help with tra solid plasterer

Old Feb 7th 2007, 7:46 am
Just Joined

tony6524 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help with tra solid plasterer

hi i have the following for the tra is it anough

in depth reference for 3 1/2 years of training
a reference for the following years
a letter from the accountant stating that he has done the accounts for the last 3 years
a letter from the inland revenue saying that he has been self employed since 1997 to current date as a labour/solid plasterer

5 years tax return
a copy of cis card
a stat dec of employment

her is a copy of the references
I wish to confirm that Mr Tony Williams was employed by me as a full time trainee plasterer progressing to a fully trained plasterer. Mr Williams completed 3 1/2 years of on the job training before he could work unsupervised on jobs. I personally trained Mr Williams myself between 2nd September 1997 to 2nd march 2001 and he carried on working for me as a subcontractor until current date. After Mr Williams had completed his training and I was completely happy with his work, I sent Mr Williams on jobs unsupervised to complete.

Here is a break down on the training we covered:
Year 1 1997/1998 - phase 1
1st 6 months of training on a daily basis.

Mr Williams observed how to mix up the correct mixture for skimmimg, hardwall and rendering, I supervised him until he was able to do the mixes himself.

He then had to select the correct materials for each job, and mix up the plaster coatings accordingly. All materials were hand mixed in a plastic bath using a shovel and mixing drill. Also Mr Williams had to load the spot board and assist the plasterers to get started. Mr Williams also had to load bags of plaster (finish, bonding or hardwall) for the day ahead. Mr Williams would also carry water for the day and fill it up in 100 litre water butt or he would connect up sufficient water hoses if the water point was too far. Also during these 6 months Mr Williams was taught how to prepare the areas for plastering using self adhesive tape for board joints on walls and ceiling lines. Mr Williams used ladders, bandstands, scaffold towers or hop ups for the job ahead. Mr Williams then learnt to measure and cut metal beading, stop bead or mesh bead for designated areas ie; window displays ,window reveals and external angles. He was then taught how to secure and fix beads to all areas required ensuring that all edges of beads are straight and plum to make the angle 100% correct for plastering. Between doing these jobs Mr Williams would still have to mix up and load up to ensure that the plasters could carry on with there jobs. At the end of the day Mr Williams would scrape and clean walls and floors to ensure that all relevant areas are clean for the following day. He would then remove unwanted waste in the safest way possible and to designated skips. Mr Williams was also taught to clean hand and mechanical tools efficiently and safely for the following day. He would collect all tools at the end of the day and to start loading materials and water for the next day so the plasterers would get the best start in the morning.

Year 1 1998/1998 – phase 2.
6 - 12 months of training on a daily basis

Mr Williams was then taught to prepare and clean wall surfaces with a hard brush or floor scraper to remove any loose materials. Once the surfaces were prepared, Mr Williams would then work out what he would need for the job ahead, if it was board work, brick work or fast or slow block work.

2/3

He began by applying the scratch coat or backing coat to the walls by hawk and trowel. I taught Mr Williams this by applying plaster mix evenly to the wall in the most appropriate place to start. This technique did take some time to master in ensuring it all applied to the wall surface. Once the mix was first placed onto the wall surface, I then taught Mr Williams how to move and flatten the plastering surface to get it as smooth and flat as possible and then he would clean excess plaster off ceiling lines or floor lines to keep the edging or corners as straight and as flat as possible. Mr Williams was supervised doing this for 6 month until I was completely happy with his work. Mr Williams was then taught to rule the walls with a straight edge when we did hardwall work to ensure that they were flat and level for skimming. Doing this supervised for about 3 months until I was happy with the finished results. After ruling up Mr Williams was taught how to cut back all excess plaster from ceiling lines to ensure straight ceiling lines for plastering and coving and internal wall angles. At the correct time Mr Williams would scratch all of the wall with a plastic float in figures of 8 to maximize good keying with finish plaster, and then he would wait for the correct time to flatten with a finishing trowel, then the final preparation for skimming.

Mr Williams was taught how to apply the first coat for rendering

Year 2 1998/1999 - phase 3.
12 - 24 months of training on a daily basis

Once Mr Williams was fully competent in the above techniques, he was then trained and supervised in apply the finishing plaster for around 4 months. There was more technique required in this element of plaster work. The same tools were used for this ie hawk, trowel, wet brush, skimming bucket and internal angle trowel. However the consistency of the finish mix was lighter and had to be applied very thinly and smoothed at all times whilst working with the walls with a clean trowel and water ensuring that skim went on evenly and consistently to ensure maximum quality to end result. Mr Williams first started to do first coating of skim application in cupboards, utility rooms and toilets, so he applied 1st coat to all of the small area of a house until I was completely happy with work he was doing and felt confident that he was able to do it by himself following all health and safety regulations. After first coat was applied he would then wait the correct time to proceed with flattening, this would entail troweling the wall from bottom left hand corner troweling upwards three quarters of the wall and continue this troweling motion to the right hand corner and doing so from the top left hand corner half way down the wall to right hand side, using his trowel in the same motion. Mr Williams would then clean out all electrical sockets and walk the wall with towel in hand doing a horizontal towel motion from the top of the wall to the skirting line to ensure maximum smoothness to the area. Also during this time Mr Williams was trained to erect appropriate scaffolds and platform towers in accordance of the health and safety regulations. After this process Mr Williams was then trained to plaster ceilings, the same technique was used starting to apply the first coat in the right hand corner applying it in metre strokes and dividing the ceiling into sections ensuring he never went out of that section until he had got to the bottom left hand side of the ceiling and he then would continue with this section work until ceiling was finished, so using all of the techniques above to flatten ceiling ensuring maximum quality, washing all tools with clean water waiting to apply the final coat of plaster. Mr Williams did this for 3 months before he moved on to the final coat of skimming the ceiling, all the above techniques were used for the second coat.

3/3

Mr Williams was then trained in applying 2nd coat the final coat of plastering using all of the above techniques in applying 2nd coat.
Mr Williams would wait until the correct time to flatten as stated above, 1st trowel.
Then 2nd towel with water at the correct time, then 3rd towel optimum results
Last towel, polish scotch. Mr Williams did this until I was completely happy with the finished result and he felt happy doing this.

Year 3 2000/2001 - phase 4.
24 - 42 months of training on a daily basis

Once Mr Williams and I were sure he could carry out all the above techniques, he was then trained to apply various sizes and lengths of cornices for rooms/ceilings. He was shown how to measure lengths required, setting lines on walls to the depth required with chalk. He would then measure and mark lengths and mitre cut each one before applying to the walls with fibre bond, adhesive or plaster of Paris. All joints had to be filled in with appropriate mix or adhesive in order to finish each piece with the next piece.

Mr Williams was trained to use plasterboard for some walls or ceilings which could not have a first plaster mix applied. The plaster board was measure to size, then scored with a Stanley knife and cut into the required shaped piece. To fix in place this was done by screwing to timber, metal studs, screw gun or a dot and dab technique to fix direct to walling. Each relevant piece would then be checked to ensure they were level, this was done by a spirit level. Mr Williams was trained to do this complying with health and safety regulations.

When I was completely happy with all the above work Mr Williams was left to do this alone and I would check his work on completion. By the end of that year Mr Williams had picked up a good speed at plastering achieving excellent results. I was then happy to send Mr Williams on jobs alone.

Whilst Mr Williams worked with me, we worked in various types of buildings, therefore each job was very different in the types of rooms, ceilings and size. Therefore Mr Williams gained a lot of experience and first hand training with an experienced plasterer.

Should you require additional information please do not hesitate to contact me

signed

site manager
Iain Hamilton

and the other reference
To whom it may concern

I wish to confirm that Mr Williams worked as a solid plasterer from 3rd March 2001-current date

Mr Williams is working as a full time solid plasterer between the dates above, working between 45 and 60 hours per week.

Mr Williams is working as a sub contractor for myself for the above company, he has worked on various projects from new housing, schools to commercial building.
We are a large company covering the midland and northamptonshire area with over 40 site currently running
Mr Williams carries out all aspects of plastering including skim work, hardwall work, rendering,general making good and floor screeding. Mr Williams is able to go to a job and identify what materials and tools that are needed for the job ahead.

Mr Williams is fully able to prepare the area that he is to work on by cleaning, beading and taping and then will mix the correct mixture for the job whether it be skimming, hardwall or rendering or floor screeding. Mr Williams will then skim the walls making sure all ceiling, floor and corner lines were straight to be ready for skirting and coving which Mr Williams puts on. Mr Williams would use appropriate scaffold for high wall and ceiling work. Mr Williams’s work is always checked by a site foreman before being approved.

Tony carries out the following work:

Producing internal and external solid plastering finishes
Cleaning and preparing surfaces.
Skimming
Roughing on sand and cement
Floor screeding
Spar and wet dashing
Fixing coving
Tiling
Removal of damaged and cracked render and plaster repair
Measuring, cutting and fixing coving and ceiling roses
Applying and Fixing dry lining boards
Erecting and dismantling working platforms
Contribution to efficient working practices within the company

He used the following equipment in this position:

Hammers, including pick, claw and lump
Bolster chisel
Plasterers hawk
Steel floats
Drills
Measuring equipment such as spirit levels, measuring tap and jugs
Support rods
Trowels
Disk cutter
Chisels
Shovel
Ladders
Safety equipment such as hard hat, goggles, dust mask and steel toecap boots
Cement mixer
Plasterers bath
Brushes
Mixing rake
Wood float
Stanley knife
Planks and trestles
Feather edge/straight edges
Plasterers small stool
Plasterers derby
Mitre box for coving
Board lifter
Tyrolean flicker gun
Plasterers stilts
30 Transformer
31 Generator

2/2

Mr Williams always follows health and safety regulations for the job by wearing the appropriate clothes, shoes and hard hat. Mr Williams’s work is always checked by a site foreman before being passed. Mr Williams’s work is of an excellent standard and we have never come across a problem with his work.

In our opinion Mr Williams is reliable and trustworthy

If you have any queries please above contact details

site manager
iain Hamilton

is this enough info to pass the tra

thanks
Old Feb 18th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of
Default Re: help with tra solid plasterer

looks good

have a look at all my posts on plastering.

pm me if you need help with something.

by the way theres not a lot of solid plastering in oz.