Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Potentially More Bad News for Victoria

Potentially More Bad News for Victoria

Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:18 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potentially More Bad News for Victoria

To add to the problems of swine flu and student bashing and mugging we could have this to look forward to.

El Nino likely in mid-2009: forecasters
AAP May 29, 2009, 7:36 pm

An El Nino weather event is increasingly likely to occur this year, possibly by mid-winter, the Bureau of Meteorology says.

In an updated forecast, the bureau says international climate models suggest Australia is headed for a drier than normal winter, particularly in the east.

"The average of the forecasts from each of five models predict El Nino conditions being established by the southern spring, and by mid-winter in four of them," the bureau says.

"There is now more agreement between the models than one month ago."

The bureau says the probability of an El Nino event in 2009 is "significantly higher" than the climatological probability of about 20 per cent.

The Southern Oscillation Index, used to predict the likelihood of an El Nino developing, indicates a "rapidly warming phase".

Sea surface temperatures have warmed across the Pacific Ocean and are now half a degree higher than average.

"Below the surface, equatorial Pacific Ocean temperatures are warmer than average by two to three degrees celsius," the updated forecast states.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Potentially More Bad News for Victoria

Can you help me understand when they say "drier winter". Does it mean ground water level will go down or it can have other bad consequences also?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

It means that the drought is about to get worse......living in a desert I'm used to seeing no rain at all though....
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our late Autumn/Winter has so far been a lot wetter than average I thought we were now in a La Nina cycle not an El Nino
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Our late Autumn/Winter has so far been a lot wetter than average I thought we were now in a La Nina cycle not an El Nino
Ultimately it all trickles down to "ground water" isn't it.. I mean what will be biggest benefit of a "Wet winter". I agree that "wet summer" has benefits like you get respite from scorching heat, rain droplets on your body give you heavenly feeling, etc
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
Ultimately it all trickles down to "ground water" isn't it.. I mean what will be biggest benefit of a "Wet winter". I agree that "wet summer" has benefits like you get respite from scorching heat, rain droplets on your body give you heavenly feeling, etc
Yeah, ok.

The point with regards to Melbourne is that they've had drought conditions for more years than they should and badly need months and months of rain. If it's going to be even drier then that's serious.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
rain droplets on your body give you heavenly feeling, etc
Plenty of other things will give you heavenly feelings. Ask a British expat about the UK chocolate they've acquired.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Unfortunately La Nina didn't deliver the benefits we used to get. I was surprised they're predicting an El Nino so soon.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

And thats what makes it even more puzzling that the great premier Brumby seems to think its a fantastic idea for Melbournes population to overtake Sydneys.
I also find it incredible we dont recieve the water here in Victoria that we once did most probably due to climate changes caused by global warming so we are going to build a desalinisation plant powered by brown coal, yes thats right brown coal the filthiest kind of fossil fuel available. Why are we firstly not switching immediatley to recycled drinking water, a proven technology thats relatively cheap and used in many countries around the world including the UK, 1 glass of water can be reused up to 9 times.

I think Australia will face many severe climate and enviromental challenges in the not to distant future, unfortunately because our wealth is so tied to the billions in tax revenue generated by coal, iron ore and unsustainable farming practises nothing will be done untill to late. To think that the once mighty Murray river no longer reaches the ocean is testament of how far this country will allow things to detiriorate before anything is done, not helped by self interested state governments.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by papilon
And thats what makes it even more puzzling that the great premier Brumby seems to think its a fantastic idea for Melbournes population to overtake Sydneys.
I also find it incredible we dont recieve the water here in Victoria that we once did most probably due to climate changes caused by global warming so we are going to build a desalinisation plant powered by brown coal, yes thats right brown coal the filthiest kind of fossil fuel available. Why are we firstly not switching immediatley to recycled drinking water, a proven technology thats relatively cheap and used in many countries around the world including the UK, 1 glass of water can be reused up to 9 times.

I think Australia will face many severe climate and enviromental challenges in the not to distant future, unfortunately because our wealth is so tied to the billions in tax revenue generated by coal, iron ore and unsustainable farming practises nothing will be done untill to late. To think that the once mighty Murray river no longer reaches the ocean is testament of how far this country will allow things to detiriorate before anything is done, not helped by self interested state governments.
Agreed. Falling waters levels is very worrysome problem. Everything possible should be done to counter it.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
To add to the problems of swine flu and student bashing and mugging we could have this to look forward to.
Do you know anyone with swine flu or someone who has been mugged?
Wake up its a big city why pretend it doesnt happen. Do you think it doesnt happen in Sydney, Perth, Hong Kong, New York, Manchester or Any other city? The media sensationalises a lot of things!

One thing though the state government id underestamating though is that Victoria, which was once the Garden State is rapidly becoming the Desert State.
And no we have not had our above average rainfall in Autumn Winter, We have just had our 3rd direst Autumn on Record and the 09th conescutive year of below rainfall average. And Winter has only been 7 days old so its too early to say but we have only had 16mm.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by papilon

It would take a lot longer to build a new power plant (especially one built on renewable principles) and a water desalination plant than it takes to build a desalination plant on it's own. We need water now. Solving the brown coal issue isn't on the same timescale.

It may come as a surprise to you but the UK doesn't directly recycle water. It cleans waste and puts it in the river. It is then picked up further downstream to be used again. The thing about water having passed through 7 people comes more from the fact that London is downstream from Oxford, Reading, etc... Direct recycling of water is not as prevalent as most people think. Victoria has started recycling water for agricultural use and this is a practical solution.

I agree that something needs to be done but it is also worth bearing in mind that this problem has come after 12 years of drought and some credit must be given that the supply hasn't become an issue sooner.

If El Nino does cause trouble this year then I'll be glad that they built a desal plant without waiting to solve the brown coal issue first.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by 29palms
Do you know anyone with swine flu or someone who has been mugged?
Wake up its a big city why pretend it doesnt happen. Do you think it doesnt happen in Sydney, Perth, Hong Kong, New York, Manchester or Any other city? The media sensationalises a lot of things!

One thing though the state government id underestamating though is that Victoria, which was once the Garden State is rapidly becoming the Desert State.
And no we have not had our above average rainfall in Autumn Winter, We have just had our 3rd direst Autumn on Record and the 09th conescutive year of below rainfall average. And Winter has only been 7 days old so its too early to say but we have only had 16mm.
I think you're arguing with the wrong man.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
On the plus side though my bit of NSW is predicted to have a mild Winter, plenty of sunny days and average rainfall.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
On the plus side though my bit of NSW is predicted to have a mild Winter, plenty of sunny days and average rainfall.
Nope. It's still not looking attractive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.