Help with super

Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:43 am
Just Joined

lokum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with super

I need to open up a superannuation account soon as I recently started work here in Australia. I have been reading online articles about it and I’m still confused on what type of super to open, and through what company should I open with. I have actually spoken to a financial planner, and he told me that they can open up a super for me, however the initial advice would cost over $300, and there are other annual fees involved too. I think the fees are hefty and I would like choose myself the managed funds to invest in. Any recommendations on where I should open a super without going through financial planners etc. Thanks!
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:56 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Help with super

Originally Posted by lokum
I need to open up a superannuation account soon as I recently started work here in Australia. I have been reading online articles about it and I’m still confused on what type of super to open, and through what company should I open with. I have actually spoken to a financial planner, and he told me that they can open up a super for me, however the initial advice would cost over $300, and there are other annual fees involved too. I think the fees are hefty and I would like choose myself the managed funds to invest in. Any recommendations on where I should open a super without going through financial planners etc. Thanks!
Does your employer already have a scheme in place that you can join.

You can always change it later if you want too.

Old Jun 4th 2009, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The financial advisor's fees are tax deductable so not all that bad. However you do need to check out the other fees lurking in the background.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

wmckellar will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lokum
Lokum,

As stated if you are employed the employer should actually ask you what super fund you will like them to contribute your Super Guarantee into to. This is called super choice. You would be better going for an industry super fund as they have less fees that other super funds.

Hope that helps a little.

Will
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Is this link any help?

http://www.fido.asic.gov.au/asic/pdflib.nsf/LookupByFileName/Super-decisions-Jan-09.pdf/$file/Super-decisions-Jan-09.pdf