Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

LOWER NORTH SHORE SYDNEY

LOWER NORTH SHORE SYDNEY

Old Nov 4th 2008, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

dyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nice
Default LOWER NORTH SHORE SYDNEY

hi people ive just had a job offer from a company in belrose and will be playing rugby in chatswood or near there some place called roseville. can anyone give me any idea of what the accomadation is like around these areas and is it near to stay in manly?

also what is chatswood like and how far from the city is it? i should be there in around about 5-6 weeks just in time for a xmas on bondi or manly sweet as thanks guys!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 5:12 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LOWER NORTH SHORE SYDNEY

Originally Posted by dyson99
hi people ive just had a job offer from a company in belrose and will be playing rugby in chatswood or near there some place called roseville. can anyone give me any idea of what the accomadation is like around these areas and is it near to stay in manly?

also what is chatswood like and how far from the city is it? i should be there in around about 5-6 weeks just in time for a xmas on bondi or manly sweet as thanks guys!!!!
Belrose is a decent place to work. Chatswood would not be my choice of place to do anything to be honest; Roseville's OK, but not where to be if you're young enough to still be playing competitive rugby...!. The rugby teams up the Pacific highway corridor are all pretty good I believe.

Staying in Manly is definitely a possibility if you're working in Belrose. You'll be going against the flow as far as morning traffic goes... And it's a great place to live for the social side of everything with ferries from your doorstep right into the heart of the City, and elsewhere... Expect to pay $650-$750 per week for a 2 bed unit... Good luck...!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:34 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, Chatswood's not really what I'd call Lower North Shore. It's an ok suburb, plenty of amenities - I often go there to shop and to eat Asian food - but as I've said plenty of times on this forum I find it lacking soul. I wouldn't want to live there, unless it was the perfect house on the fringes.

We do live on the LNS and love it but it's bloomin' expensive - we rent a shoebox.

Just had to look up Belrose - sorry, still finding my way around myself. Don't know that area very well but when we were moving over we were recommended Frenchs Forest. Also told that you get a fair bit for your money in St Ives. Manly's nice, has a reputation for being a bit Yummy Mummy.

What are your circumstances, as they will affect what people recommend you. Family/couple? Single? If you're single, live somewhere lively and travel for work; if not, live somewhere more family-oriented (schools, etc.) and drive for your leisure. Will you drive or take public transport? Belrose looks to be well off the trainline.

Set yourself up a customised Google Map with your work, rugby club, etc., marked on it and get a feel for the suburbs and length/time of journeys.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Manly to Belrose is about 30 minutes without traffic, I would imagine it would take significantly longer in rush hour. Manly wouldn't be my first suggestion if you want easy access to Belrose and Roseville, but if you're single it's a great place to live so you might think it worth the hassle.

Dee Why might be another option if you want a beach-side suburb, in terms of km it's a shorter drive, but you will crawl along Warringah Road in the morning. It's a reasonably lively suburb and most of the housing is units (apartments) so it should be fairly easy to find something to rent. It has a very nice beach.

If you're looking for a family area it's much easier. French's Forest or Forestville would put you 5/10 minutes from Belrose and about 15 from Roseville. Belrose itself and surrounding suburbs are all good family areas with good schools but I wouldn't recommend them if you're looking for nightlife St. Ives (where I live) is pretty, green, safe and DULL. I can't see any reason to live here if you haven't got kids and you're looking for space. Great rugby club though (my 15 year old plays there). Do you have a particular reason why you want to play for Roseville?

I nearly forgot, Mona Vale would give you a 15/20 minute commute to Belrose, it's a beach-side suburb with easy access to lots of stunning beaches further up the coast. Newport also has a good rugby club.

All the above rely on you having your own car or relying on very dodgy bus services. Roseville is on the train line (North Shore) so easy access to the city, it would take you at least two buses to get to Belrose from there though.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

dyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nicedyson99 is just really nice

thanks for the info just to let the guys or girls who asked im single aged 26 and i play semi pro rugby here in england. the rugby club im playing for has found me a sponsored job with someone at there club and i have said i will play for them in return for there help as its allways hard to find people willing to sponsor.

i should be there soon about a month to 6 weeks to be hopefull just before xmas i hope. im just looking for the best options i will be earning around $70 thousand a year so i would like some idea of how much rent costs and what the area is like sort of thing. i used to live in chiswick near drummoyne before and that was a lush place to live.

thanks people look forward to hearing from you soon.