out. Difficult to argue as DD had had 2 HIB injections what was my reason for not having the 3rd. It was missed when I moved back to the UK and I didnt see the big deal on our return until they stopped my payments for child care and threatened to stop my family assist.

Jo

Originally Posted by Pollyana
http://www.futurefamilies.com.au/Vac...Compulsory.pdf

Both vaccinating and non-vaccinating parents are ‘equally’ entitled to child care assistance, and fee relief.
Vaccination exemptions; either medical, religious, conscientious or through natural immunity, are included in Maternity and Child Care Payment Acts 1997, and 1998

If you search on "vaccination child care benefit " in google, there are several similar links, and it does look as if anyone who is told they are not entitled to beneifts is being mis-informed. Imsuggest contacting Centrelnk, and insisting on speaking to someone at a reasonably knowledgeable level.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

You need to complete a Concientious Objection Form. This is available on the Medicare website. Vaccination is NOT compulsory in Australia and your benefits cannot be held because of non-vaccination. To do so would be discriminatory.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:41 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
YES it does as they have threatened to stop my family assistance and they have already stopped the child care benefit. DD is now fully immunised waiting on the system to catch up.

Jo
Well in my situation, over 3 years of being here, not once have FAO been in touch re my daughter not being immunised, we have always had family assistance, not once has her status been questioned.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:12 am
Pass The Post

Well they told me verbally and by letter I would have it stopped if I didnt get the conscientious objection form signed or get the vaccination. They already had stopped the Child care benefit. The doctor wouldnt sign the form so I had the vaccination for my daughter.

My daughter has had most of her injections here then some in the UK and then returned to Oz. She was only missing the 3rd HIB.

Jo
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
You need to complete a Concientious Objection Form. This is available on the Medicare website. Vaccination is NOT compulsory in Australia and your benefits cannot be held because of non-vaccination. To do so would be discriminatory.
Hi Tuxtrip,

Thought you might be in this thread somewhere...

Here is the conscientious objection form link:

http://www.medicare.gov.au/public/fi...ction_form.pdf

This needs to be signed by the parent and the immunisation provider to say that they have "counselled" you on the "risks" of not vaccinating. If you wish to submit a CO, make sure you get copies of the signed form, as they have a habit of going "missing" once submitted to Centrelink. It's hard enough to get them out of doctors in the first place; they like having to replace them even less.